Preflight check list

Reaction score
Hi all. I wanted to get some input from the more experienced flyers(basically everyone here) in composing a preflight checklist. Looking for a more comprehensive list from field experience vs. the basic DJI ones. Thanks!

Here is what I do fwiw...

1. Install Props, Battery & Memory Card
2. Remove Lens cap and Gimbal Lock
3. Power on GPS Tracker
4. Mount & Connect IPad
5. Turns on RC Transmitter
6. Set Ipad to Airplane mode but Enable Wifi to My cell phone
7. Close All Ipad apps
8. Power up Phantom
9. Wait about 30 secs and then open DJI App and click the Camera Icon
10. Verify Home Position is Set and locked / Safe to FLY Message at top and then I check my Compass MOD Value is close to 1500

Press RECORD if you're videoing the flight.

:)

There will be a lot of good advice on setting up the drone, but since the P3P is a camera foremost, these are the other preflight steps I take:

1. Observe the lighting to determine whether good footage can be produced, and the distances and altitudes the drone will have to be to find it.

2. Observe the obstacles such as trees and power lines, which may be along the intended flight path.

3. Observe where any people or animals are in relation to the flight path.

4. Consider whether there is any possibility of signal interference, such as dense trees, buildings, strong EMR, and rock outcroppings.

5. Make sure your spotter is ready and able to keep eye contact with the drone.

6. If the footage is for posting on a professional site, make sure all the owners of properties and people captured are willing to sign necessary agreements.

7. If children are present, make sure someone is available to deal with them and keep them out of the landing zone.

Safety,safety and then again safety. Just remember you are responsible. For any damages to anything caused by your quad or your flying. Accidents can and do happen. Keep in mind where you are flying and what would happen if she dropped from the sky. What would it hit what could it do and how bad would it be.
I don't want to scare you but we all must be mindful as pilots. We are responsible for our craft and any actions from it. After thinking safety then you go through your preflight check list.

How often does the compass need recalibrated?
When it needs it. The Phantom will tell you. Every flight is way too many, but typically if your flying location is 50 to 100 miles from your last calibration you should recalibrate.

Reactions: Jbundy63
If your Phantom begins to fly erratic, drift a little or act strange safe to say re-calibrate to be safe. Also a good rule of thumb is to re-calibrate if you move 15-20 miles from your last location, other say further is ok, but be safe as the earths magnetic fiel changes with the outlay of the land. The ole say is in effect .... Better safe than sorry!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl