polar pro filters

Reaction score
Looking to pick some up but confused witch one is the ideal multipurpose one to get

I don't think there is any particular one for multi purpose. Weight can be an issue. If you spend a bit more money and buy a decent set of varying filters to suite different lighting conditions

I guess what I am asking is what does the different numbers mean like ND-4 compared to a ND-8 and so on? I am looking at the model# P4-1203 from polar pro

I have three ND filters ranging from 4-8-CP from polar pro. The lower number I use for morning and evening use, the 8 and CP mid day, depending on how bright it is. I am a rank amateur at filming but they do stop a lot of the glare, water reflections and assist in bringing out the true colours of what I am filming at the time. The P4 1203 is the pro cinema pack of three. Bit expensive but they are matched to the P4 by way of weight and quality.

Reactions: antnyp85
I guess what I am asking is what does the different numbers mean like ND-4 compared to a ND-8 and so on? I am looking at the model# P4-1203 from polar pro
The numbers refer to the density of the lenses, the higher the number the darker the lens. An ND4 you would typically use a ND4 on bright cloudy days, an ND8 around midday on a partial sunny day, an ND 16 on really bright sunny days. There are higher rated lenses but all depends on what you want

Here's a good guide for choosing the correct ND filter:

Filter-Use-Chart.png

What about the polarized part is it worth the extra money for the polarized filters

Polarising is a fancy word to reduce the light reflecting from all areas you are looking at from clouds, water and objects allowing for enriched colour and clarity to be seen.
Its no different than a good pair of polarised sunglasses that you might wear. Think of your camera lens working in much the same way as your own eyes work

Msinger post a helpful chart 3 posts down. However if you are unfamiliar with "stops" I will explain as it applies to the Phantom 4 with a fixed aperture lens. Assuming NTSC (North America) Video, It is more or less ideal to use a shutter speed that is the reciprocal of twice the Frame rate so that you get the expected smooth motion blur. This means if you are using a frame rate of 30fps you would ideally use a shutter speed of 1/60 of a second. DJIGO just calls calls it 60. So for example if the exposure with out a ND filter is 1/240 you would uses a ND4 to reduce the light by 2 stops (240 to 120 is one stop 120 to 60 in the second stop) if the reading is around 1/480 you would use a ND 8 for 3 stops. If the no filter exposure is around 10000 (typical for a bright midday ND 16 would be appropriate. I hope this helps.

PL filter will minimize water glare, blue the sky and deepen colors. I definitely think if you're getting filters anyway, it's worth getting a PL. UV filters were a big deal with film, but they're obsolete in digital photography because the sensors aren't affected. UV filters are good if you want to protect the lens with a neutral cover

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan