Phantom 4 Live video feed pink and yellow artifacts / lines on tablet

Reaction score
I searched but couldn't find this anywhere else. I can't show an example, as this does NOT show up in recorded video (at least not that I have found yet, but sometimes I shoot LONG videos, and haven't thoroughly combed through), but this is my problem.

While streaming live video from my P4, occasionally, and not all the time, I get this group / block of lines that quickly shows up, it's pinkish in color with what appears to be a line or 2 of yellow. if these were rows of pixels across the screen, i'd say they were 10 or so rows. It'll flash, literally seconds, then go away. It might repeat back to back, but never for any length of time. At first i thought it was video lag and scrambled video feed, but I am just not sure.

Anyone else have this issue? I am not sure if it happened since I updated to 2.8 Go App, or if I just didn't really catch it before. It didn't seem to do it on my iPad, and I noticed it on my Galaxy Tab, but the other day, for a brief second once, it came up on the iPad, and the iPad is still on 2.7.2.

I read something about overexposure warning, could this be it and maybe I just don't see it in recorded video?

Any suggestions would be great. I've formatted the SD card numerous times, and I usually do after every day of flying and copying the data from the card. I will also try a new card, weather permitting tomorrow.

Apologies in advance if it's been covered and I just didn't see it.

I read something about overexposure warning, could this be it and maybe I just don't see it in recorded video?
It's definitely not the overexposure warning. That shows on the screen as black and white stripes in the overexposed areas.

Reactions: arcaine25
Do you have the HDMI module installed in the controller?

No HDMI module, all stock P4, no mods or extras. Just bought it a couple weeks ago from Best Buy.

Well it seems to be an issue being swept under the carpet.

I saw on the other forum that we definitely weren't alone (not that I expected us to be). How much of a stink do we need to raise? I have 30 days to return mine still (well, less than 30, but quite some time still) and I am not afraid to do so. I wonder what the actual percentage is of people experiencing it?

Hi,

I get the same thing, even posted a video:

Still no ideas what could be causing this, because it's rather frequent foe me.

Best,

Alari

Reactions: arcaine25
Hi,

I get the same thing, even posted a video:

Still no ideas what could be causing this, because it's rather frequent foe me.

Best,

Alari
It happened to me today also. First 5 seconds of recording was fine, then garbled for 5-6 seconds, then fine for the rest of the flight. !? No clue as to what it is, I was using the histogram and camera settings were correct.

I noticed this same trouble on my Samsung Galaxy Note E. I hadnt noticed it on my iPad, so I'm going to give it a try and see if it's an Android thing, or just a generic video feed problem.

I'm happy it doesnt show up on the saved video, and seems to be isolated to the live feed. But it sure is annoying.

Reactions: Mark C.
It happened to me today also. First 5 seconds of recording was fine, then garbled for 5-6 seconds, then fine for the rest of the flight. !? No clue as to what it is, I was using the histogram and camera settings were correct.
I have the same issue with my note 4. I ordered a K1 shield and the problem was still there. I decided to try my kids mini 2 and no issues with that.
I don't understand what is going on. I just spoke with someone who has the K1 on this forum and he doesn't have this problem. I am at a lost

I have the same issue with my note 4. I ordered a K1 shield and the problem was still there. I decided to try my kids mini 2 and no issues with that.
I don't understand what is going on. I just spoke with someone who has the K1 on this forum and he doesn't have this problem. I am at a lost
I loaded my SD card in my computer and watched the footage, everything was fine. I don't know why I got a scrambled screen, but has not happened again. Might of been interference because I was flying around metal buildings.

I loaded my SD card in my computer and watched the footage, everything was fine. I don't know why I got a scrambled screen, but has not happened again. Might of been interference because I was flying around metal buildings.

I agree it was interference but not sure what could it have been since it didn't happen in the mini 2. I did the test back to back, same area, flight patch. All within a 5 min time frame. With the K1 I got weak sigal at 1100 feet. With the mini 2 it was at 2000k feet no issues at all.

I agree it was interference but not sure what could it have been since it didn't happen in the mini 2. I did the test back to back, same area, flight patch. All within a 5 min time frame. With the K1 I got weak sigal at 1100 feet. With the mini 2 it was at 2000k feet no issues at all.
In my case, it was a very bright day. I'm using an iPad mini 2, I have a sun sheild but was still difficult to see the screen, I was not able to see my signal strength, I was only 50 feet from my aircraft so I'm assuming I had good signal strength. Still have no idea why it happened.

The tablet shouldn't make a difference in how far you can go, as the tablet doesn't connect to the Phantom. even in WiFi models the tablets connect to the internal WiFi hotspot created by the controller, and the controller connects to the bird, so the tablet has no bearing on the distance you can go. But I too have said that iPad does not have any of the lines like we have posted (personally that is), but my Android does, and only since the most recent App and firmware updates. I have not experienced it on my Phantom 3 Advanced or Phantom 3 4k though.

Last edited:
The tablet shouldn't make a difference in how far you can go, as the tablet doesn't connect to the Phantom. even in WiFi models the tablets connect to the internal WiFi hotspot created by the controller, and the controller connects to the bird, so the tablet has no bearing on the distance you can go. But I too have said that iPad does not have any of the lines like we have posted, but my Android does, and only since the most recent App and firmware updates. I have not experienced it on my Phantom 3 Advanced or Phantom 3 4k though.
Ok. That's understandable. Maybe the issue is with the Android app. If that's the case then returning the K1 was an over reaction. I figured since my Androids were acting up the P4 was meant for Apple products. I went to the place where I bought it, Drone Nerds and they said the P4 was meant for Apple products, especially the mini 4. I couldn't afford the mini 4 so I went the K1 route. Maybe I should have kept it and waited on a new GO App update. That K1 was nice I was just so disappointed with the glitching.

Ok. That's understandable. Maybe the issue is with the Android app. If that's the case then returning the K1 was an over reaction. I figured since my Androids were acting up the P4 was meant for Apple products. I went to the place where I bought it, Drone Nerds and they said the P4 was meant for Apple products, especially the mini 4. I couldn't afford the mini 4 so I went the K1 route. Maybe I should have kept it and waited on a new GO App update. That K1 was nice I was just so disappointed with the glitching.

Lots of guys are using the Shield with positive results. There are a lot of benefits to using the iPad, but that has to do with top notch hardware being used in apple products over lower end more affordable Android tablets. Apple's hardware is designed by apple for their standards, but Android is a free for all and "anyone can make it" type deal, so one manufacturer might skimp, another might use high end etc. Apple has always been about control of the hardware and software, which is why apple products just work, Apple is in control.
Samsung S2 tablets are also great performers, as are Nvidia Shield K1's (been trying to get one myself). The "nerd" sounds like they aren't up on their tech. Does the Phantom play nice with Apple? Yes, yes indeed, but it's not SOLELY designed for Apple. Just high end hardware due to the video feed and what not, needs a beefy system.

I think I have the same problem, my tests reveal radio signal overload!, I am using a high gain beam aerial and can point it away from the P4, at close range and it instantly restores the videostream, point it back again and bingo, stream pixalated and blotchy lines, ..........I understand the P3 doesn't have this issue?

all this is rubbish......i bought a new ipad mini 4 and has cured everything!, so the dji device list is a load of crap!

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart