Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Please help

Discussion in 'Standard/4k Discussion' started by Gunner200, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Gunner200

I just received my first drone. Phantom 3 standard I have calibrated the IMU. The controller. Downloaded new firmware. Connect with the. Copter via iPhone 6s I see video through the camera and can move the camera.
    Red at top of app says compass needs calibrating. Intake the unit out in my field and try to calibrate and it persistently says magnetic interference try new location. I moved to multiple locations even driving across town with same result
    I connect my phone to the phantom wifi while trying to calibrate with the DJI dance.
    Planning to try customer service in morning. Feeling like compass must have been damaged during shipping.

2. theSchwartz75

I've never had that problem. Are you close to any large metal objects when you are trying to calibrate? Like maybe your vehicle? I don't know...

3. Gunner200

No nothing. Thinking compass must have been damaged in shipping or something??

4. QuadcopterFL

The compass is on the leg...make sure your phone and remote are a little bit away from the phantom when you try to calibrate, empty pockets of any metal objects.

5. Gunner200

I tried calibrating no less than 30 times moving 8 feet away from remote many times. I have to have phone connected to phantom wi-fi and select compass calibration from DJI go app. Correct?
    In the app under system It says magnetic abnormality restart aircraft and if it persists contact DJI support

Anyone know how to contact DJI support?

6. Kneepuck

Do you have any steel plates in your body? Just a thought. I have 2 plates and 8 screws in my left arm.I only use my right arm for compass calibration.. But it does sound like you have a defective unit.

7. dirkclod

dirkclod Moderator
    Staff Member

A watch will mess ya up sometimes .Like the rest said any metal . Even from underground .Move to a different location and try .

8. Gunner200

A few screws in my knee but I hold the copter he's height-6 feet- off ground. No watch. Been to 5/6 different locations even got in my car and drove to local park bummed out. Was really looking forward to flying this weekend

9. dirkclod

dirkclod Moderator
    Staff Member

Well if you have done all that then you very well might be right in your OP . That's a bummer

10. Gunner200

I purchased from Amazon. Wonder if I just return it and buy new one on Black Friday?

11. dirkclod

dirkclod Moderator
    Staff Member

Amazon is good with the returns .

12. Gunner200

Thanks I do where a titanium ring I will try to remove that tomorrow

13. dirkclod

dirkclod Moderator
    Staff Member

I hope that helps Gunner .

14. rontam

Well I have seem some try to calibrate the second part holding the quad wrong... make sure the front is pointing down at the ground.

dirkclod likes this.
  15. dirkclod

dirkclod Moderator
    Staff Member

You are corrct rontam . Camera always points down when doing one. Didn't think to ask him that :rolleyes:

16. Gunner200

I had the battery side facing me on first round then had battery side up on vertices circle. Still it always said strong magn tic disturbance detected Every time
    I tried it in many different locations. I am returning back to Amazon. Ordered pro series from DJI authorized dealer this time