Polar Filters

The Cinema Shutter filters are ND filters. The Cinema Vivid filters are PL filters. The PL filters are used to cut down glare on reflective surfaces. They only work well if rotated properly and the camera is at just the right angle with the sun. Both of those filter sets have multi-coated glass -- unlike their standard ND filter set.

Last edited:
I just had an issue where my tilt motor would release then reengage. (See "gimble dropping") When I took the filters off, the problem went away.
Like the others, I would like to hear more. Specifically, which filters did you try and which phantom did you try them on?

Because this is the first time I've heard of this problem.

Until this is answered, I personally would not use this information to base a purchase on.

TERRY: why do you want the filters, and what kind of photography (stills, videos, subject matter, etc.)?

Chris

Like the others, I would like to hear more. Specifically, which filters did you try and which phantom did you try them on?

Until this is answered, I personally would not use this information to base a purchase on.

TERRY: why do you want the filters, and what kind of photography (stills, videos, subject matter, etc.)?

Chris

Chris,
The Polar Pro website explains it be than I could. I am getting filters for my P3P and my Son's P4 to shoot video.
Terry

I picked up a set of these "slide-on" ND filters for my P3P a few days ago. But after looking at Polar Pro's website, I'm not so sure these are really compatible with the P3P. I mean, i know they say P3/P4 on the box, but the website makes me think these are only for the P3S. These were the $49.99 set.

Thoughts?

Link: DJI Phantom 3 Standard Filter 3-Pack
Looks like the same package as mine, except mine says Phantom 3 and 4 on the top.

Slide-on

1489955886843.jpg

Last edited:
I picked up a set of these "slide-on" ND filters for my P3P a few days ago. But after looking at Polar Pro's website, I'm not so sure these are really compatible with the P3P. I mean, i know they say P3/P4 on the box, but the website makes me think these are only for the P3S. These were the $49.99 set.

Thoughts?

Link: DJI Phantom 3 Standard Filter 3-Pack
Looks like the same package as mine, except mine says Phantom 3 and 4 on the top.

Slide-on

View attachment 78767

Gosh, I would assume the same thing. I really wished I could help you. I'm sure someone here will know.
Terry

Chris

Hi Chris,

The filters I was using when my gimbal failed are DigitalMate filter kit for DJI Phantom 3 series. It has a slide over threaded adapter and the filters I had on were the uv filter and the nd8 filter.

Blessed77,

I bought the same set of Polar Pro filters from Best Buy on President's Day for $15. They are the slip on type, have to put the filter on before takeoff and remove after landing but before power down. They work, but the extra weight will cause the camera to point straight down when power is removed.

What's the difference between the shutter speed filter and the Cinema filters?
Thank you.

I've tried both Cinema and regular series with the black rings. Trust me, spend the extra on the Cinema line. The cheaper black ring versions have a magenta colour shift that you'll have to try and remove in post. There is very little colour shifting with the Cinema series.

I've been using the Cinema series for close to a year and never had any gimbal error messages. I suspect they used slip-on ones over their factory UV filters which placed too much weight on it and caused the error.

Thank you. I will definitely look at those.
Terry
I have the taco filters too and am very pleased with them. Same weight and size as the stock uv filter, good quality and come in a padded case. I got the 4 pack.

Hi Chris,

The filters I was using when my gimbal failed are DigitalMate filter kit for DJI Phantom 3 series. It has a slide over threaded adapter and the filters I had on were the uv filter and the nd8 filter.
An adapter and an extra filter. That's a lot of extra weight on the front of the gimbal, out on the end of the moment arm! That's why I use the screw on type, no added weight.

I've tried both Cinema and regular series with the black rings. Trust me, spend the extra on the Cinema line. The cheaper black ring versions have a magenta colour shift that you'll have to try and remove in post. There is very little colour shifting with the Cinema series.

I've been using the Cinema series for close to a year and never had any gimbal error messages. I suspect they used slip-on ones over their factory UV filters which placed too much weight on it and caused the error.

Are you using the ND or Shutter filters?
Thank you,
Terry

Thank you very much for the link. Can't decide between the ND or Shutter series.
Terry

Are you using the ND or Shutter filters?
Thank you,
Terry

I'm currently using the Cinema Vivid series and they work great. Most of my shooting is around water (tropics) so I opted for the polarizers over regular ND filters. I've seen several videos that were shot with either just ND or stock UV filter and there's a lot of reflections off the water. With the PL ones, I can cut most of those reflections and the blues and underwater shadows really pop out and look 100% better. I usually try and frame it so that only about 1/4 to 1/3 of the composition is sky. Some days it's unavoidable and I need the shot with more sky but then I suffer a bit with uneven darkening of the sky but I can live with it. I just dress it up in post as best I could.

I will pick up the Cinema Shutter series when I get back to the mainland. So far, I've not missed the ND series in close to a year now but I do wish the Vivid series came with an ND32PL filter.

I did buy the black ring PolarPro ND32PL and to me, it was just wasted money. The colour cast was horrible. I'll try and do a side x side test pic when I get some down time.

If 90% of your shooting is over land, I'd say just get the Shutter series. If you do a bit of flying over water ie lakes or coastal, get the Vivid series. Or buy 'em both if you can afford to. :)

I'm currently using the Cinema Vivid series and they work great. Most of my shooting is around water (tropics) so I opted for the polarizers over regular ND filters. I've seen several videos that were shot with either just ND or stock UV filter and there's a lot of reflections off the water. With the PL ones, I can cut most of those reflections and the blues and underwater shadows really pop out and look 100% better. I usually try and frame it so that only about 1/4 to 1/3 of the composition is sky. Some days it's unavoidable and I need the shot with more sky but then I suffer a bit with uneven darkening of the sky but I can live with it. I just dress it up in post as best I could.

I will pick up the Cinema Shutter series when I get back to the mainland. So far, I've not missed the ND series in close to a year now but I do wish the Vivid series came with an ND32PL filter.

I did buy the black ring PolarPro ND32PL and to me, it was just wasted money. The colour cast was horrible. I'll try and do a side x side test pic when I get some down time.

If 90% of your shooting is over land, I'd say just get the Shutter series. If you do a bit of flying over water ie lakes or coastal, get the Vivid series. Or buy 'em both if you can afford to. :)

Perfect. That's exactly what I needed in order to make my decision. Than you very much.
Terry

No probs. Good luck.

The set I'm looking at has 16, 32, and 64. What in the world would you use the 32 and 64 for? I read where people use the 16 most of the time. Would the set of six give me more options? Thank you very much.
Terry

32 could be useful on bright days and the 64 could be useful if you ever fly over snow covered ground.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT