Phantom P3 not fit for purpose.

Simply looking at it from a scientific view point. Think about it, If someone has cracks of course they will click the YES box almost all will, I would be willing to bet at least 75% without cracks will ignore the whole post and even if they read it they probably still won't take the time and effort to click the NO button, Hell I didn't click anything because I may find cracks tomorrow.

Just saying the poll is not an accurate representation of reality.

So how many other polls are out there and how do they correlate with the poll you refer to? Statistically more accurate, sort of.

Lol great work on disproving the poll!

Quoting this so OP can see it and realise how wrong his 5% cracking guess actually is.

From a statistical stand point we could say if DJI has sold 50,000 P3Xs and 125 people polled they had cracks then we have about 0.0025% crack rate.

lol

Maybe a 1 in 400 chance of having a crack in your P3X

From a statistical stand point we could say if DJI has sold 50,000 P3Xs and 125 people polled they had cracks then we have about 0.0025% crack rate.

lol

Maybe a 1 in 400 chance of having a crack in your P3X

Lol your logic is the type that rips ITSELF to shreds all by itself, jolly good show chap!

I have three p3a's and one has developed a stress crack after only 22 flights. Dji swapped it out with a new unit that is suppose to be delivered today. 33.3% for me and the other two only have 27 and 28 flights and I'm keeping a close eye on them. When I called dji to obtain an rma the service rep knew exactly what I was talking about so it appears this is a common problem. Only dji has an idea of the true failure rate and even then some people will elect to fix it themselves rather than send it in under warranty.

Reactions: Mr.Spock
Lol your logic is the type that rips ITSELF to shreds all by itself, jolly good show chap!

LMFAO

It is from 3 years of Physics and 3 years of math in university. LOL

Numbers are your friend, trust me you can use them to prove just about anything you choose. Hell if if the numbers don't get you where you want to be you can always approximate whatever it is with the equation for a sphere.

So honestly if we want to truly know if the cracks are a problem DJI has the information we can only assume. And I bet they will keep those numbers close to the vest. And then there are the characters fixing the shells themselves who DJI will never see as a problem. DJI will probably never view the cracks as a real problem requiring a recall or any such mass reaction, after all they are a Chinese company and as such protected by the same.

Just received my new p3a and it has the new motors. The plastic shell feels different from my early version p3a purchased in May. The new model she'll feels more like the p1 and p2v+ shells. My early version p3a shells have a different feel to the plastic. Like a powdery not as smooth/hard feel. Hard to describe but noticeable.

I didn't pay shipping. Dji swapped my defective cracked one for a new unit. Approximately one month wait.

Just received my new p3a and it has the new motors. The plastic shell feels different from my early version p3a purchased in May. The new model she'll feels more like the p1 and p2v+ shells. My early version p3a shells have a different feel to the plastic. Like a powdery not as smooth/hard feel. Hard to describe but noticeable.

I ordered my P3P directly from DJI and its arriving on Tuesday, think I'll get the new model?

I ordered my P3P directly from DJI and its arriving on Tuesday, think I'll get the new model?

If it exists you sure would...they turn over stock very quickly.

I guess Musk's rockets and virgin galatica aren't fit for purpose either.....
:)
It is amazing - if you came out with a star trek transporter to teleport folks to the other side of the world in 2 seconds they would probably complain that the journey had some shakes in it.

The problem with new technology is that the only fair way to judge it is to ask "based on comparison to what?".

So, if the P3 is not fit for purpose, what toy or hobby flying machine is? I have bought and flown dozens of them and every single one has broken, crashed, flown away, etc. - well, every one except the Phantoms.

I suppose they fixed whatever the problem was....but, don't worry, the next generation or firmware or something else will introduce some more new problems that make them not fit for purpose in the eyes of some.

Of all the things that could be wrong with a complex flying camera...I think I'd choose some possible hairline cracks in the plastic shell as a preferred defect.

Heck, I'd buy the thing if they had no shell and I had to install a cut out bottom of a milk jug around it as I did with my other quads.

Maybe we are finally close to an almost perfect machine - but I can assure folks that it certainly never existed before. We can hope....

Same with the PV2+ (mine had cracks after just 10 flights) and the first response from the dealer was 'Shell not covered'

DJI = POS company who will never get another £ from me

A considerable amount. I have met three other P3 pilots in the UK and all have stress fractures. All under a year old.
The fact DJI fail to cover the shell via warranty is in my opinion proof they know it's not up to the job.
Not good enough!!

So after reading all the information on stress cracks on the Phantom I was assured by the fact I haven't put the bird under continuous heavy load, never used rotor guards and flying in the UK never been anywhere near extreme temperatures that there would be no chance of stress cracks.

I was wrong.

I have owned my Phantom two months and flown 75 times - 11 hours 18 minutes.

This is not acceptable!!!

I read all the comments on strengthening and modifying the chassis but we shouldn't have to do this. The vehicle should be fit for purpose and if not DJI should be issuing a recall and issuing a replacement/strengthened chassis that is not going to catastrophically fail regularly.

I think all the talk on modifications is missing the point. We need to make DJI take note by petitions, posting all over their Facebook and their forum.

If we keep putting up with this standard of build quality we will keep getting it.

I know it's a lot of tech for the money but it should have retailed $50 more and been designed to last. It's also dangerous the amount of failures that are clearly happening.

I must add I love my P3a which is why I'm passionate it stays in one piece!

Thoughts please......
I have stared a thread in their official forum

It is very very easy to blame dji for this. They have a tough job trying to keep weight down and strength up for the right price. I am sure they didn't realise until there were loads of shells out there that this problem was happening.
At least dji are admitting the problem and trying to do something.
Contrast that with Audi. Between 2009 and 2012 the 2l tfsi turbo petrol engine had faulty piston rings. That is a lot of cars. The A4 - A5 - TT - A3 - Q5 and lots of VWs.
Many owners were left badly out of pocket. Audi refusing to admit the problem. Trying to say using 1L of oil every 600 miles was normal.
I bought a used A5 from a main dealer last year. 1 owner 23,000 miles. Using oil like it was going out of fashion. By this stage 4 years later on audi did admit the problem but no recall and no compensation for other owners.
I had a full engine rebuild cost audi £6000 - imagine I had bought it from a back street garage or privately!
Vorsprung Durch Technik!!!
Lesson learned don't buy a crap car made buy VW! Especially now!

I developed stress cracks in my P2 from over tightening my nuts while using prop guards. Noticed them when I gave up on the prop guards. Changed out the shell. Surprisingly had a lot of fun changing out the shell. Just took plenty of reference pictures. Highly recommend.

So after reading all the information on stress cracks on the Phantom I was assured by the fact I haven't put the bird under continuous heavy load, never used rotor guards and flying in the UK never been anywhere near extreme temperatures that there would be no chance of stress cracks.

I was wrong.

I have owned my Phantom two months and flown 75 times - 11 hours 18 minutes.

This is not acceptable!!!

I read all the comments on strengthening and modifying the chassis but we shouldn't have to do this. The vehicle should be fit for purpose and if not DJI should be issuing a recall and issuing a replacement/strengthened chassis that is not going to catastrophically fail regularly.

I think all the talk on modifications is missing the point. We need to make DJI take note by petitions, posting all over their Facebook and their forum.

If we keep putting up with this standard of build quality we will keep getting it.

I know it's a lot of tech for the money but it should have retailed $50 more and been designed to last. It's also dangerous the amount of failures that are clearly happening.

I must add I love my P3a which is why I'm passionate it stays in one piece!

Thoughts please......
If you bought through a dealer you could be better off than most owing to the consumer laws in the UK. I'm waiting for someone to try if they need too, just to test if it stands up against DJI. I've no need too as yet but would be my first response if cracking came about on my P3A. It should stand up as a 'Not of merchantable quality and not fit for purpose. Laws are there to protect us in the UK so we must use them or whats the good of making these laws in the first place. You want protection so use them that's all I say. Don't run away cause you may have to wait a little and your going to be without your copter. Further down the line you may come across more problems. No, manufactures must be honest and fair to customers who put their money and trust into manufacturers and their products.

70-80 sounds good.

The attitude adjusts the response/speed to which the p3 moves, I dialed it down too as I have no need for it to move so quickly (yaw etc) and felt reducing it could benefit the arm issue also

Atki,

So today I took the P3 out for a proper test flight.

Checked my brake settings and it is down to 75% from 100%.

Does glide slightly however its something that can getting use too, went through 3 batteries and seemed all good.

At 100% (default) it was very very harsh when braking, almost like skidding in air lol.

75% seems more of a smooth stop/braking.

First proper flight since having my P3A exchanged to the P3P.

Will keep an eye on the arms and see how it goes, my P3A developed cracks at 72nd flight so hopefully the P3P does not get any cracks.

It is a bummer that you have the option of having 100% braking but you have to tone it down just in case it is the cause of cracks.

Thanks brother will keep you posted on my outcome/results.

I doubt very very much that the braking causes the crack. Plastic too thin and screws too tight are the probably culprits along with vibration from the props.
Turning down the braking does make it more natural in the air however.

I doubt very very much that the braking causes the crack. Plastic too thin and screws too tight are the probably culprits along with vibration from the props.
Turning down the braking does make it more natural in the air however.

Yes it does make it more smoother and natural, when it is on 100 its like the P3 is fighting in the air lol

Yes it does make it more smoother and natural, when it is on 100 its like the P3 is fighting in the air lol
I followed your advice and turned down the breaking at 75% and also the attitude and yaw at 88%. Just to prevent any cracks. Did i set eveverithing correctly?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers