Phantom P3 not fit for purpose.

I'm not complaining about the technology. The plastic shell is hardly cutting edge? People have been making plastic for 150yrs.

What I'm saying is my first hand experience confirms a higher amount of fractures than 5% and 5% is high!

No hot weather, always caught, distance flying etc.

As for first time tech I would have to disagree with that - DJI have been making phantoms a long time.

I would suggest DJI have reduced the weight to a minimum (as anyone would) at the cost of reliability.

I'd be very interested to see if the latest shells are any different to the first P3's.

Lastly the shell never used to be covered by warranty so I will send mine in if that's the case. I can't take the risk of flying now two cracks have appeared on separate arms within 48hrs.

Have DJI changed there stance on covering the shell?
Mine is at DJI getting a new shell free of charge. They know the problem exists and are doing the right thing but you have to send it in. I complained like you until I was blue in the face, but bottom line is send it in and get one back with an updated shell. U.S. turnaround is running about 3-4 weeks right now. The new shells are different around the screw holes. There are pictures in one of the other crack threads.

I have 3 p3a.. One developed stress crack after 22 flights and was hand caught and never crashed. Dji is sending me a new unit. I'm keeping an eye on the other two as there is some discoloration on the plastic near the screws. I noticed the plastic feels different from the plastic on the p1 and p2. The shell has more of a powdery feel compared to the harder plastic of the p1 and p2. This is a real problem whether it's a design or manufacturing defect.

So after reading all the information on stress cracks on the Phantom I was assured by the fact I haven't put the bird under continuous heavy load, never used rotor guards and flying in the UK never been anywhere near extreme temperatures that there would be no chance of stress cracks.

I was wrong.

I have owned my Phantom two months and flown 75 times - 11 hours 18 minutes.

This is not acceptable!!!

I read all the comments on strengthening and modifying the chassis but we shouldn't have to do this. The vehicle should be fit for purpose and if not DJI should be issuing a recall and issuing a replacement/strengthened chassis that is not going to catastrophically fail regularly.

I think all the talk on modifications is missing the point. We need to make DJI take note by petitions, posting all over their Facebook and their forum.

If we keep putting up with this standard of build quality we will keep getting it.

I know it's a lot of tech for the money but it should have retailed $50 more and been designed to last. It's also dangerous the amount of failures that are clearly happening.

I must add I love my P3a which is why I'm passionate it stays in one piece!

Thoughts please......

Do the 1 thing that will make DJI right the wrong===Return your P3 for Warranty Repair!=====

You are right, it should not happen, but it did, they made a mistake, make them fix it.

If you really feel strongly about it get a lawyer and file a Class Action Lawsuit.

Hi Russ - I've only ever flown for distance and I hand catch every time.
I know what you are saying, then obviously there is a fault, with the P3P that you have, perhaps one reason was, on the launch, they were so popular and in so much demand, that they produced them as quick as they could and maybe sacrificing quality control, to meet the orders that we had put in. Also some people fly them like toys and then complain when something goes wrong. I do not check my P3P that often, but I may do from now on, I only hope I do not have to send mine back to DJI, because it will probably be away for months.

How many units do you think are showing signs of stress fractures?
I have no idea of the actual number, or a percentage, but if you search various forums you'll see that is happening enough that I would call it "common."
Some have posted photos on this forum that make it appear the latest P3 shells seem to have been modified and strengthened by DJI, despite the fact they will not acknowledge this as a problem,

I don't remember if it was this forum or another Phantomcentric forum I belong to, but a composite/plastics engineer had this theory: If there is recycled plastic going back into the shell material, that can cause the plastic to be more brittle than normal, and if some batches had more recycle than others, it would explain why the problem is common, but not consistent.

Last edited:
Flew my P3 today, good day, not windy and weather was 18C.

Only flew 1 battery today compared to 3 or 4.

So far had 76 flights, 8hrs 17mins flight time, 67,812m total distance.

Just came home and was going through usual inspection of my P3 and now I can see a crack on the back right arm (see attached picture).

I'm definately not going to fly it now until this is sorted, all other arms seem fine just this 1 crack.

Who do I contact for this to be repaired?

DJI Germany?

I'm based in the UK, what turn around time scale am I looking at for repair?

I bought my P3 back in end of July from reputable seller 'Maplins' in the UK.

Attachments

• 1442780328961.jpg
    1442780328961.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 357
  • 1442780339242.jpg
    1442780339242.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 375
Does anyone have cracks in the front arms? It seems every report I've read has mentioned that the cracks are only on the rear arms?

Just came home and was going through usual inspection of my P3 and now I can see a crack on the back right arm (see attached picture).

I'm definately not going to fly it now until this is sorted, all other arms seem fine just this 1 crack.

DJI Germany?

Maplins are great - pop in and see them. They may swop it out for you.
Repairs in the UK are done by Heli Guy - they are very good as well.

Maplins are great - pop in and see them. They may swop it out for you.
Repairs in the UK are done by Heli Guy - they are very good as well.

Many thanks for the information.

I will give Maplins a call tomorrow.

Just got the receipt out.

Heli Guy? Are they DJI authorised?
Do they do warranty work for DJI?

Thank you

So have DJI found a fix for this?

Stronger shell or is this stress cracks still on going on the newer P3's?

Does anyone have cracks in the front arms? It seems every report I've read has mentioned that the cracks are only on the rear arms?

I had them on all four arms. Screw holes. Motor mounts came later. Right front then left rear. Fixed those then it came again in a way far worse than before which made it irreparable. I never sent mine it at the first crack in June because I figured I would rather fly this summer than wait 8 weeks or more for a turnaround like all my other friends and their cracked phantoms. None of us ever crashed. We are all experienced rc collective pitch helicopters guys. I never had any interest in getting a free crappy shell. I personally love the phantom's form factor and electronics. I would be willing to pay up to 2 thousand Euro for the same phantom but with a better stronger shell.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Many thanks for the information.

I will give Maplins a call tomorrow.

Just got the receipt out.

Heli Guy? Are they DJI authorised?
Do they do warranty work for DJI?

Thank you

Yes HeliGuy are the UK official service centre.
I bet Maplin will swop out for you though. They were great when I had problems with my V2+.

DJI Germany?

D4T Pom exactly the same place as mine. It could even be my drone. Both on rear arms and both failing within 48 hours.

Be interesting to see if the new she'll mentioned has any examples of failures?

Yes HeliGuy are the UK official service centre.
I bet Maplin will swop out for you though. They were great when I had problems with my V2+.

Shall I take the Phantom and all its contents that came with it in the box it came with to the Maplin store?

Checked online and shows they have 2 in stock.

Should I show them the cracks?

Will take half day off work tomorrow to get this sorted.

D4T Pom exactly the same place as mine. It could even be my drone. Both on rear arms and both failing within 48 hours.

Be interesting to see if the new she'll mentioned has any examples of failures?

My P3 has been flawless apart from this crack, my jaw dropped when I saw them tonight.

The P3 is remarkable, I would actually pay to get it repaired considering this does not happen again.

Have DJI upped the game and got a better shell?

Shall I take the Phantom and all its contents that came with it in the box it came with to the Maplin store?

Checked online and shows they have 2 in stock.

Should I show them the cracks?

Will take half day off work tomorrow to get this sorted.

Yes do that - tell them it is a design flaw that is well known. I bet they will swop out for you.
I bought from Maplin even though they were a tad more than online - really glad I did.

Reactions: GoodnNuff

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT