Poor Quality Photos - P3A

Reaction score
Hi. Drone and photography newbie here - P3A. So I'm learning about setting ISO and shutter speed. I'm not satisfied with the quality of my photos overall. They lack focus and definition. I attach a photo I took this morning at daybreak. (Settings = size 3.7MB; dimensions 4000 x 3000; shot 1/100 sec f/2.8 3.61mm; ISO 800) Also, I can't seem to find much information on setting the f/stop. Is there such a thing? Any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• DJI_0018.JPG
    DJI_0018.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 310
Yeah the photos on the non p4p models are pretty bad. There's nothing much you can do about it

Hi. Drone and photography newbie here - P3A. So I'm learning about setting ISO and shutter speed. I'm not satisfied with the quality of my photos overall. They lack focus and definition. I attach a photo I took this morning at daybreak. (Settings = size 3.7MB; dimensions 4000 x 3000; shot 1/100 sec f/2.8 3.61mm; ISO 800) Also, I can't seem to find much information on setting the f/stop. Is there such a thing? Any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks.
There is no diaphragm on the P3 camera. All photos are taken at the fixed aperture value of f2.8
To improve the images you take with that camera, try having a prominent subject closer to the camera, rather than a lot of background detail.
Try to have the sun behind your drone and lighting the subject.

It’s the 800ISO that’s in play here, if you shot in manual with the ISO at 100 and used the histogram to expose to the right it would appear a lot sharper.

I have the 3A and the photo you just posted looks like you have not removed the plastic lens protector. Don't listen to the P4 snobs, the 3A has an excellent camera, for a toy. Remember these are all toys. Real cameras don't have propellars, those are for airplanes. :)

I have the 3A and the photo you just posted looks like you have not removed the plastic lens protector. Don't listen to the P4 snobs, the 3A has an excellent camera, for a toy. Remember these are all toys. Real cameras don't have propellars, those are for airplanes. :)
No, that's not it. Thanks.

There is no diaphragm on the P3 camera. All photos are taken at the fixed aperture value of f2.8
To improve the images you take with that camera, try having a prominent subject closer to the camera, rather than a lot of background detail.
Try to have the sun behind your drone and lighting the subject.
Thanks for the advice.

Low light photos are always going to be problematic, especially with these cameras. A minute's work with Photoscape freeware can do a lot for a photo like this. I'm no expert in post processing by any means, and it's always best to have the original photo as close to perfect as you can, but that can be difficult when you're trying to concentrate on flying.
DJI_0018-R.JPG

This could be helpful.

More information is available with a Google or Youtube search using 'Phantom 3+histogram'.
Thanks Steve. It's starting to make some sense. I'll load the histogram next time I fly and practice with a few shots which I'll try to evaluate later.

Low light photos are always going to be problematic, especially with these cameras. A minute's work with Photoscape freeware can do a lot for a photo like this. I'm no expert in post processing by any means, and it's always best to have the original photo as close to perfect as you can, but that can be difficult when you're trying to concentrate on flying.View attachment 87077
Much appreciated. I have zero experience so I'll check out this Photoscope Freeware. Steve has given me some pointers on using a histogram. Big learning curve for me, and yes, the need to stay focused while flying over water. I try to take pics early in the morning or near sunset for effect, but also because I don't want to attract attention to myself, at least not yet while I'm learning. The buildings in the photo way in the back on the east side of the river are the Parliament Buildings in Ottawa (Peace Tower and Parliamentary Library barely visible). I tried to get closer but the lads who work for the city had yet to unlock the barricades to the parking area. I'm gonna try again though. I also have to be careful that I'm not in a restricted or no fly zone - another learning curve.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart