Phantom 4 Controller Will Not Fully Charge

Looks like cold solder joints on the main board according to some research.

There's a known problem with bad solder joints on the P4 controller board. It's been documented in several threads and several different DIY fixes have been suggested. Seems like the number of reported cases is increasing. Here's the latest thread for what may be a relatively easy fix...

P4 (original) remote charging issue FIXED!

This worked for me:
This worked for me also!!

Bought an SMD Hot Air Rework Station on Amazon. Dismantled the controller, Set machine to 300° C and an air setting of 4. 30 seconds on small 8 pin rectangular component to the right of the LED's. Tried my charger and 4 lights. Prior to fix only had one light that lasted only seconds. Just finished test flight and everything was perfect. App said battery was at 95%. Last but not least on my P4 controller the screws on the small outer cover took a 1.5mm hex wrench to remove, You do not need to remove the small board. Just detach the large ribbon cable that passes through the outer shell. Though I can see how this cable would be easier to re-attach if the board was loose.

My next step was to repair it myself, if the warranty claim was denied. Since they repaired it, I dont have to. Im sure they just reflowed the cold solder joints and are sending it back. As long as it charges, thats all I care about.

I had the same Problem My controller would only charge like 60% then after a while it was almost at the point of not charging.
Since my drone Warranty was up I sent it into Drone world because I thought I needed a new battery. and come to find out
it was not the battery there is a chip that fails after so many charges. So they replaced the chip for 60.00
and now it charges just like new.

Yes I did I too had the same issues and I sent my controller into Drone World and found out there is a chip inside that will not last but it controls your charge. So they replaced this chip for 70.00 and I have now charged my controller over and over and it charges all the way to 100% and got it back in a week.

I am having the same issue with my controller. Called DJI tonight and was told that since my controller is out of warranty (only 6 months on the controller even though I have had the aircraft and controller for less than a year) I would have to pay for shipping both ways and the repair. The suggestion from DJI Customer Support is that I purchase a new controller - cause I would have 6 months of warranty again!! Talk about "customer no service". She could not give me any estimate of repair costs to help make a reasoned decision since there was no way to know what "the damage" to the controller was. Sounds like they are denying that there is an issue and lining their pockets with our money by suggesting that you purchase a new controller - which will most likely have the same issue given what I have read here and on the DJI forums, too.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl