PolarPro Cinema Series filters

question on polarizes I have the cinema series . How does one adjust the polarizer while flying?. Example: Sun is behind me and I'm filming a house with a ND16 Do I just aim at the sky and rotate before I take off and then land every time I want to shoot another angle. Sun could be at a different angle or side from where I maybe standing. Or do I aim down and adjust with it looking at the concrete driveway. Im not seeing how these polarizes filters can work well when your up flying and the sun is at different angles through out the shoot. Am I better going with straight ND filters ??

This thread has terrific information for novices like myself.
As I am trying to cover all my various situations that I believe I will be flying in (over water, mountain landscapes, parklands, moving targets, etc) but not snow or desert, I couldn't make a final decision between the "Cinema Series Vivid Collection" or the "Filter 3 Pack" (Gunmetal Edition), so I ended up buying both sets. I consider I've made a wise choice & trust I should now be ready for any location & situation I see myself in.
Can't wait to try out the new lenses.
Jeff, I'll shoot you off an email to make sure I get the cases & lens cover.

Reactions: PD1015
I received the filters and thanks Jeff for the lens cover.

Question: Is the top of the filter (the point you aim 90d to the sun) marked by the white diamond between the words "Polar" and "Pro?"

Also, what is the white string for?

Thanks,

Jim

can I buy a 32 by itself or do I have to order the 6 pack, I already have a 16 but would like to get a 32

29010844450_6e49a54ee8_k.jpg

Filters arrived. Case is very nice. Looks very cool on the Phantom 4. I have the Cinema Series - ND 4, 8 16 Polarizers. Most not icicle in the sky.

NoCo Drones

Last edited:
Polar Pro, and in particular Jeff, is the best business I've ever dealt with online. Jeff answers emails incredibly promptly, and does what he says he is going to do. I ordered the Cinema Shutter series to go with my CP, ND4 & ND8. I got 10% off thanks to the Summer deal, and Jeff included a 6 filter case and a gimbal mount for free. All up, my order, including shipping to NZ was under US$100 and it all arrived on my doorstep in 6 days.
DJI itself and its local distributors could take a leaf out of Polar Pro's book on how to deal with the public - the paying customers.

Reactions: 2nd2non
I received the filters and thanks Jeff for the lens cover.

Question: Is the top of the filter (the point you aim 90d to the sun) marked by the white diamond between the words "Polar" and "Pro?"

Also, what is the white string for?

Thanks,

Jim
did you ever get a answer to the diamone question from Jeff. I sure would like to now also

When you guys adjust your cinema series vivid lens do you look into the sun or keep the sun at your back?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Just got my PolarPro filters, they work amazing.

IMG_2948.JPG

how to adjust the polorizer one

Although this is a long thread to read, answers to your questions on this page are found throughout the thread. I'd suggest a thorough review of the info contained here.

did you ever get a answer to the diamone question from Jeff. I sure would like to now also

Coming from a photography background, a polarizer has the strongest effect when it is used 90 degrees to the sun. If you're shooting around mid-day, you'll have pretty decent coverage in any direction when the sun is directly overhead. Obviously more or less depending on the time of year and your location above/below the equator.

One quick setup method would be to hold your hand out and point your index finger at the sun with your thumb extended like you're making a gun with your hand. Now rotate your wrist to the left and right while still pointing your index finger at the sun. The direction your thumb ends up pointing towards is the shooting direction you need to be in to get the maximum polarization effect from your filter.

Point your drone's carmera in the direction your thumb was pointing to and slowly rotate the ND polarizer while looking at your smartphone/tablet's video to see the max effect that you want. You shouldn't need to readjust your filter for general shooting as you will still get some decent polarization effect regarless.

I've never seen indexing marks on a polarizer as there are just too many variables to consider to make it worth having index markings.

Now, the drawback to using max settings with polarized filters on wide angle lenses is that the lens' angle is so great, you might be getting maximum effect on one side of the image and only partial on the other side because that part of the frame is outside the sweetspot leading to uneven blue skies. Fortunately with video, the images are constantly changing and viewers would usually be too distracted to notice. The next time you watch someone's drone video that has footage of blue skies, look at the left side of the image and quickly to the right and see if you notice one side being darker than the other. If you do, there's a good chance they used a polarizer filter. :)

Thought I'd throw this out there.

So Jeff, how about an ND32/PL and ND64/PL Cinema Series filters? :)

Reactions: BrettW
I didn't. I'm still experimenting with the filters but for now I'm going with the diamond as a reference point for alignment.

I'm finding the Polar Pro filters sometimes work loose. I'm very conscious about not over tightening them, but I find I need to be firm. So I'm checking the filter each time the aircraft comes down from a flight and before each new flight.

Arrived Monday, Tested yesterday very briefly. the 16 & 32 are going to be sooo helpful here in Florida. Both allowed me to be around 1/50 or 1/60 while it was overcast! All I need to do now is hone in my STYLE/COLOR settings.

Reactions: Trinimon
I'm finding the Polar Pro filters sometimes work loose. I'm very conscious about not over tightening them, but I find I need to be firm. So I'm checking the filter each time the aircraft comes down from a flight and before each new flight.
That should be part of every preflight check. I can't tell you how many times in a single day I check the filter just to be sure.

I guess you can always use a small piece of duct tape to secure the filter? That kinda sucks though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart