Phantom Drones used in TV Production

Reaction score
I was watching an episode of "Alaskan Bush People" the other night, and like many reality shows these days, there are a lot of drone shots. I did notice the shadow of the drone in one shot, and it was clearly a Phantom.

Why do you think a production like this would decide to use a Phantom vs. an Inspire with the Micro 4/3's camera or another higher-end system? (Not that there's anything wrong with the Phantom of course, just wondering what other considerations there might have been. I fly a Phantom 3 myself).

There are many other reality shows (Bering Sea Gold, Gold Rush, Dark Woods Justice, etc.) that use a lot of drone shots. Anyone have any thoughts to share?

I noticed the same one you did. It's funny, after you own one, you look at tv/movies differently. What I used to always think was from a chopper I now realize is a quad copter/drone.
Think of the money they save. What used to cost tens of thousands of dollars for aerial footage, can now be done for the price of a Phantom 3 Professional.
What's even cooler is that you and I can have these same platforms without having to get a second mortgage :)

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Why do you think a production like this would decide to use a Phantom vs. an Inspire with the Micro 4/3's camera or another higher-end system? (Not that there's anything wrong with the Phantom of course, just wondering what other considerations there might have been. I fly a Phantom 3 myself).
The Phantom provides more video quality than they need for broadcast tv so no need to use the heavy artillery.
The Phantom has a huge advantage over the inspire in portability and ease of use.

An Inspire with the X5 gimbal is overkill for quick and dirty 'Reality' TV where post processing is going to be cutting the footage into 10 second bits and setting the levels. The director isn't going to be angsting about the 'light being wrong' or the focus on the wrong spot. An iPhone would work and has been used.

For cinema or more artistic compositions, the extra data headroom (better bitrate, better format, better lens, better dynamic range) becomes increasingly important as does equipment price.

Horses for courses.

Scenes are only a few seconds. They buy A LOT of batteries I am sure :)

The scene may have only been a few seconds but how long did they film to get those seconds? When changing batteries you are not filming

My point was they have a lot of batteries. I know they film hours to get minutes. But I also know it is not hours of continuous film. They cut many times.. If it was not efficient they would still be using choppers and light planes.

I produce a weekly sportfishing show for FOX Sports West. And believe it or not, they want their product sent to them in 1280x720. So the Phantom is really overkill.

Reactions: MasterBlaster
I produce a weekly sportfishing show for FOX Sports West. And believe it or not, they want their product sent to them in 1280x720. So the Phantom is really overkill.
Any recommendations on filming for those of us out here that are amateurs? I'd love to hear filming advice from someone like yourself.

Phantom is definitely overkill for most news/reality clips ..... and the price is so right. A fool and their money can soon part ...... or not.

I filmed for The Travel Channel and only used Phantom3P for everything. I was shocked when they notified me they want everything shot in 1080p.

The Phantom is quick, easy, very capable and cost to replace is next to nothing these days. It's basically using the right tool for the job at hand like not using a sledge hammer to drive nails into your wall to hang pictures from.

The company I work for requires liability insurance, pilot's license, section 333, and an extensive demo flight flown per their directions.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl