Problems after update to 3.12

Reaction score
I have a Phantom V+ V3 with the vented wifi and 2.1 boards.

Before the update
When I first had a go of the Phantom it was picking up 12 sats without a problem but ever since I took the shell off to check what wifi module and boards I had I have only been getting 7-8 sats. I took the shell back off and done the connector mod to make sure it was secure. Still only getting 7-8 sats which I thought was weird. The Phantom was still flying great at that point and I was still flying in the same area.

I then done the 3.12 update which failed the first time. I done a power cycle and tried again. It says on the screen that it was done and updated but the Phantom was still beeping. I done a power cycle and checked the update to make sure it had been done and then done a basic IMU calibration and RC stick calibration. Took the phantom to a field where I had calibrated the compass before. The first try to calibrate I got a green flash and then a red flash so I tried a 2nd and then 3rd time. All seem ok the 3rd time so I took off to do the hover test. The Phantom started going around in a around a 10 meter circle on its own. I landed it right away and tried the compass again. I got the red light again for the first few times but seemed ok on the 3rd. I took off again for the hover test and it seems fine so I went up to around 300 feet where it seemed fine at first but then went a bit weird. You can see on the video it went from side to side its self and then started to move around the sky its self. I managed to bring it down slowly to land.

Anyone any ideas of what's went wrong?

Try doing an advanced IMU calibration in the Phantom Assistant application. Make sure your Phantom is sitting on a level surface before starting the calibration.

My P2V v3 did this exact same thing after updating. I'd did a basic imu calibration and had a bit of difficulty calibrating the compass too. The first flight was scary to say the least! The quad was almost uncontrollable but I was able to hand catch it without incident. Redid the compass calibration and it was flyable but then it was doing the circle drift.
Took it in, and did the advanced imu calibration on my pool table (the most level surface I have) and now it seems okay!
I haven't done any long flights yet because I'm waiting on my can-bus for my Flytrex which is being delivered today! Figured I'd play it safe so I don't kick myself in the *** if something goes horribly wrong like a fly away and I have the Flytrex sitting on my table because I was impatient! Lol!
So, fin032, try to do an advanced calibration. Make sure you have the quad perfectly level and there's nothing around that will interfere with the calibration. Should fix the problem.

I did the update but not flown since. I did do a advanced IMU calibration, compass calibration and GPS lock are fine as I tested that in the garden.
I am led to believe that you should always do an advanced IMU calibration after a firmware update......

is there a best practices method for performing the advanced IMU cali that would avoid that TOO Hot to calibrate popup message that recommends power down for 5 mins?

Should I wait overnight and then attempt to do the IMU adv Cali immediately upon powerup?

Sometimes I wonder if 3.12 has more issues than it's worth. I'm new to my P2V+ and I hate to spoil my first experiences with it on this firmware if from what I'm hearing its causing serious issues.

That too hot message will pop up practically evey time even if you kept it in the fridge.
Usually you can just click OK to acknowledge and it carries on successfully.
It is detecting a real issue in that the internal barometer does not read correctly if above ambient temperature - so you do want to avoid doing it after the phantom is on but stationary for more than a few minutes as they do get quite warm.

Rarely the IMU will take a ridiculously long time and seem not to complete, in which case cancel it and try again after an hour or so.
When that happens it probably really is too hot.

As for 3.12 I don't think it has any more issues than previous firmware
There has always been a rash of problems when it updates but after a while they pretty much all seem to settle down.
Like anything else it's generally best to keep on a recent version but you don't need have the very latest and it's definitely wise to wait a while for others to report problems.
If you are on 3.08 there's no need to cause yourself problems by updating early on.

4wd said:
That too hot message will pop up practically evey time even if you kept it in the fridge.
Usually you can just click OK to acknowledge and it carries on successfully.
It is detecting a real issue in that the internal barometer does not read correctly if above ambient temperature - so you do want to avoid doing it after the phantom is on but stationary for more than a few minutes as they do get quite warm.

Rarely the IMU will take a ridiculously long time and seem not to complete, in which case cancel it and try again after an hour or so.
When that happens it probably really is too hot.

As for 3.12 I don't think it has any more issues than previous firmware
There has always been a rash of problems when it updates but after a while they pretty much all seem to settle down.
Like anything else it's generally best to keep on a recent version but you don't need have the very latest and it's definitely wise to wait a while for others to report problems.
If you are on 3.08 there's no need to cause yourself problems by updating early on.

Thank you for that advice there and on the next FW update I won't be so quick to install it. :D

I updated the day it came out. Absolutely zero issues in over a dozen flights since. Then again, I have never had an issue with any update since I got mine almost a year ago.

Good to hear SilentAV8R. I think the error I have made was not doing the full IMU calibration. How did your update go? Was your Phantom still beeping when it says on screen that the update was complete and to do a power cycle. If you could let me know what you done that would be helpful.

Cheers

fin032 said:
Good to hear SilentAV8R. I think the error I have made was not doing the full IMU calibration. How did your update go? Was your Phantom still beeping when it says on screen that the update was complete and to do a power cycle. If you could let me know what you done that would be helpful.

Cheers

I do not recall this update going any differently from any other update I have done. Actually I cannot tell you if it was beeping or not. I simply cycle power when the popup says to do so.

Then I calibrate the transmitter using the RC Assistant
Then once again using the Phantom Assistant
Do a full IMU calibration
calibrate the compass before the first flight

and done. Never had an issue with any update following this procedure.

AmosMoses said:
My P2V v3 did this exact same thing after updating. I'd did a basic imu calibration and had a bit of difficulty calibrating the compass too. The first flight was scary to say the least! The quad was almost uncontrollable but I was able to hand catch it without incident. Redid the compass calibration and it was flyable but then it was doing the circle drift.
Took it in, and did the advanced imu calibration on my pool table (the most level surface I have) and now it seems okay!
I haven't done any long flights yet because I'm waiting on my can-bus for my Flytrex which is being delivered today! Figured I'd play it safe so I don't kick myself in the *** if something goes horribly wrong like a fly away and I have the Flytrex sitting on my table because I was impatient! Lol!
So, fin032, try to do an advanced calibration. Make sure you have the quad perfectly level and there's nothing around that will interfere with the calibration. Should fix the problem.
What flytrex is??

christodoulos1 said:
AmosMoses said:
What flytrex is??
http://www.flytrex.com/

Although at this point in time I can not recommended that anyone buy one. Don't have a working unit STILL...... Looks like at least another 2 weeks..!

SilentAV8R said:
fin032 said:

Cheers

I do not recall this update going any differently from any other update I have done. Actually I cannot tell you if it was beeping or not. I simply cycle power when the popup says to do so.

Then I calibrate the transmitter using the RC Assistant
Then once again using the Phantom Assistant
Do a full IMU calibration
calibrate the compass before the first flight

and done. Never had an issue with any update following this procedure.

Today I took all the steps above and took the Phantom out for a test at the same location I never had problem before the update.

Calibrated the compass first time and done a hover test for a good 3-4 min with 10 sats. It moved around a little 2-3 meters but nothing to bad. Standing with the Phantom dirrectly in front of me about 3 meters up I pushed the right rc stick fully forward and then let go after after the Phantom was about 30 meters away. As soon as I let go the Phantom should have stoped and hovered around the position. It didnt it went moving off to the right about 5 meters before hovering. I lined the Phantom back so I was facing the rear of it and pulled the right stick all the way back untill it was near me and let go. The phantom went way to the left this time. I tried back and forward a few more times but it was still doing the same thing so I brought it back to try the the compass again. This time after complete it got 1 greeb flash flowed by 3 red and then back to slow green flashing. I checked the sats on screen and I still had 10 as my first thought was is it was just telling me I had ander 6 sats with it being in naza mode in full GPS. I tried a few more times untill I got no red light but still had the same problem flying.

I never had any problems before I updated to 3.12. Do you think it would be worth me trying to down grade again?

Any advice will be helpful as just want to get it flying the way it was.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl