Phantom P3 not fit for purpose.

Yes do that - tell them it is a design flaw that is well known. I bet they will swop out for you.
I bought from Maplin even though they were a tad more than online - really glad I did.

Great I will call them before I go down.

Sorry for all the questions.

So everything has to be taken back in the DJI box?

I've purchased a new airframe for an eventual transplant. Until then, use some strong arms and eight strategically placed zip ties. It is much more rigid than before. If DJI does not replace the original in a timely fashion, I'm gonna start spreading the word as much as possible. I encourage everyone to raise hell with DJI and tell everyone about your $1,500 paper weight. See pics.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1442793729.759024.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1442793755.800340.jpg

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Yes if you can do that much better chance of them just swopping it all out.

Thank you so much for your help wibble, just another question.

Say Maplin exchange my P3A for another P3A, what if the same happens to the new one?

I'm pretty sure the stock Maplins has is an old stock, I'm just curious as to what the hell DJI is doing.

Have they actually rectified the shell and made it more durable on later production model P3's?

I've purchased a new airframe for an eventual transplant. Until then, use some strong arms and eight strategically placed zip ties. It is much more rigid than before. If DJI does not replace the original in a timely fashion, I'm gonna start spreading the word as much as possible. I encourage everyone to raise hell with DJI and tell everyone about your $1,500 paper weight. See pics.View attachment 31328View attachment 31329

You say you purchased a new shell.

Is it more durable then the current shell?

Unless you got a revised shell, Crashed or not, I think everyone's will crack in due time.

You don't hear from it because not all users have internet or post on forums or speak the same language. Some may just read the post and follow the instructions and not say anything because they couldn't be stuffed registering.

Sending back to DJI is the best option. They are aware of the fault and dealing with it but they will NEVER publically admit to it. They might be in litigation issues and if they admit fault, the may end up with a hefty payout.

Unless you got a revised shell, Crashed or not, I think everyone's will crack in due time.

You don't hear from it because not all users have internet or post on forums or speak the same language. Some may just read the post and follow the instructions and not say anything because they couldn't be stuffed registering.

Sending back to DJI is the best option. They are aware of the fault and dealing with it but they will NEVER publically admit to it. They might be in litigation issues and if they admit fault, the may end up with a hefty payout.

That is the thing, have they got a revised shell?

Probably not. I would strengthen in with lots of Bondic. Like this. That's why you have to do this yourself. DJI will just send you another potentially defective shell after 6-8 weeks. No thanks. I would be willing to join a class action law suit though. Any lawyer Phantom pilots out there?

ATTACH=full]31332[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1442797444.596491.jpg
    ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1442797444.596491.jpg
    439.7 KB · Views: 380
That is the thing, have they got a revised shell?
Not sure.. I do know there is 2 variants - there is one with the "X" mould on the arms and the ones without.
I have the one without and I got mine in May 2015 (which I assume is the early batches). I got 1 motor crack from total of 3hrs. My assumption would be that the ones with the X is the revised. I have also read that the ones with the X also suffer from stress cracks.

Its spring/summer here and I don't want to lose 8 weeks of potential blue skies.
I used heat gun glue to reinforce the plastic and to minimise further vibrations. I've had 4 flights since then and I will post my findings at a later date.

Reactions: bobmyers
Here's an actual shot of my replacement air frame from DJI. As you can see, I've put Bondic in the problem areas.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1442801717.585854.jpg

Are there metal threaded inserts on the arm half on the left? I think I recall mine being plastic which I pulled it apart for a motor replacement.

DJI's comment on cracking around motors | DJI Phantom Forum

Post #11
Issues with X type shells.

You can see "new shell" ( i got one of the freshest Phantoms from production so i guess it is new) on the bottom that laster 40-ty something flights. Disregard the glue, it was just a fix until new shell arrived. At top you will see new shell and see howmuch weaker is it. The DJI dealer said this are the newest shells just recieved, maybe they are getting rid of old shells trough spare parts.

Spoke to Maplins store where I purchased my P3 from and they have said to take it down for an exchange.

I'm just wondering how long is the new one going to last now lol, I can't be going back and forth.

Kind of ******** if I may say so, not blaming Maplins but DJI need to up their game if they want to keep their customer happy.

UPDATE:

Ok, I have some good news and some bad news....

Went to Maplins where I bought my P3A from back in July, same store and funny enough was being served by the same sales rep that served me when I purchased the P3A.

I explained to him that I spoke to one of his colleagues in the morning and that he had asked for me to go down to store and show them the hairline crack on the arm next to the screw.

I took my P3 out of the box and showed the sales rep the crack, he asked if I had updated to the latest firmware with all the cool features and upgraded 2.7k camera option, I said yes (I only upgraded to 1.3.2 and not 1.4.0).

Next I asked him what batch of the P3A's they have in stock and he explained they got 2 in yesterday morning and opened one up, we both examined the new P3A and could not find a fault or see any new difference from my P3A apart from one being fresh and new lol

Put it back in the box and started doing the exchange, the Manager walked up and said 'if you want more of a piece of mind we received 3 P3P's in the morning and still in the back warehouse and I can give you a discount on the difference' (I know he was not lying as when I spoke to the store customer rep in the morning he said they only had 1 P3P in stock and a few P3A's and I also checked online last night and it showed they had 1 P3P and 3 P3A's)

They got out 2 P3P boxes one of which I took and another they put on store floor on display.

I paid less then asking price for my P3A when I first purchased it with discount and I only paid slightly more now for an upgrade to the P3P with the store Managers discount.
Overall very happy with their customer service, the Manager also said if you have or get any issues with this one which you shouldnt then bring it back and we will exchange it for you.

Now for the bad news...

Heavens opened up and its pissing down here in London

P.S I spoke to UK DJI authorised repairers Heli Guys and they said they cannot cover the stress cracks under warranty and that they have only had a few cases.
They never heard of new revised shells from DJI and that for them to swap out and fit a new shell it would cost me £140 parts and labour.

My new P3P, replacement and upgrade from my P3A and oh yes while at Maplins bought my 4 year old a RC Lambo

Attachments

• 1442859549975.jpg
    1442859549975.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 260
My P3 is at Heliguy UK just now having the updated shell fitted. They said it was a known problem and it would be done under warranty. Maybe they only fix them if you bought it from them.

The guys were saying that they had 50 P3's in that day to repair and I should have mine back this week.

Looks like you got a good deal with Maplin, does your new p3 have the updated motors?

Why would active braking put stress on the rear arms? In most cases, people are flying forward. When active braking kicks in, it will increase the torque on the front motors to pitch backward and stop.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding DJI's use of the term "active braking". Does this refer to the ESC actively braking the motors to slow them down as it does in the DIY world with BLHeli/Simonk esc firmware? I had just assumed they used it to mean how aggressively the copter tries to stop from fast flight.

Last edited:
My P3 is at Heliguy UK just now having the updated shell fitted. They said it was a known problem and it would be done under warranty. Maybe they only fix them if you bought it from them.

The guys were saying that they had 50 P3's in that day to repair and I should have mine back this week.

Looks like you got a good deal with Maplin, does your new p3 have the updated motors?

Spoke to a rep called Matt from Heli Guys, I'm thinking the same too, they are probably biased when it comes to their own customers who purchased from them.

That is a bit **** considering they are supposed to be a DJI authorised repairer and also they come up on DJI's website as UK centre.

How would I know what the new motors look like?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20