Possible Firmware Bug Leads To Crash & $700 Repair (Video)

Re: Possible Firmware Bug Leads To Crash & $700 Repair (Vide

Jstic said:
It is absolutely true. Take your phantom out and connect with a tablet, then try and connect with your phone while connected to tablet. You CANNOT get the connection. I know because I have tried on multiple occasions. I mean come on, DJI may not be on top of everything with their products, but this is a no brainer.

I must admit I have tested this long time ago and only by connecting to the WiFi and using SSH. That worked. Afterwards I saw someone mentioning that the camera was only blocking multiple connections but that everything else worked from multiple devices. So I took that for granted.

Anyhow I tested it now myself. Two devices, an iPad(owner) and an iPhone(hacker).

1. Both devices successfully connected to the Wifi network(no blocking there). Both devices successfully started the VISION app and both are showing the green light beside the Phantom network name on the top.

2. Only the first app that was started got the camera image, telemetry information and ability to use the ground station part of the app. The other app(from hacker's device) got no image, no telemetry(everything N/A, except the battery status of the Range Extender) and when swiped to ground station part I would get an warning on screen saying: "Ground Station Failed to Open". Cool. Seems to be at least somewhat safe then!

3. Went to settings part of the VISION app on the hacker's device. Settings were there, perfectly readable and I could change them. So I went to change the WiFi (SSID) name. The idea was that if I change the WiFi name, the owner device will loose connection and will probably not be able to connect again(since he will need much more time to conclude which WiFi network is now his). OK. The app allowed me to change the name, but for verification it asked me last six characters of the MAC address(that AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF type of address) of the Range Extender. That was probably imagined to be some sort of security, but it is not. Since the MAC address can easily be obtained with for example Fing app(available on the App Store). Or even if the owner has not changed his Phantom's WiFi name from original factory setting, then the last six characters that are required are already part of the WiFi name!!! after Phantom_ prefix.
Long story short. WiFi name was successfully changed. The original/owner device lost connection. I reconnected with the other/hacker device and acquired full control.

This was a simple scenario that anyone without special knowledge can execute. A person with knowledge would connect to SSH, drop active connections there and connect with VISION app, way faster. And later he can also change the SSID and even enable WiFi encryption.

Basically DJI has not implemented blocking multiple connections at the WiFi level, only at the app level and even that not to complete extent. I seriously don't know why isn't WiFi encryption enabled by default?!

The title represents a logical fallacy to date.

While I do sympathize with the loss, the OP has confused correlation with causation.

Mori55 said:
Why do we always get , the are you Naza mode ? Naza mode has nothing to do with this ! I'd you lose sat lock it goes in Atti mode. Learn how to fly in atti !
:roll:
Being in the NAZA mode could have everything to do with it. When you look at the video it looks like he's not in the GPS mode but in Atti. He said he had good sat lock. If he was in NAZA and the S1 switch was accidentally centered OR the S1 switch is UP but intermittent (known problem) he would unknowingly be in Atti. Then as a newbe, used to being in GPS mode, when he took off, any right stick movement would cause continued unfamiliar flight response as he would be expecting a solid GPS hover, then panic, then crash.
If he was in the Phantom mode and had good sat lock, then the video is harder to explain.
I'm not knocking the NAZA mode as you imply but it could be a part of his particular failure sequence.
My question was to help narrow down the possibilities and not slight what mode he is in.

More likely unaware of the GPS lock being lost by recording.
Had 8 sats,started recording and lost the lock so it went into ATTI mode.

TeeJayN said:
Mori55 said:
Why do we always get , the are you Naza mode ? Naza mode has nothing to do with this ! I'd you lose sat lock it goes in Atti mode. Learn how to fly in atti !
:roll:
Being in the NAZA mode could have everything to do with it. When you look at the video it looks like he's not in the GPS mode but in Atti. He said he had good sat lock. If he was in NAZA and the S1 switch was accidentally centered OR the S1 switch is UP but intermittent (known problem) he would unknowingly be in Atti. Then as a newbe, used to being in GPS mode, when he took off, any right stick movement would cause continued unfamiliar flight response as he would be expecting a solid GPS hover, then panic, then crash.
If he was in the Phantom mode and had good sat lock, then the video is harder to explain.
I'm not knocking the NAZA mode as you imply but it could be a part of his particular failure sequence.
My question was to help narrow down the possibilities and not slight what mode he is in.

I'm a newbie, and trying to learn as much as I can. Even in Phantom mode, it you lose Sats will it not automatically switch to Atti? So no difference between Phantom or NAZA modes in this case correct?

Yes it would switch to Atti. in Phantom mode as you described but what the poster above you is saying is that in Naza mode you also have the potential to unknowingly enter Atti. via the switch S1.

Took my phantom to the dealer, new camera system, new props and landing gear I paid about $800 out the door including taxes. I now have the carbon fiber gimbal protection mount and prop guards installed in hopes that any future crash yields better results. Sucks paying $800 when you just paid $1300 5 days prior but it is what it is I guess. Found a guy (usdronerepair.com) that claims to be able to fix them for $200 so might try that route and keep it as a backup.

When the phantom was on the ground it had a full gps lock, as I switched to the camera to start the recording maybe it did lose GPS lock and caused the drift (which is pretty clear to see in the beginning of the video) however I'm still confused as to how it turned left and began a rapid climb right before it hit the tree.

Needless to say, I'm going to be twice as careful now. I love my Phantom! Dealer did a few test flights after the repair and everything seemed great and stable.

Anon-e-mouse said:
Took my phantom to the dealer, new camera system, new props and landing gear I paid about $800 out the door including taxes. I now have the carbon fiber gimbal protection mount and prop guards installed in hopes that any future crash yields better results. Sucks paying $800 when you just paid $1300 5 days prior but it is what it is I guess. Found a guy (usdronerepair.com) that claims to be able to fix them for $200 so might try that route and keep it as a backup.

When the phantom was on the ground it had a full gps lock, as I switched to the camera to start the recording maybe it did lose GPS lock and caused the drift (which is pretty clear to see in the beginning of the video) however I'm still confused as to how it turned left and began a rapid climb right before it hit the tree.

Needless to say, I'm going to be twice as careful now. I love my Phantom! Dealer did a few test flights after the repair and everything seemed great and stable.

Exactly what my mates did,almost to the letter.
His climbed for no reason and then shot sideways before finally hitting a tree

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing