Phantom 4 remote compatible with a P4 Advanced Drone

Reaction score
Hello my question is can a phantom 4 standard remote controller be used to fly a phantom 4 advanced drone?

No. You could use a P4P or P4P+ remote controller though.

Last edited:
I disagree. The Phantom 4 Advanced requires a Model GL300C controller. The 4Pro uses a GL300F. Not sure about the Pro+ - the Advanced+ uses a GL300E, and I THINK that's the same for an 4Pro+ For some odd reason, they seem to be real funny about these model numbers and compatibility, so be careful. Get it from the horses' mouth - DJI online help.

Last edited:
I disagree. The Phantom 4 Advanced requires a Model GL300C controller.
Did you try linking your P4P remote controller and P4P+ remote controller to your P4A? Both linked okay for me.

Make sure you change the Remote Controller Type in the following section of DJI GO before attempting to link the remote controller to your P4A:

DJI-GO-Remote-Controller-Choose-Type-for-P4.jpg

You know, I read something similar to that, without the screenshots, and thought they were just referring to the drone selection on the first page! Wish I knew of this before I returned that GL300F!

Did you try linking your P4P remote controller and P4P+ remote controller to your P4A? Both linked okay for me.

Make sure you change the Remote Controller Type in the following section of DJI GO before attempting to link the remote controller to your P4A:

View attachment 91605

No wonder I didn't see it - it wasn't there on the IOS version....unless it appears only after linking is started, but I also hit 'link' with no drone present, and still don't see it. It seems I only choose the model on the opening page. Well, SECOND page if you consider the goldfish page the opening page....and thanks for reply!
Wonder what would happen using the "non-software" method?

I wonder if the GL658C inspire controller will link OK with the P4A. It will link and fly the P4 OK, which uses GL300C as the stock controller. My experience is the GL658 has more transmit power. It provides me more range with my P4 versus the GL300C.

Would a P4A RC link to a P4 AC?

I wonder if the GL658C inspire controller will link OK with the P4A. It will link and fly the P4 OK, which uses GL300C as the stock controller. My experience is the GL658 has more transmit power. It provides me more range with my P4 versus the GL300C.
I admit to being a newbie, but I've seen a lot of forums. I'm afraid a lot of people are blowing smoke. DJI informed me that the Phantom 4 A requires a GL300C Version B. Those screenshots look photoshopped - the only place you can choose the model is on the opening page of the software. Not trying to stir s*** here - just the facts. I've tried 2 different controllers that folks have said will work with the P4A. No. Doesn't work. The P4A seems to be a bit of a bastard child - a decent drone, but requires particular accessories in many cases. So there is no controller to use other than the GL300C ver b. Just accept it. If you want more range, mod your controller and kiss your warranty goodby. Do it right, don't screw it up, and it won't be a problem. I've gotten to 14,880 ft, and I'm looking to do better. The battery should be the main range limiting factor after my next mod. I'm in the Ohio Valley and working with varied terrain, although I'm on high ground. Notice something from my old CB radio days - signals seem to like traveling over water - I'm getting my best range by going down river, even though it's not a straight line. Love the experimenting and looking forward to getting a set of amps.

Last edited:
I've tried 2 different controllers that folks have said will work with the P4A. No. Doesn't work.
Which remote controllers have you tried?

I admit to being a newbie, but I've seen a lot of forums. I'm afraid a lot of people are blowing smoke. DJI informed me that the Phantom 4 A requires a GL300C Version B. Those screenshots look photoshopped - the only place you can choose the model is on the opening page of the software. Not trying to stir s*** here - just the facts. I've tried 2 different controllers that folks have said will work with the P4A. No. Doesn't work. The P4A seems to be a bit of a bastard child - a decent drone, but requires particular accessories in many cases. So there is no controller to use other than the GL300C ver b. Just accept it. If you want more range, mod your controller and kiss your warranty goodby. Do it right, don't screw it up, and it won't be a problem. I've gotten to 14,880 ft, and I'm looking to do better. The battery should be the main range limiting factor after my next mod. I'm in the Ohio Valley and working with varied terrain, although I'm on high ground. Notice something from my old CB radio days - signals seem to like traveling over water - I'm getting my best range by going down river, even though it's not a straight line. Love the experimenting and looking forward to getting a set of amps.
That's an interesting tidbit. I didn't know there was such a thing as a "B" rev of the GL300C. That could be good news if they increased the transmit power equal to the GL300F that's used on the P4P. The original GL300C for the P4 is a POS IMO, and because of that I would have never recommended the P4A, but it the B version has more power, than it might be good, with the 4mi range of the P4P. The P4 struggles to get 1mi consistently with GL300C, even with Windsurfer, which is why I switched to GL658A.

Interesting comment you made about P4A being a bastard child. That's somewhat true, even this forum feels that way, depriving the P4A of it's own section for conversations :D.

Which remote controllers have you tried?
The GL300C and a GL300F - I've concluded I don't need an extra, stock controller that bad, anymore ;-)
Although there is a guy on ebay with a bunch(10) of the GL300C V b for $275. Not a terrible price, and they are allegedly brand new.
I've been flying OK, but getting the right accessories is my newbie curse. That's how we learn. At least the one guy accepted a return, and I took only a $30 hit reselling the other.

That's an interesting tidbit. I didn't know there was such a thing as a "B" rev of the GL300C. That could be good news if they increased the transmit power equal to the GL300F that's used on the P4P. The original GL300C for the P4 is a POS IMO, and because of that I would have never recommended the P4A, but it the B version has more power, than it might be good, with the 4mi range of the P4P. The P4 struggles to get 1mi consistently with GL300C, even with Windsurfer, which is why I switched to GL658A.

Interesting comment you made about P4A being a bastard child. That's somewhat true, even this forum feels that way, depriving the P4A of it's own section for conversations :D.
I got 8000-someodd ft with the barefoot controller; having a blast modding and increasing the range. Don't see much on bird side antenna modding, probably with good reason, but doing both would have to be the way to go. There's no way I'm going to crack that drone shell open....at least not 'til I get a P5 ;-)

The GL300E and GL300F are the only remote controllers that will work for me. They both definitely work (I own both and have linked them).

The GL300E and GL300F are the only remote controllers that will work for me. They both definitely work (I own both and have linked them).
If you're using them with a Phantom 4 Advanced, I'd like to know how you linked them.

If you're using them with a Phantom 4 Advanced, I'd like to know how you linked them.
Yes, I'm linking my P4P and P4P+ remote controllers to my P4A.

Follow these steps:

1) Power on the remote controller and change the "Remote Controller Type" setting to "Phantom 4 Advanced" in DJI GO (see my screenshot above).
2) Power off the remote controller and power it back on.
3) Link the remote controller to the P4A (like you link any P4 remote controller).

i was wondering if i could use standard phantom 4 controller with another phantom 4 standard????????????
Yes, if they are the same model just link the RC to the drone in the Go4 app. The linking process is buried in the GO4 options pretty good, but look long enough for RC Linking and you'll find it. Just follow the directions. It gives you a minute to push the button on the craft after you start the process in Go4. You'll need a paper clip to push the tiny button on the craft.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpren3