Phantom 4 Pro Plus

Reaction score
Hi everyone;

I would very much appreciate your thoughts on this situation.

A (supposedly) brand new DJI Phantom 4 Pro Plus arrived from Amazon.ca here the other day and after unpacking it all and charging it up I turned on the remote to find a map of Berlin, Germany on the screen. Now, why would a map of Berlin show up on a BRAND NEW Phantom? Shouldn't it be a map of my own area if it was first turned on by me, the NEW owner?

I've also come across a few other "things" that bother me, for example. I understand that there's some sort of seal over the latch on the Styrofoam case it comes in, yet mine had no such seal.

Now, I don't believe for a minute that Amazon new about this, however, what I think has happened (and please correct me if I'm wrong here) is that someone bought it and returned it to DJI which in turn did whatever they had to do (refurbished perhaps) and sent it off to Amazon.ca as stock for sale.

Does anyone think that this could be the case here or am I all wet? With map, the missing seal, and I get error messages saying "SD Card Error" on five of my eight Micro SD Cars that worked fine in my Phantom 3 Pro at 4K I'm thinking there's something rotten afoot here.

Oh, and by the way, I have sent DJI three messages asking about this very issue and they have not even acknowledged the fact that I sent the emails, let alone get no replies to them.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this, but it's going back to Amazon in the morning by UPS.

Thanks for your time and your thoughts about this.

Bud

got mine from B&H and the map is Germany. Once I'm outside and get GPS lock it changes to where I am. Once back inside I see Germany again. No idea why.
Best... Steve

Mine had the China map...I assume that's because it was QC tested there.

That's odd, you too have Germany. I don't know much about this stuff but wouldn't it be safe to assume that the country in which it's first turned on and subject to the satellites, that's what will register on the remote first?

Bud

got mine from B&H and the map is Germany. Once I'm outside and get GPS lock it changes to where I am. Once back inside I see Germany again. No idea why.
Best... Steve

That's odd, you too have Germany. I don't know much about this stuff but wouldn't it be safe to assume that the country in which it's first turned on and subject to the satellites, that's what will register on the remote first?

Bud

No, DJI GO 4 has been weird in regards to the map. With my P4, the map load a random location every time. I have to click the map, and then click the circle in the upper right, and select the icon for the drone location for the map to bring me to the drone location after it gets a GPS lock.

China I can understand because they're made there and hopefully quality controlled there but Berlin, Germany? That makes me very uncomfortable. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if DJI put machines back out that were in for repair. I don't trust them at all given their reputation for very lousy service after the sale.

Bud

Mine shows China as well until a GPS Lock.

All of the new units show the initial location as Berlin, or on occasion China. Also there is no seal on the latch. You almost certainly have a new unit and are freaking out over nothing, and if you exchange it are just going to get the same thing.

Reactions: Meta4 and aviscomi
Mine is refurbished and the serial no. Has an R at the end. This is what I have read and been told.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

China I can understand because they're made there and hopefully quality controlled there but Berlin, Germany? That makes me very uncomfortable. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if DJI put machines back out that were in for repair. I don't trust them at all given their reputation for very lousy service after the sale.
You are being far too suspicious.
There's no indication that there's anything wrong with your Phantom.

The Berlin map thing is not a problem at all.
It's just that Berlin is where Here Maps defaults to when it has no location input from your phone or tablet.
Turn on location services or go outdoors to pick up GPS satellites and it will show wherever you are.
Switch off location services and it's back to Berlin.

And as others have said, there is no seal and the P4pro is more fussy about which SD cards you feed it than previous models.

As for DJI's service, you might be surprised.
Don't believe everything you read on the net.

Regarding the SD cards, the P4P writes at 100mbps, the P4 and P3 write at 60mbps. That's likely why the P4P prefers the best SD cards, it's needed to support the higher write speed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src72