Power Lines

Are you referring to say an AC motor that draws 10 amps at 120volts but 5 amps at 240volts?
This is because of the phase difference of the two 'hot' legs but the power consumed (watts) is the same.

Is this what you meant: that higher voltage requires less current for the same Power?

Now with regards to ohms law, an increase in voltage results in an increase in current.

Current (I) = volts (E) / resistance (R)... I=E/R
As Voltage increases Current MUST increase as well.

In less words I was trying to say the greater the voltage the lower the current.
That's why transmission lines from the power company run such high voltages. Less current means less heat which causes loss

1200w toaster @120v = 10 amps
1200w toaster @1200v =1 amp

Way off topic now but all I was trying to say was there is far less currant (amperage) on a high voltage power line than there is on almost anything in your home.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1436467760.897649.jpg

I think we were on different pages but all on the same page again! So if anyone has basic question about ohms law they can refer to this topic!

That's what I asked him but I agree that must be his intent within the context of distribution.

Definitely in a circuit if the voltage increases a corresponding increase in current will occur and at some point a substantial increase in resistance will happen catastrophically altering the equation for ohm's law.

In less words I was trying to say the greater the voltage the lower the current.
That's why transmission lines from the power company run such high voltages. Less current means less heat which causes loss

1200w toaster @120v = 10 amps
1200w toaster @1200v =1 amp

Way off topic now but all I was trying to say was there is far less currant (amperage) on a high voltage power line than there is on almost anything in your home.
View attachment 24379

Your toaster must be designed to toast at the higher voltage. A 120v heating element in a toaster operated at 1200v will draw 100 amps, for a second or two, before the lights go out and the P3 crashes. lol

OK. Thank you for the electrical engineering lesson. Shall we get back to crashing Phantoms into power lines? ;)

Reactions: snowghost
Ok Tesla... Either way just use caution around power lines for Christ sakes. Love u all. [emoji366]

I did a shoot at a state park where transmission lines essentially bisected the park at elevation...
Here is the video from that morning:
Great video...

Did you feel you could have used an even stronger ND filter (16 or 32)? I am now filter shopping and the SnakeRiver is on the short list...

SAY WHAT? WHAT TOPIC -- Power lines? Ohms law? or Snake river:D:D

Related question, the company I work for just installed a massive solar farm in front of our flagship plant. I offered to so a "professional" video and photo shoot for them. It's maybe a 3.5 million square foot facility that I've flow my old p2 at before, but not with the solar farm..they were wanting some low and slow fly over clips of the solar panels and various other parts of the facility. Obviously I'm doing this on the side as a weekend project, but don't want to go out there and fly over them and see it go nuts and crash in front of the president. Any idea if this is overly risky?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Related question, the company I work for just installed a massive solar farm in front of our flagship plant. I offered to so a "professional" video and photo shoot for them. It's maybe a 3.5 million square foot facility that I've flow my old p2 at before, but not with the solar farm..they were wanting some low and slow fly over clips of the solar panels and various other parts of the facility. Obviously I'm doing this on the side as a weekend project, but don't want to go out there and fly over them and see it go nuts and crash in front of the president. Any idea if this is overly risky?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

So you need to take a look at where voltages above a couple hundred volts or a few amps. Then look where any network wireless equipment may be. If it is all clear then no problem, fly around and shoot video.

Has anyone tried flying close enough to a large pylon to take inspection video?
I have not seen any interference from power lines. I made an orbit, pans and some up and downs flying 10ft away from a very powerful one. I did not feel anything strange. I can upload video where I am very close to power lines.

I would be cautious and extend range and closeness in steps in case you do have an interference issue that is chopping your signal. By all means keep the aircraft in sight until you verify the signal integrity and strength.

Good luck:)

Reactions: tvckz
I would be cautious and extend range and closeness in steps in case you do have an interference issue that is chopping your signal. By all means keep the aircraft in sight until you verify the signal integrity and strength.

Good luck:)
Thanks a lot man, for that "By all means keep the aircraft in sight " I just add ALL THE TIME. It is not a CIA drone - it is a flying camera.

Reactions: Fox-177
I have not seen any interference from power lines. I made an orbit, pans and some up and downs flying 10ft away from a very powerful one. I did not feel anything strange. I can upload video where I am very close to power lines.

Thanks Tvckz, interesting thread - a lot of caution required I feel!!!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl