Prop Balancing !

dragonash said:
I swear, those balance bars remind me of those flying stick toys

http://sci-toys.com/scitoys/scitoys/aer ... _start.jpg

I almost want to find one, break off the stick and jam it in the prop lol

I had the same flashback... :lol: I used to take a nylon prop from one of my gas operated planes from back in the 70's, jam it onto a dowel, wrap twine around the dowel and put the end of the dowel in an old thread spool. When you pulled on the twine, that thing took off like you read about... :shock:

-slinger

funtimegrandpa said:
That is funny, but just for the heck of it I took a black top prop and tried it, It works lol..... a bit heavy, maybe I will try it with the phantom 2 blade!!!
OK, so you're all as mad as me. It's nice to be amongst friends :lol:

Though I am a grandfather of 6 I have always been called the Toyman !!! so it is not so strange for people in the neighborhood to give me looks and just wonder!!! I don't think I will tell my grandson about this toy or I will need to buy a new balance rod !!! instead when I go to the dollar store I will look for them Forgot how much fun you can have with something so simple, heck think how many I could have bought if I did not buy my Phantoms lol.....

For those of you using the DuBro balancer and the shaft from Atalanta Hobby and who feel the shaft is too short, take a look at this photo.

Attachments

• dubro.JPG
    dubro.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 571
SilentAV8R said:
For those of you using the DuBro balancer and the shaft from Atalanta Hobby and who feel the shaft is too short, take a look at this photo.

That's how mine is set up, but I put a level across the rod to be sure it was... level. Though I'm not sure that makes any difference at all... :)

I leveled line as well. The photo makes it look off.

BTW - when I did balance my props 3 of the 4 were fine and the 4th needed just a couple of passes of 220 grit paper to get it perfect.

Homebrew Balance Rod for Self Tightening Props

The key tool required to balance DJI's self tightening props is a rod (or rods) with LH and RH M6x1 threads. Various forum's members have made (or had made) such rods, and have sold some to others - they've come and gone, and the process has struck me as a bit iffy. The only "commercial" source I'm aware of is Atlanta Hobby. They want $9.95 for their rod which seems reasonable, but then you have to add shipping ... and many have commented that it's so short as to make the balancing process overly cumbersome. Besides, as an inveterate tinker, I often find myself scheming on how I can do something myself ... so I decided to take a shot.

Finding metric dies locally (especially LH) is a bit dicey (no pun intended), so I ordered a LH die from an eBay seller in China, hoping it would at least "work once" - $4.40 (free shpg). Then ordered a RH die via Amazon ($6.63 - free shpg per Prime). Finally a trip to a local hobby shop for a 1/4" x 12" aluminum rod ($1.80 - 1/4" is ~1/64" bigger than 6mm - as we used to say, "close enough for government work"). Though I've used handheld taps & dies before, I was concerned about cutting reasonably accurate threads - I don't have a lathe. But I do have a drill press. So I clamped the die to the drill press table, chamfered the rod with a file, chucked the rod in the drill press, lined the rod up over the die and, with gentle down pressure on the press handle, began turning the drill press chuck by hand. No doubt true machinists are having heart attacks at this point. But, frankly, I was surprised at how well it worked - the dies cut the aluminum like it was butter. Net investment, $12.83 and about 10 minutes. As you can see in the photo, I didn't have a handle that fit the RH die, but it turns out I didn't need one - it was big enough to be clamped on its own.

Ahh, but does it work? I had a DuBro balancer from my RC games years ago. As I worked through my DJI props, every one seemed well balanced. Ocassionally I'd get a repeatable stop but never with a blade pointed down ... so I'd move the rod in or out a bit relative to the DuBro, and it would no longer repeat. So I attribute that to imperfections in the rod where it happened to be resting on the DuBro wheels.

But with all the props apparently balanced, I wondered if my rod and Dubro combo were really working ... maybe it just wasn't sensitive enough. So I took a prop, put a 1/4" square of electrical tape on one blade, and put it to the test. Bam! The taped blade immediately spun to rest at the bottom.

I don't really know how accurate this combo is, but now I am feeling more comfortable that my props are reasonably well balanced.

Attachments

• 2014m05d13-01.jpg
    2014m05d13-01.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 454
I've had nothing but inconsistent results with the DuBro Prop Balancer. I bought the rod from Atlanta Hobby. (Reverse thread for P2 Props) The rod is pretty short but will work. The problem i have is with the balancing wheels themselves. Evertime i would put a prop on the balancer, it would stop in a different spot every time. And, it would stop as if the Dubro wheel had a flat spot. I went to a local machine shop to have a longer rod made and he inspected the Dubro wheels under an optical scope. The wheels were not perfectly tipped or smooth on the contact surface. There were imperfections.

I returned the Dubro and got another one. Same issue. The wheels are not smooth enough to allow the rod to spin freely without coming to a stop on an impefection.

He made me an awesome new shaft but the issue with the Dubro wheels prevents the rod/prop from stopping on it's own.

I think the P2 props are so small and light that they are more affected by the imperfect wheels.

Xrover said:
Dubro ... The wheels are not smooth enough to allow the rod to spin freely without coming to a stop on an impefection. ...I think the P2 props are so small and light that they are more affected by the imperfect wheels.

I have had the same reaction. One way to possibly compensate is to spin the DuBro wheels between multiple balance checks so the same "imperfections" aren't always in play.

The other piece of info that's missing is just how much of an imbalance is required to overcome imperfections in the Dubro wheels. Perhaps it's really very small. My experience with adding tape to a blade suggests that may be the case. The flip side is that if a prop consistently tests as out of balance (overcoming the imperfections), it's a reasonable bet that it is out of balance.

Just a comment. A perfectly balanced prop WILL stop at a different point every time it moves. Stopping at the same point is a sign of off balance situation. As is stopping (pausing) and then moving back to a point.

I have checked 4 sets of dji p2 blade and they all stop at different points during a balance check. But they all stop abruptly.

I got my rod from -
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2048016
Great finish - light weight aluminium - can only recommend them if you want to remove vibrations/jello.
I followed this video when balancing the prop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXuNnYQO2s4
I don't sand off the heavy blade but use some scotch tape instead at the leading edge (and not at the tips) of the light blade -
3 out of 12 blades I balanced required the hub to be as well.

Once a blade is balanced I screw it on the Phantom (only one prop), have a few weights placed on the landing gear, hold one of the other arms and apply throttle (do not do this its dangerous).
Most are fairly quiet at full throttle but some sound much louder (more vibrations) - I don't use those.
I finally check that each blade measure the same per this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv1HoCnKGBA
But I don't bend any unequal props - I just keep them in the case I do not have any better ones.
It takes me 15 to 30minutes to balance a blade. Just slightly breathing on the blade will make it move.

As I don't have a Dubro balancer I use a glass that I check is perfectly level (if its not you can't balance).
Once balanced the propeller will hold still wherever I stop it in a 360° range.

blade%20balance.jpg

hey guys, feel free to try this out.
I had an xacto knife and just took off the blade.

See below:

The bar doesnt even reach the threads because its very tight when going into the plastic part.
So no damage to the threads since it never touches

Attachments

• 20140629_222246.jpg
    20140629_222246.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 500
  • 20140629_222315.jpg
    20140629_222315.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 515
  • 20140629_222414.jpg
    20140629_222414.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 562
Great idea Dragonash. That works for me :!:

I have had great luck balancing props with a metal ball point pen refill which fit firmly in the prop threads, left and right. I place a few nuts on the opposite end to keep the rod level. I use a drinking glass on a level surface and also level the glass. I have noticed that the DJI props are "heavy" on the same end, left and right, and don't require much time balancing. I sand the material off the heavy blade rather than adding anything to the light side. I like to have the rotating mass as light as possible.

Note: replacement props, (marked 0-XOxO), are lighter than the DJI props, but need more time sanding on the heavy side. I would recommend NOT mixing props, in order to maintain the same weights.

I just received a Top Flite magnetic balance and used a small rubber grommet that fit the balancer shaft perfectly and can be snuggly fitted into the prop threaded opening. The prop then just "floats" in the opposing magnetic fields with almost no friction component (at least that I can see). As a result, I found that even brand new DJI props are not 'perfectly' balanced. I'm just unsure how 'perfectly' balanced they should be. Experimentation time!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj