Phantom vision RC antenna replacement - Broken coax cable

Reaction score
During opening the my Phantom Remote Control for the last software upgrade, and even with all appropriate care, the antenna wire broke from the mini conector . Where I can find the replacement antenna (with cable) to my RC ?
This cable is really fragile, and as the USB port is not outside of RC we have to deal with this kind of problem. This coax cable is very tiny and the conector as well, it is not easy to weld. :?

Re: Phantom vision RC antenna replacement - Broken coax cabl

Same here... broke it today, and tomorrow I'm leaving for a trip. Ah well, I'll deal with 150m range for the time being.
I've sent a message to DJI, I hope they're in good mood and will reply to my request for antenna replacement.

In the meanwhile I think I will also order a U.FL to RP-SMA pigtail cable and maybe an RP-SMA spironet antenna to connect to it.

LeoS said:
Same here... broke it today, and tomorrow I'm leaving for a trip. Ah well, I'll deal with 150m range for the time being.
I've sent a message to DJI, I hope they're in good mood and will reply to my request for antenna replacement.

In the meanwhile I think I will also order a U.FL to RP-SMA pigtail cable and maybe an RP-SMA spironet antenna to connect to it.

Leos - I'm leaving for a trip today. This is a IPX 1.3 coax connector cable. I sent a message to DJI and my dealer too. I hope these guys answer soon. Let me know if you have any news. Tks

Attachments

• conexão frágil.JPG
    conexão frágil.JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 2,052
  • ipx 13 g.JPG
    ipx 13 g.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 2,035
  • ipx 13 A small.JPG
    ipx 13 A small.JPG
    11.3 KB · Views: 2,671

LeoS said:

Check this : http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pcs-RF- ... 38883.html

Thanks for sharing all those info, ottoni. I think ipx 1.3 is the same as u.FL? I've ordered u.FL to RP-SMA cable from Amazon.
I havent removed the antenna yet, i'll do it when i'm back i come back next week.

Have a good trip and happy holidays!

Just to let you know there is no need to open up the transmitter for any future firmware upgrades unless specifically stated by DJI. The very latest firmware didn't require any messing with the Tx. If you are already running 1.0.2.22 on your Tx then keep it shut tight unless otherwise instructed - check the release notes for details.

This was the poorest design FU I've ever seen, requiring the case be opened for a firmware update and putting a fragile wire in the way. They should automatically replace every one of those radios with the connector on the inside.

Pull_Up said:
Just to let you know there is no need to open up the transmitter for any future firmware upgrades unless specifically stated by DJI. The very latest firmware didn't require any messing with the Tx. If you are already running 1.0.2.22 on your Tx then keep it shut tight unless otherwise instructed - check the release notes for details.
You´re absolutely right. But my RC was not running the latest software, and this was the reason I had to open it.
Although being an experienced in electronics, I realized how fragile is the conection between the coax and the IPX conector. The mini plug was glued on the board to prevent any possible disconnection, but the cable should have been tied in a mid position, and this would avoid this kind of problem. No matter how small you pull it , and this is quite enough to break apart the cable from the connector. Other cables can be easily welded in case of interruption, but this coax is very thin and the IPX connector very tiny (IPEX MHF plug 20278-112R-13- or Hirose U.FL). Fortunately my dealer will provide a new one, and I hope the version with the USB port outside. :)

Attachments

• conexão frágil.JPG
    conexão frágil.JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 2,042
  • conector ipx13.JPG
    conector ipx13.JPG
    10.9 KB · Views: 1,792

LeoS said:
Thanks for sharing all those info, ottoni. I think ipx 1.3 is the same as u.FL? I've ordered u.FL to RP-SMA cable from Amazon.
I havent removed the antenna yet, i'll do it when i'm back i come back next week.

Have a good trip and happy holidays!
Hi Leos ! Now I'm back home.
I wrote to my dealer, they answered they will provide another one instead of a new antenna. My problem is I live in Brasil and I will have to send the TX and wait a lot of weeks to have it back here. I dont know when will be my next flight to USA.
I think they do not have these spare parts available, so it is better for them to replace the entire transmitter.
Yes, the IPX is the same as FL. I'm thinking about to replace this antenna for another one with a better gain. May be I can extend the transmitter range. :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :roll:
Check it :http://www.amazon.com/5-8Ghz-5Dbi-RP-SMA-Antenna-Cards/dp/B007Y6XZQE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1387912483&sr=1-1&keywords=5.8+ghz+antenna

Merry Christmas

Attachments

• compatibility.JPG
    compatibility.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 1,672

hi there all,
Question :
Concerning the antenna cable - one end is u.FL/IPX 1.3 and the other end is RP-SMA
The cable that must be purchased is the u.FL/ipx 1.3 to SMA cable - and the offending end (u.FL/ipx 1.3) should go into the TX post on the PCB of the dji Controller.
Question is : The antenna on the dji controller does not look like it has RP-SMA connector.
So do you also need to purchase a RP-SMA antenna to replace the dji controller antenna the as well ?
and how do you mount this RP-SMA antenna as the dji Controller antenna looks like it is an integrated unit.

Just to document my experience ... for those contemplating remediating - a dislodged antenna co-axial cable.

Concur with everyone's remarks, above, on the poor design plus very poor final Quality Control on controller product.
This is a real big FAIL ¡¡¡
Gently as I could, opened up the controller clam shell casing to get to the USB port ... antenna cable actually slipped out of the connector. My dealer warned me, hasten to add that the fine wires, inside, were an alarm to go slow.
The co-ax cable was :-
1. sleeved in, what looks like a shrink wrap tube, that was not shrunk,
2. it was *not* soldered onto the co-ax connector,
3. the cable-holding crimp on the connector was not crimped,
4. was not tied down
(there is an actual thin slot in the casing that can be used for tying down that cable on its way from the antenna to the S/S enclosed TX unit.).

Big blob of silicon on the connector, you have to perform mini-surgery, with a surgical scalpel, to get to the connector.
I am assuming that you have to twist the connector out, to break the silicon bond, after removing most of the blob.

IMHO - it seemed like a bit of a rush job to get it onto Santa's sledge
The recently released Phantom 2 Controller has that USB port on the casing (outside).
This will close this inconclusive and painful road that leads to this forum thread.

Trust they will- repurpose that new P2 controller (without the camera gimbal lever) for Phantom Vision 2.1

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl