P3A - Focus issue?

Reaction score
Hello fellow pilots!

If anyone can spare a minute to look at this photo and give me your opinion on the focus and overall quality.

My main issue is the focus, I think it looks poor.

I feel like the quality isn't as good as when I bought the drone(Sadly I can't find any uncompressed photos from early on).

Settings as follows:

ISO - 400
1/4000 S.
3.61mm
f/2.8

Link will download in RAW: Image

I understand the ISO should have been lower and shutter speed slower but in this situation I wasn't able to change the settings. I feel most sensors these days can perform reasonably well at iso400.

Any thoughts are massively appreciated!

Niall

Hello fellow pilots!

If anyone can spare a minute to look at this photo and give me your opinion on the focus and overall quality.

My main issue is the focus, I think it looks poor.

I feel like the quality isn't as good as when I bought the drone(Sadly I can't find any uncompressed photos from early on).

Settings as follows:

ISO - 400
1/4000 S.
3.61mm
f/2.8

Link will download in RAW: Image

I understand the ISO should have been lower and shutter speed slower but in this situation I wasn't able to change the settings. I feel most sensors these days can perform reasonably well at iso400.

Any thoughts are massively appreciated!

Niall
why couldn't you lower the ISO? Was the camera in auto or manual? Even in auto, you should be able to change the ISO. Lowering it will help reduce some noise.

Don't know if it was the download or just what, but on my tablet the image is really poor. Looks like some of the newbie pics we see when they forget to take the protective film off the front of the UV filter.

why couldn't you lower the ISO? Was the camera in auto or manual? Even in auto, you should be able to change the ISO. Lowering it will help reduce some noise.

It was in manual, I snapped this pic and very shortly after received a battery error so had to bring it down.

As I mentioned the ISO shouldn't be a problem at 400. The light was good.

It's more the focus I'm concerned with, I'm a fairly experienced photographer so I'm aware how the ISO effects the quality. Comparing this to one with lower ISO yields the same quality image.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Don't know if it was the download or just what, but on my tablet the image is really poor. Looks like some of the newbie pics we see when they forget to take the protective film off the front of the UV filter.

Your tablet will have rendered the embedded jpeg witch can be poor in comparison to the RAW.

Definitely no film on the camera.

Your right - Technically its not a great photo and does appear to have blurred areas - It should be better / sharper! Sorry....

It was in manual, I snapped this pic and very shortly after received a battery error so had to bring it down.

As I mentioned the ISO shouldn't be a problem at 400. The light was good.

It's more the focus I'm concerned with, I'm a fairly experienced photographer so I'm aware how the ISO effects the quality. Comparing this to one with lower ISO yields the same quality image.

Try uploading the jpeg, not the raw image...

Hi Niall

Took it into Photoshop and applied a bit sharpness etc. doesn't look to bad, saved it as a jpeg.

Attachments

• RAW.jpg
    RAW.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 256
Seems 2/3rd's of the shot is badly out of focus from the left-hand edge across to the final 1/3 on the right. Look the sharpness mountain edge. Follow it from right to left - you'll see when it goes out of focus, and looking down, so does the rest of the image below it...

There is a fix...
Just adjusted the focus of my P3P... WOW!!

Seems 2/3rd's of the shot is badly out of focus from the left-hand edge across to the final 1/3 on the right. Look the sharpness mountain edge. Follow it from right to left - you'll see when it goes out of focus, and looking down, so does the rest of the image below it...

There is a fix...
Just adjusted the focus of my P3P... WOW!!

Thanks! I'll take a look at this. I'm gonna take some reference shots to see what it looks like.

Wasn't sure if it was my eyes. I'll take a look at adjusting it.

Thanks for your advice sir!

Niall

Hey all, I decided to use this thread, as I noticed there are several covering this issue, instead of creating another one (hope you dont mind)
P3A here, bought it from a person-all functions, range, batteries, controls-works fine.

So I have some concerns if the focus is as it should be... the original owner sent me a photo from a good sunlight (as its winter here and the lighting is pretty poor) from three months ago. ISO100 (which everyone says its critical for non-grainy photos, 1/500)...I know its a jpeg, but does it look like this is the quality of the P3A photos, or it seems blurred/out of focus to you? Ofcourse I know RAW will be better, plus Im good in Photoshop so I will be able to increase the contrast. Is this the best quality I can get from P3A's camera, or is the focus a little off? Maybe I was concerned because since I have, I only had the chance to test the camera on dusk light or indoor artificial lighting(which is enough for the human eye, but not enough for such small sensor, I know) and it looks very grainy...I assume its because the Auto setting sets the ISO way above 100, which results in digital noise.

Attachments

• DJI_0049.JPG
    DJI_0049.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 239

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl