Phantom Range + Interference

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Just got a Phantom 3 Std, and put a argtec range extender on. Have been on a few flights local, and keep getting strong interference detected.

I decided to test range out on a very large field, and I was only getting about 450 mts, before video started breaking up, and RTH initiated. I brought the drone home, then took it upto 350ft right above my head, again video loss, and RTH.

I believe I should be getting better distance than this? I am constantly getting strong interference message popping up, but im not near power lines, or and masts that I can see.

All was line of site in a large field, drone never left the boundary so no obstacles etc.

Any tips? did I need to do any calibration when I put the argtec kit on? Drone is on 1.9.20, app 3.1.42 (go) Iphone 6s

uploaded to healthy drone site, and it gave signal as green all flight and signal 100%? So maybe its just wifi?

Got log if anyone needs to look.

Thanks Guys!!

Cheers
Jamie

Just got a Phantom 3 Std, and put a argtec range extender on.
Mistake number one......without testing the AC for range first before installing (Not stated ). That will throw variables in to the equation.

@parapilot,
Welcome to the forum!

Yes that was going to be my first question, what were you getting before you added the kit?

Rod

Thanks,

Yes your right it was silly of my not to fly in the std configuration first. But the drone came with the kit so figured i may as well fit it as all the reviews said it was worth it. I could always go back, if no other options, I read a lot of people have this interference issue?

Iv only flown it in the same kind of area within a few miles of sites so I suppose their could be strong signal issues, would effect range that much?

I think it’s just WiFi signal as the healthy drone side have 100% on signal all flight.

Cheers for advice
Jamie

Reactions: RodPad
Thanks,

Yes your right it was silly of my not to fly in the std configuration first. But the drone came with the kit so figured i may as well fit it as all the reviews said it was worth it. I could always go back, if no other options, I read a lot of people have this interference issue?

Iv only flown it in the same kind of area within a few miles of sites so I suppose their could be strong signal issues, would effect range that much?

I think it’s just WiFi signal as the healthy drone side have 100% on signal all flight.

Cheers for advice
Jamie
Location location, as the saying goes. When I flu the harbor, my range can fluctuate up to a mile within a few hundred yards of a start position. I, too, would agree with the post that suggests stripping it to oem, establish baseline performance, and then do trick s and mods. Remember, too, that herring gulls think drones are fun to attack!

Thanks guys. I’ll take a long drive first see if it’s the same elsewhere, if it is I’ll go back to the stock aerial, maybe Iv got a faulty one!

While searching came across the magic mod to increase the WiFi? Worth doing? Will it effect anything else on the drone? Bit nervous loading 3rd party software to drone!

In clean air and the P3S is working correctly it will do what is on the box. Around my house when I get an alert that signal is lost. I look at the screen, then I look back at the Phantom, I no longer can see it.

When I can here the buzzard, at takes about another 10 seconds to spot it again, that's usually around 800-1000' away. I guess its harder to see on return because of it tilting toward you instead of away, less visual surface area.

Rod

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT