Phantom feel into sand this morning

Reaction score
It was on the edge of my case and when it revd up it 180 to the sand. I blew on it a lot and ran it upsidedown for a bit and blew more to get the sand out and took it out for a flight and all was well (made distance record).

I wonder if there's anything else I should do. I did notice the motors have gaps so that made me feel good that sand doesn't sit on the motors.

Last edited:
Get some compressed air and a brush, open her up and clean it all out. I wouldn't want sand on a circuit board or anywhere on the p3. there could be a metallic piece of sand that could potentially short out a circuit and cause problems. Mine flipped over too on the 3 burst startup revving into sand upside down about a month ago. Still perfectly fine today after probably 50 more flights...

Next time time don't run her upside down with the possibility of sand being in the motors, Turn each motor by hand ever so slowly and tap lightly. My case always has my LED flashlight just for cases like this. Glad she was ok.

Next time time don't run her upside down with the possibility of sand being in the motors, Turn each motor by hand ever so slowly and tap lightly. My case always has my LED flashlight just for cases like this. Glad she was ok.
Yes. I didn't mention I did that first for a while until there was no sand friction sound.

I'll air compress it later. Motors look sand free which I'm happy about. Is it easy to open the p3?

Don't start the motors again until you get compressed air on them.

Side note: Compressed air is expensive these days...jeez

My P2+ got sand into the motors. After putting it upside down and trying to work the sand out one motor was still binding. I was able to remove the motor mounting bolts from that motor letting the motor drop out about 1/2 inch with leads still attached and found there was sand under the motor. Cleaned it out with compressed air and solved the problem. I don't know if the P3 has the same extra length on the motor leads. I did not have to open the airframe at all.

After a few flights you may want to open the shell and blow out under the motors as the prop wash and airflow will also help clean the motors. Only place the residue can go is down and into the craft. After each flight turn the motors by hand and put an ear really close and listen for any grinding. If none fly on...

Thanks for the replies all. Motors and housing look as good as new thanks to a full air compressor canister. I'll also check periodically for residue.

On a side not... I decided to go the distance after my flop (after insuring the quad is safe to fly off course). 8000 feet!

Attachments

• 1437532831066.jpg
    1437532831066.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 394
Reactions: Jbundy63

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl