Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Phantom Battery Won't Charge - LED blinks 3 times

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by CaptainDrone798, Jun 19, 2016.

1. CaptainDrone798

DJI sent me a replacement Phantom recently. However, the battery included must have been sitting for a very long time without a charge since it was manufactured. The battery just blinks 1 green bar 3 times in a row.

This is what I have tried so far to get it to charge:

- Connected it to two different charges (one is a DJI slow charge, and one is a DJI fast charge). No success.
    - Held down the button x 2 on the battery until it went to 4 bars, then quickly connected the charger. It then blinks 1 green bar and appears to be charging, but it really isn't. After 5 mins it returns to 1 green bar blinking 3 times in a row.
    -Tried it in my car with a cigarette Phantom battery charger. No success.

It is apparent that the charge (voltage) has become so low that the not so smart battery won't charge with the DJI charges.

Any suggestions?
    20160619_104821.jpg

2. Mark The Droner

Did you try waiting five+ minutes after plugging in the charger?

3. WetDog

Patience Padwan.... if that doesn't work it is probably a bad battery. Although there are some ways to force the issue (charge with a regular power supply), unless you have some experience in this area, I'd suggest just sending it back. You really want to have some faith in the power supply as these things don't autorotate.

4. CaptainDrone798

Do you mean, did I leave it on the charger for five or more minutes? If so, then Yes. Left it for a few hours in different configurations.

5. msinger

Approved Vendor

This recently happened to two of my Inspire 1 batteries. There is a known Inspire 1 firmware issue that allows batteries to discharge down to an unsafe level -- which doesn't affect Phantom batteries. I'm just mentioning that point because I know mine discharged too low and now they don't light up at all. I'd recommend you return them and get a replacement.

6. Great_Lakes

I think my question is the same, but I want to re-ask it to be sure. P3P.

Just recently after a flight, I brought the bird in with about 35% battery left. Normally when I plug it into the charger the lights will blink in order and add a light as it charges. (starts with one light blinking, then two, three, etc. This last time however, when I plugged into the charger, the 4th light blinked a few times by itself, then no lights would blink at all. I unplugged it and tried a couple more times with the same result. The battery isn't very old, about 4 months with maybe 15 charges on it.

I had heard about "force charging" on this forum, so I tried that. I pressed the on button on the battery once, then held it down until the battery turned on. (the same as if it was starting up in the bird) The battery came on with 2 lights, then I connected the charger and it charged fully.

Does anyone know what the blinking 4th light means and why it wouldn't charge normally?

7. happydays

From memory (no manual close to hand) it might be too hot?

Allan Marriott likes this.
  8. Great_Lakes

Could be. The battery is always very warm after an extended flight, and has always charged immediately after the flight even when hot. This is the only time it gave me this issue. Maybe it was "extra hot" this time. Thanks.

9. FantomFlier

The behavior you noticed was the 'intelligence' in the battery rejecting the charge because it was still too warm.
    You should never charge 'immediately after' a flight, even if the battery will accept a charge. Let the battery cool down first. This will greatly extend the battery's life.

Great_Lakes likes this.
  10. Great_Lakes

Thank you. I did not know that.