photographing old concrete / steel bldg

mjw

Reaction score
I would appreciate any suggestions about photographing an old, very large concrete / steel warehouse roof in downtown Fort Worth, TX. the reason I ask is others have tried doing so but from the ground and each attempt has failed. Once over the roof and out of line of site the drones crashed, not sure what brand of drones (the building is over a city block long and 8 stories high) - it is assumed the loss of control once drone was up over roof was due to the heavy concentration of steel in the building - our plan is to shoot from the roof and walk along with the drone (P4) as we photograph the roof - even with this approach I am very concerned about compass interference and calibration issues - s you can see its a monster - when on he roof, the parapet walls are 6' high - so i will be surrounded be steel and concrete - insulating the p4 from all that steel before take of is another issue
T&P warehouse 110.JPG

Once over the roof and out of line of site the drones crashed
Why would you want to fly outside of line of sight? You'd want to keep LOS to ensure the remote controller is not disconnected.

t is assumed the loss of control once drone was up over roof was due to the heavy concentration of steel in the building
You'd have to be flying within several feet of the building for the steel within to negatively affect the compass.

even with this approach I am very concerned about compass interference and calibration issues
No need to calibrate on site. The compass rarely needs to be calibrated.

our plan is to shoot from the roof and walk along with the drone (P4) as we photograph the roof
Or maybe take off from the ground while you're standing on the roof.

Ive flown in that area of Downtown and many areas around Fort Worth with zero issue. Like commented above, youd have to be very close to the train station roof to be affected, and im not sure what goal youd accomplish that near to the structure.

PS, im willing to bet if I go searching, that I have photos tht at least contain that rooftop, if not a direct shot of the building, lol.

Why would you want to fly outside of line of sight? You'd want to keep LOS to ensure the remote controller is not disconnected.

You'd have to be flying within several feet of the building for the steel within to negatively affect the compass.

No need to calibrate on site. The compass rarely needs to be calibrated.

Or maybe take off from the ground while you're standing on the roof.
I do not plan on flying out of LOS - other attempts did so and crashed - appreciate your responses - just don't want to replicate what other attempts experience - my plan in to walk the perimeter of roof as I follow the drone overhead
MJW

I do not plan on flying out of LOS - other attempts did so and crashed
Assuming the RTH altitude is set to a good height, that should make the drone return home (using the default settings in DJI GO). It's odd that everyone else crashed as soon as they were out of LOS.

Ive flown in that area of Downtown and many areas around Fort Worth with zero issue. Like commented above, youd have to be very close to the train station roof to be affected, and im not sure what goal youd accomplish that near to the structure.

PS, im willing to bet if I go searching, that I have photos tht at least contain that rooftop, if not a direct shot of the building, lol.
I don't plan on flying near the structure, we will be photographing the roof at around 20-30' above roof - the architect on the project needs a video of the roof only - glad you have photographed successfully downtown fTW - just seating some valuable (as yours was) input - I am normally just photographing residential roofs - my conversation w/ the architect shared with me the other attempts of using a drone that ended up in a crash and/or loss of control.
MJW

Assuming the RTH altitude is set to a good height, that should make the drone return home (using the default settings in DJI GO). It's odd that everyone else crashed as soon as they were out of LOS.
I thought so to - didn't think about RTH - I guess because over the past 4 years I haven't experienced a communications or other issue that resulted in an RTH occurrence - most of my photography is for residential roofs in my inspection business and I always maintain a LOS
MJW

I inspect building with drones for a living. Most buildings are metal warehhouses and I get as close as 10’ from them. Have yet to lose my drone. If you take off from the spot you took that picture. You shouldn’t have any troubles with interference from the building. You have a clear LOS and you can fly as low as 25’ from the roof. Just set RTH to 50m in case of signal loss.

Reactions: Alba Drone
Use Litchi and program a mission - the mission will continue even if you lose signal.
I lost my first P4P in a mission without VLOS. It never returned, while it was suppose to RTH upon losing signal. After that experience, if I can’t see it, no automatic flights.

Must have switched to ATTI mode, then. Good planning not flying when you can’t see the drone, but if you can’t see it, lose signal and the drone is in ATTI, chances are good the drone is gone unless the wind is in your favor.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robvalduga