Point Of Interest (POI)

Reaction score
This would be a nice feature to have on the vPlus. You fly above the target you are interested in and mark it. Then activate POI and it will circle while climbing. I'm pretty sure one of our developers here is looking into adding this feature to his app. Watch the Video to give yourself an idea how this POI works.

Point of Interest. When the GPS signal is good, users can record the current position of the aircraft as a point of interest by a preset switch on the remote control. The aircraft can achieve a circling flight around the point of interest with the nose pointing at the POI in an area of 5 meters to 500 meters radius, when the roll command is given. This function is easy to set and simple to operate, it is suitable for all-round shooting of a fixed scenic spot.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRF8lCtmb3Q[/youtube]

flyNfrank said:
I'm pretty sure one of our developers here is looking into adding this feature to his app.

If they do, I will definitely purchase their app.

woobisah said:
Fplvert said:
:lol:
Points of interest are available on many Google earth compatible apps. These tools are amazing. Here's one we use live time at work. http://www.fleetmatics.com/reveal/fleet-tracking-app

MHL

Can you please explain how this app you've posted will do anything related to what the OP posted? :roll:
:D
Mearly an example of one Google based app which uses POI for a user's defined function. Fleetmatics is simmilar to Flytrex Live BTW, but it has control features that send reports (email), limit idle time (shut vehicle down), tracks speeding, ect.

It's just a matter of time when we will get something interactive like this for flying and capturing video like Frank posted.

MHL

I have tried doing the circle of POI manually and it did not work out very well at all. I could not get the motion correctly.

Any tricks ?

flyNfrank said:
This would be a nice feature to have on the vPlus. You fly above the target you are interested in and mark it. Then activate POI and it will circle while climbing. I'm pretty sure one of our developers here is looking into adding this feature to his app. Watch the Video to give yourself an idea how this POI works.

Point of Interest. When the GPS signal is good, users can record the current position of the aircraft as a point of interest by a preset switch on the remote control. The aircraft can achieve a circling flight around the point of interest with the nose pointing at the POI in an area of 5 meters to 500 meters radius, when the roll command is given. This function is easy to set and simple to operate, it is suitable for all-round shooting of a fixed scenic spot.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRF8lCtmb3Q[/youtube]

I believe that FlynFrank is referring to me and the following app: http://www.kenargo.com/AndroidApps/UltimateFlight/.

Follow-me is in the works now but other features like GPS, SNR and POI are all on the list; it's just a matter of time (which I never have enough of)

I have tried doing the circle of POI manually and it did not work out very well at all. I could not get the motion correctly.

Any tricks ?
Practice :)

Like Eddyfisher said. The more you do it, the more you'll get the hang of it. Both sticks outward to circle one way. Both sticks inward to circle the other way. Apply varying pressure as needed.

Here's another turning trick I have found useful when flying without the aid of a tablet. If you want to bring the bird back to you but it's too small in the sky to determine which way it is facing, just hit the right stick forward. If your bird starts moving to the right, push your left stick to the right at the same time and your bird will start turning towards you. Do the opposite if you see it traveling to the left. I know.. I know... Home Lock works too, but I sometimes like to feel like a pilot.

Reactions: Eddyfisher
Mic your interested in the POI and how it works check out the POI in the video at www.flylitchi.com. Pretty cool.

litchi and a few other apps have POI... But it crap. Its not a steady motion, you see a lot of corrections during the movement, and I can't use that kind of footage. The best way is to train it by hand.
The best way I can do it is, keeping the right hand stick fixed slightly turning, and compensating only with the left hand yawn.
It takes a lot of practice, but after some time, it works perfectly.

Sorry, I wouldn't say they are crap. I would say that may be they do not meet your needs. Other may find them useful for what they are doing but I wouldn't make a blunt statement. Some of the videos I've seen using them are pretty decent but you may need perfect. Thats ok too.

Sorry, I wouldn't say they are crap. I would say that may be they do not meet your needs. Other may find them useful for what they are doing but I wouldn't make a blunt statement. Some of the videos I've seen using them are pretty decent but you may need perfect. Thats ok too.
"Crap" in the fact that I can't use the videos.
I do this commercially and the hole point on getting a gimbal stable aerial camera is to get steady movement clips. And POI on those apps do not produce steady movies.
If your needs from a PHantom are "lets play around", they by all means be happy with these apps.

I guess your needs are more. If you are doing this commercially then you are selling the video's and photos professionally. I guess that does make a difference in what you need.

Reactions: macsoft
The POI apps aren't meant to produce professional quality results any more than the Phantom is meant to be a professional level quadcopter platform. If one needs professional quality POI, its best to practice how to fly at a professional level and learn how to do POI smoothly by hand.

Reactions: macsoft
The POI apps aren't meant to produce professional quality results any more than the Phantom is meant to be a professional level quadcopter platform. If one needs professional quality POI, its best to practice how to fly at a professional level and learn how to do POI smoothly by hand.
Exactly what I said: practice doing them by hand and its not that hard to get a better result than the app

Macsoft are you in the U.S. Western, Central or Eastern?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl