Phantom P3 not fit for purpose.

I followed your advice and turned down the breaking at 75% and also the attitude and yaw at 88%. Just to prevent any cracks. Did i set eveverithing correctly?

Nikolas I took Atki's advice lol.

I left my attitude to default just changed the braking to 75%.

Reactions: Mr.Spock
I doubt very very much that the braking causes the crack. Plastic too thin and screws too tight are the probably culprits along with vibration from the props.
Turning down the braking does make it more natural in the air however.

"Cause it"...?

The canted motor mount design adds a great deal of tortion to the arm which the P1 & 2s did not have. This is focused at the motor mount area.

Now add braking which can briefly reverse the tortion vector and you have obvious repetitve twisting. Seems cut-and-dry to me, but to each his own.

Sorry didn't mean for you to think my annoyance was pointed at you Mal, certainly wasn't Intended. These things aren't cheap and as I say three people not including myself that I know have fractures. You mentioned the shell is covered - is that a change in stance as it wasn't originally? Appreciate your input...

It's immaterial what percentage is involved in shell fractures or how they were caused - the fact of the matter is that they are failing and they are not meant to. That's not what you paid perfectly good money for. It appears that every so often DJI fails (the abject failure of the firmware upgrade on my (and many others) Z15 5D III gimbal is another case in point) and these failures are not acceptable.

You're seeking a solution and certainly repairing it yourself is not one of them as it appears to be a structural issue where "repair" lies in the domain of "replace" rather than in performing questionable and warranty-voiding McGyver fixes that I saw mooted here a week ago. Sadly, it looks to be as if it's a return to the factory by whatever route you can. That's really the only way DJI can understand the problem, deal with the specific instance, and work out the magnitude of the fixes required.

I suspect that most Phantom owners (like myself) are coming to them from an R/C hobby experience, and so we're used to having to fix, maintain, improve all the time. When my new PV2+ started showing cracks I just couldn't face the delay and hassle of returning it to a non-committed UK dealer who would then snail it back to DJI who would then BS me to death - I'd probably still not have it back now :) and I've had loads of fun with it this summer.

I fixed it myself, and I suspect quite a lot of PV owners would rather do this (and add longer range kit, and carbon effect stickers, and better motors/ESC, etc) because we love to tinker!

Shame, because DJI is 95% of the way towards being something quite special - if it would spend a bit more time/money on QC and customer support.

Adam

[QUOTE=".. Sadly, it looks to be as if it's a return to the factory by whatever route you can. That's really the only way DJI can understand the problem, deal with the specific instance, and work out the magnitude of the fixes required.[/QUOTE]

Hi have to agree with Mal. After hearing stories about shells cracking because of over tightened screws I loosened and retightened all mine. I must have forgetting one because would you believe it it cracked. I knew I forgot because it was really tight compared to the rest. However I won't be using the dreaded rma 10 week wait. I did a repair myself with liquid plastic. Result = excellent.

Atki,

So today I took the P3 out for a proper test flight.

Checked my brake settings and it is down to 75% from 100%.

Does glide slightly however its something that can getting use too, went through 3 batteries and seemed all good.

At 100% (default) it was very very harsh when braking, almost like skidding in air lol.

75% seems more of a smooth stop/braking.

First proper flight since having my P3A exchanged to the P3P.

Will keep an eye on the arms and see how it goes, my P3A developed cracks at 72nd flight so hopefully the P3P does not get any cracks.

It is a bummer that you have the option of having 100% braking but you have to tone it down just in case it is the cause of cracks.

Thanks brother will keep you posted on my outcome/results.

Hey mate, thanks for the feedback, it's good you have the p3p already dialed back so we can see the effects of more conservative active braking from the start of its young life.

When you see the difference in torque that setting makes it does seem like a very likely factor.

"Cause it"...?

The canted motor mount design adds a great deal of tortion to the arm which the P1 & 2s did not have. This is focused at the motor mount area.

Now add braking which can briefly reverse the tortion vector and you have obvious repetitve twisting. Seems cut-and-dry to me, but to each his own.

Me too.

From a statistical stand point we could say if DJI has sold 50,000 P3Xs and 125 people polled they had cracks then we have about 0.0025% crack rate.
Maybe a 1 in 400 chance of having a crack in your P3X
LMFAO
It is from 3 years of Physics and 3 years of math in university. LOL
Numbers are your friend.
Except that 1 in 400 = 0.0025 or 0.25%

Arithmetic aside .. cracks are only affecting a small number of Phantoms.

I doubt very very much that the braking causes the crack. Plastic too thin and screws too tight are the probably culprits along with vibration from the props.
Turning down the braking does make it more natural in the air however.

The screws too tight theorem doesn't wash with me, I temporarily played with detachable prop guards when I got the p3 and took careful note of the tightness of the screws (all six) before and after adding the bracket. The screws weren't tight from the factory and I replaced them at the same tension after deciding I didn't have a use for prop guards. The cracking happened regardless.

Hey mate, thanks for the feedback, it's good you have the p3p already dialed back so we can see the effects of more conservative active braking from the start of its young life.

When you see the difference in torque that setting makes it does seem like a very likely factor.

I agree, now its a lot smoother braking while before it was like having emergency brakes constantly kicking in lol

I agree, now its a lot smoother braking while before it was like having emergency brakes constantly kicking in lol

I dialed the attitude back to, not sure if you did, but I don't require it to respond so abruptly.

I have no idea what the op is saying. He seems to live in London but speak some weird language.

Given the amount of responses generated, I'd say the majority of people understand what I'm trying to get across. If you'd like to tell which part you don't I'd be happy to translate.

Personally, I think you need your IMU re-calibrated.

I left attitude the way it was.

What does that do?

From my understanding it controls how quickly the p3 responds to commands. Obviously if your light/gradual on the sticks it should have same affect but I just wanted to rule out sudden changes in the p3's movements (yaw etc) as it's not something I need anyway.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart