Plugging the gimbal protector/base plate for protection

Reaction score
I was flying in a moderate breeze, probably 15mph with some gusts a bit higher. I was going to film in some trees so I thought I would use my prop protectors (for the second time ever). As you might have guessed, when I got out in the open the wind was pretty stiff and my quad was fighting to hold its position. I descended slowly to pull it out of the wind but a few seconds into the descent it entered the dreaded VRS (vortex ring state) and started to spiral wildly down. Tried to pull out of the fall but to no avail and it slammed into some scrub bushes. 3 of the 4 blades were badly broken up with entire sections missing. Despite the hard hit, which broke my protective gimbal plate under the camera in 4 places, the camera and the rest of the quad was totally fine. I have no doubt, the camera would have been knocked all out of whack without the polycarbonate plate.

I do think I'll be making a new protective plate out of plexiglass - polycarbonate does not seem to be very strong by comparison.

Got lucky this time. No more prop protectors either.

Might this protective gimbal plate you speak of contributed to the aerodynamics causing airflow disruption in decent? Compounded by the propguards. Also you have to question the flying decision if the winds were really that strong.

Any photos of this protective plate?

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

The base plate is the one sold on etsy.com (https://img0.etsystatic.com/029/0/71890 ... 8_k1kg.jpg)
I haven't seen any issues with its use since it is pretty well opened up to allow for airflow through it and usually I descend at a slow rate. I flew again today with lighter winds (but still some gusts of 15 or 20 mph) over a canyon and with the same base plate with no issues (dumped the prop guards...).

Its a bit tricky flying in mountains. You can be on the leeward side of a ridge and it pretty still air but if you rise up over a terrain feature, you can be surprised by the wind's force. It's a good reminder though of the limits of these quads.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl