Phantom 4 Controller Will Not Fully Charge

Same problem here. Hadn't flown my P4 in a while since getting the Pro and now it won't charge past 67%.....

Let's see what Apple says.

This is an actual physical malfunction of the remote control. I had to send in my remote to the DJI center, and they replaced it (as a warranty service).

Hi there.
We decieded to open the RC and make some tests.
So our conclution is that the RC is sensing wrong the battery and is not a battery problem, the battery is perfectly ok with the cells at 100% capacity.

There is a lot of chance there is a software/hardware RC problem.

A user on the dji forum wrote that it is an issue related to a bad soldering of the components on the board. Did you tried to refresh the weldings of the components?
Is it there any pictures or instructions on how to proper open the controller?

Today I tried flying with just one battery led on the rc.
I could fly without problems till the end of the multicopter battery.
So, if we know that the battery is correctly charged and not damaged, I could ignore the leds on the rc and do my flight. Do you agree with me?

Did not work on mine. From 20% charge it started beeping and was down to dangeriously low levels in just a few minutes. So now my second RC is back with DJI for repair/replacement.

Abysmal quality, the second RC worked for less than six weeks before it developed the same charging issue as the first one. And no, I am not doing anything weird, just fly in normal weather conditions.

Did not work on mine. From 20% charge it started beeping and was down to dangeriously low levels in just a few minutes. So now my second RC is back with DJI for repair/replacement.

Abysmal quality, the second RC worked for less than six weeks before it developed the same charging issue as the first one. And no, I am not doing anything weird, just fly in normal weather conditions.
Did it shutdown or just started beeping?

Did it shutdown or just started beeping?

I had two white LED's lit. After five minutes of flight time it went down to one blinking LED and the RC started beeping, but it didn't shut down. Upon landing, I tried to charge the RC but it never went higher than 20% before the charging stops. So now it is back with DJI. This is my second RC, the first one was replaced for this very issue.

I had two white LED's lit. After five minutes of flight time it went down to one blinking LED and the RC started beeping, but it didn't shut down. Upon landing, I tried to charge the RC but it never went higher than 20% before the charging stops. So now it is back with DJI. This is my second RC, the first one was replaced for this very issue.
It was you to decide to land. I think that if you know that it is a false indication (the truth is that the battery is charge) you can continue your flight ignoring the acoustic alarm

It was you to decide to land. I think that if you know that it is a false indication (the truth is that the battery is charge) you can continue your flight ignoring the acoustic alarm

Well, it doesn't really matter, does it. There is no way to know the actual remaining charge of the RC battery if you cannot trust the indicators. I know that the Phantom would perform a RTH procedure even if the RC in fact went dead, but I am simply not risking it. Also it is impossible to enjoy the flight with that loud beeping going on.

When I connect the RC to the charger, it should keep charging for at least a couple of hours and consecutively turn on all four white LED's. Mine doesn't. The second LED starts blinking but then they all switch off after just five minutes, indicating that the charging has finished. In fact, even if I leave the RC plugged into the charger all night, the app will still only display 20% the next morning. If I then start flying, the acoustic low battery warning is issued after just like fifteen minutes.

I am quite sure that this a hardware issue and needs to be fixed. I expect DJI to do so since my P4 is still under warranty, but it is nevertheless extremely annoying, particularly since this is my second repair attempt for the exact same failure.

Last edited:
Well, it doesn't really matter, does it. There is no way to know the actual remaining charge of the RC battery if you cannot trust the indicators. I know that the Phantom would perform a RTH procedure even if the RC in fact went dead, but I am simply not risking it. Also it is impossible to enjoy the flight with that loud beeping going on.

When I connect the RC to the charger, it should keep charging for at least a couple of hours and consecutively turn on all four white LED's. Mine doesn't. The second LED starts blinking but then they all switch off after just five minutes, indicating that the charging has finished. In fact, even if I leave the RC plugged into the charger all night, the app will still only display 20% the next morning. If I then start flying, the acoustic low battery warning is issued after just like fifteen minutes.

I am quite sure that this a hardware issue and needs to be fixed. I expect DJI to do so since my P4 is still under warranty, but it is nevertheless extremely annoying, particularly since this is my second repair attempt for the exact same failure.
I totally agree with you.
The battery stops to recharge after 5 minutes because it is completely charged. What is wrong is just the low battery indicator

I totally agree with you.
The battery stops to recharge after 5 minutes because it is completely charged. What is wrong is just the low battery indicator

Yes, I think you might be right... It appears like the RC battery gets exhausted extremely quickly, like in three or four flights, an then the RC starts beeping. But in reality the battery is probably still good.

Last edited:
Just started having this problem too. Came here hoping to find a solution. Anyone try downgrading the remote firmware? If so, how did you do that?? Assistant 2 dosnet recognize the controller by itself, only the aircraft. :\

So I also had the same issue with my P4 controller and according to the DJI outlet/ dealer) i use for repairs this usually occurs shortly after an update is done and at least in my case there was no repairing for this. The controller went back to DJI for replacement.

Just tried to refresh the firmware, nada. Contacted DJI this AM, well see what happens. There seems to be a fix by reflowing solder joints on the main board, I wont do this unless they deny a repair ticket.

Just started having this problem too. Came here hoping to find a solution. Anyone try downgrading the remote firmware? If so, how did you do that?? Assistant 2 dosnet recognize the controller by itself, only the aircraft. :\

This is a hardware fault, nothing you can do about it. It is not related to firmware. The only thing to do is to have DJI replace the controller.

Looks like cold solder joints on the main board according to some research. I opened a trouble ticket and am sending the remote to DJI tomorrow. From what I understand I can be without my Phantom for about a month while they make repairs. :\

Just heard back from DJI. My controller is being repaired under warranty. Should get it back within a week. Thats pretty good service!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18