Phantom connection Broken - new guy here

Reaction score
I just received my Phantom the other day and have been setting it up and doing "ground maneuvers" :D I continually get
"Phantom Connection Broken" even when controller and aircraft are next to each other. I am using a Samsung S4 smart phone and I'm not sure if the problem is with the phone or the range extender/aircraft. I noticed in my searches that the Samsung Note 3 had similar problems.

Any ideas on what problem I might have?

Thanks for your time.

There could be 2.4Ghz wifi interference where you are. Try a different location if you haven't already. Turn off auto network switch in your phones wifi settings. Try a different phone if you can. Mine can't keep a connection in my front yard but in the back yard and lots of other locations it is fine. I haven't figured out what my front yard problem is yet as it just started happening over the weekend. I use a note3 without issues using app version 1.0.39.

The absolute worst place for me to fly is my own backyard. If there is any hiccup at all my phone will switch to my home network. The only way around it is to "forget" my home network so it doesn't auto connect to it.

kgarrison said:
The absolute worst place for me to fly is my own backyard. If there is any hiccup at all my phone will switch to my home network. The only way around it is to "forget" my home network so it doesn't auto connect to it.

Turn off "Smart Switching".

Hi, A few newbie questions,

Honest guy :geek: so this is my second try with these questions, and I made an update to text.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,
Got one and have now for some days been reading up on things.
I have not yet made the maiden flight, like to know what I am doing first

I have not found looking (probably missed it) any conclusive around doing the advanced IMU calibration and would like to know the following. Is it best done outside far from disturbances (metal and stuff) from a portable or is it fine doing it inside and the most important thing is to have it level and don't move it? (if outside level and no move goes without saying)

I have been looking and not really found a program that can convert the flytrex dat file into something "useful"? so is there a way without have to use the flytrex site?
(update, gave up on this and bought an external iGotU gt-120 gps instead, have DashWare since before (other stuff) and would like to use it)

I also now spent a lot of time trying to understand the fly away's (cost some so...) and one of the pieces of information I came across was this which made a lot of sense imo., (at least from my newbie perspective)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ge3GuhEDRM

Have you seen it and what's your opinion, also the suggested firmware solution last in the video made a lot of sense imo. And how about the way he goes about the "before flight" now, would it help or not?
And a question in that area is what is the max value on the limit working area?

Videostream high res, high frame gives you how many meters distance?
I guess low res low frame is those in best of case 500-700, I will try it for my self but just curious right now.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

-Tomas

Well I tried all suggestions, re-binded, turned off automatic switching to no avail. Still loose signal. Correct me if I'm wrong, the Wifi signal has nothing to do with the actual flying of the craft right? All it does is connect the camera to the phone right? So if I set up the camera to film while I have the connection, it will still put the image on the SD card even if the connection to the phone is broke. Frankly, I can't see anything on the phone anyway, it's far too bright in the So. California desert sun.

Flew this morning for about two hours, great fun and no mishaps yet. It reminds me as a 10 year old kid flying U wire controlled model airplanes in the school yard :D Now I'm 70 and can afford better toys :lol:

Thanks again for your time.

Paul

I have the same problem. Screen glare is way to bright. Only way I can see anything is if I'm in the shade with
my Samsung Note 3, very frustratiing.

Is that Tincup, Colorado?

Re: Hi, A few newbie questions,

Geert said:
Hi Tomas,

Yes, you can do IMU calibration inside.
There are several videos on youtube which can help you about IMU/ compass calibration.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LuN_NN4QyY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCT1rRE_UIg

I am also using the Flytrex, first the older version and since a few weeks the new one. As far as I know you have to use the Flytrex website to upload your missions. This gives me all the info and data that I need, you can export this data from the Flytrex site to view it in 3D in Google Earth.

There is a lot of information on this forum about fly aways. This topic maybe interesting to read : viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4938

How many meters distance you get using high res video stream depends on several things. What area, is there a lot of wifi interference etc....
Of course more distance with lower frame rate.

Geert.
Hi Gert,
Thank you very much for the answer
Smiling.gif

And thanks for the thread tip, I will read up on that one.

When looking for my thread I could not find it first then I realised it was moved into a new thread?

Mine - "Hi, A few newbie questions,"
Now in - "Phantom connection Broken - new guy here"

-Tomas

Edit in,
Did see that you have experienced some sql problems so that might be it.

mtnhiflyr, yea I don't know how they get all the beautiful screen shots on the DJI web page. They must be in a shaded area of some kind. I'll keep plugging at it.

No, it's from the movie "Tincup", there's realy a Tincup, CO? I'll have to check that out on Google maps :D

Paul

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart