printing photos??

Reaction score
So i have a few real nice pics that i wanna print of and frame, but im struggling to get them to size how i want,

It seems if i go for the FIT option then width ways the picture is fine but there will be a border top and bottom,

so if i choose the TRIM option that basically zooms in on the picture so it does fill whatever size i choose but then it cuts out a chuck of the picture left and right..

Anyone shed any light on this?

Print size is just print size, it either fits or doesn't. Arrange it to get what Best Suits You. You could put some kind of a border across the top of your picture while it sets in the frame, it might make it look okay.

Reactions: Dazzauk
@Dazzauk what program are you using to edit/size your photos?

Reactions: N42742
Welcome to aspect ratio ;-) you can either crop to get the standard size you want, have some borders on either the top or the bottom, or print a custom size. Easiest would be to have borders and use a custom matt to cover the borders. That way you can use standard print sizes and standard frame sizes. It will just cost you a few bucks to have the custom Matt cut.

Reactions: Dazzauk and BigAl07
@Dazzauk what program are you using to edit/size your photos?

BigAL, im using lightroom 5 buddy,

and keeping the size as they were when they came out of the phantom 4 camera,

im printing with the epson software which came with my printer, epson easy photo print

Daz

Welcome to aspect ratio ;-) you can either crop to get the standard size you want, have some borders on either the top or the bottom, or print a custom size. Easiest would be to have borders and use a custom matt to cover the borders. That way you can use standard print sizes and standard frame sizes. It will just cost you a few bucks to have the custom Matt cut.

cant figure out how to print a custom size lol, dont want to crop any photos because the detail im loosing makes or breaks the photo as a whole, ive managed to get some custom photo frames, i think that might be the way forward, at least then i get all my photo printed.. Seems silly though that i cant make the full picture print the full page, but i guess like you said its aspect ratio..

Daz

Is there a size that i can print at which will incorporate the entire image?

You have two options- crop your image to the aspect ratio of the print media or print with borders.

When I go to crop media to say for example a 4x6 peice of photo paper, is it normal that I still loose some of the image?

I can’t seem to find a way to downscale the entire image to a certain size for example 4x6

And I’m terms of borders are these physical ones inside the frame?

Thanks

Daz

12x18 is about as standard as you can get with 4:3 ratio.

I’m not even sure I’ve ever played with the phantoms aspect ratios.

What are the options here, and what is the best one.

Or advantages / disadvantages?

Thabks

Daz

You need to learn to crop. 4:3 gives the full resolution, so the most to work with. Frame your photos a bit wide to allow for cropping different sizes.

Reactions: N42742 and Dazzauk
You need to learn to crop. 4:3 gives the full resolution, so the most to work with. Frame your photos a bit wide to allow for cropping different sizes.

And the 16:9 is not full resolution?

Is one shorter than the other or wider?

Ok because i figured my knowledge was rubbish of this aspect ratio thing, i decided to jump out of bed real quick (uk time lol) and take 2 pics in the same spot one in 4:3 and one in 16:9..

now i can see and understand that the 16:9 is a cropped 4:3...

The thing which threw me and the reason my setting was set to 16:9 since ive had the phantom is that 16:9 looks better on the computer and tv then 4:3 i dont know the reason for this? So someone im sure will teach me another lesson about this lol...

But because 4:3 is a fuller resolution photo then am i correct in saying its probably better to shoot all pictures in 4:3 and if you want to add them to a movie edit, or view them on tv or as i do use my photos for screen savers then thats when you crop them to 16:9...

And would i also be right in saying that 4:3 is much better if you want to print the photos off? Because it would seem you can get a standard size full print with out loosing lots of your image which is what was happening to me when trying to print...

Oh and one last thing, would i get better picture quality from my P4 shooting in 4:3? and if so how would cropping a 4:3 to 16:9 photo compare quality wise to actually shooting a 16:9

Daz

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TK-62119