Phantom 4 Black Edition

I think a different colour is cool. My only concern is when the colour pigment is in the plastic, The colour replaces some of the plastic molecules and thus makes the plastic weaker.

I'd buy a P4P in black. While I prefer the black I'm not going to swap out my "standard" P4 for one...

Don't you have to disassemble your P4 to plasti-dip it?

The glossy finish on the white Phantoms makes plasti dip difficult. You would probably have to prep the entire surface with sand paper, to get it to apply properly.

I have a P4P that I'm shipping back to B & H Photo today. What's annoying is that recently it's hard enough, trying to get a hold of a new release from DJI. Now we have to wonder if they'll release a Exclusive Special Edition Black version at a later time.

After going from AR Drone 2.0>Phantom 3>Phantom 4>Inspire One>Typhoon 4K>Typhoon H Real Sense>Phantom 4>Mavic Pro> Phantom 4 Pro>Phantom 4 Black, it's really hard for me to find a real value in anything outside of the P4 at 1099.99USD....and it's Super Sexy in matte black!!! I can't say enough how sexy this bird is in person lol....the matte texture feels very premium. Especially on the controller. DJI's Phantom series has always been hard for me to swallow coming from Yuneec's offerings(black), because the white reminds me of a child's play thing. Now we have both stable software/hardware and the look of Airwolf lol..
IMG_0257.JPG

I should receive my black Landing Gear from Polar Pro on Monday.
IMG_0258.JPG

Last edited:
I ran into a local Best Buy tonight to see what they had in the way of these mysterious black drones. I saw they had 4 black batteries and about 4 boxes of black props. They had 3 or 4 P4s in the case but I couldn't tell if one or two in the back were black or not. I also wanted to know the price of the black batteries but I had to leave after only purchasing a couple boxes of black blades because my wife texted me that she was waiting to be picked up in freezing temperatures. I will probably go back tomorrow night to see all they have in the way of these scary black drones.

I will put the black blades on the rear motors just for the heck of it. If the black batteries are priced to sell, I may pick up a couple. Good prices allows me to open my wallet so we'll see. I really want a P4P battery but who knows when those will pop up locally.

Reactions: skygunner
I think a different colour is cool. My only concern is when the colour pigment is in the plastic, The colour replaces some of the plastic molecules and thus makes the plastic weaker.

I thought i read that white plastic tended to be weaker? I recently experienced shell cracks on my P4 im hypersensitive to it, one of the other posts showed apple had issues with their white plastics in the past as well.

personally i'd be more concerned about the shell absorbing heat in the summer considering the New Mexico sun! heat to electronics and batteries is bad.

I think an orange one would be better for daylight visibility. YMMV.

I thought i read that white plastic tended to be weaker? I recently experienced shell cracks on my P4 im hypersensitive to it, one of the other posts showed apple had issues with their white plastics in the past as well.

personally i'd be more concerned about the shell absorbing heat in the summer considering the New Mexico sun! heat to electronics and batteries is bad.
Different plastics have their qualities and how the castings are executed are key to strength vs weight. Yes the thermal expansion with black plastic will be greater and may soften the material somewhat. The thing with any pigment added to any substrate is that is replacing the material with colour which in most casses may not provide as much strength as the primary material used. The change in molecular bond may be negligible then maybe not, hard to tell. If I have the choice I will always pick a product in it's purest form. Like for snowmobile track sliders (hyfax), the white ones are pure UHMW and are usually more expensive and they last longer.

I was at another Best Buy tonight where I saw an SE version on sale for $1,099.99. They had only one left, and I won't say I wasn't tempted due to the price. They also had some black batteries, so I snagged one for $144.49 minus a $10.00 off rewards card. So now, I have a full set of props and a battery. Oh, my wife wanted me to get more black batteries due to the $25.00 saving on each, but I told her I am waiting for the higher capacity battery of the P4P to arrive in stores.

Last edited:
New around here. My wife got me the black version for my bday. Love it, looks nice, but I have a lot to learn. Like I learned that DJI will not offer the DJI care for the black version. But that's ok, I just be careful and suck it up when I crash it someday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

New around here. My wife got me the black version for my bday. Love it, looks nice, but I have a lot to learn. Like I learned that DJI will not offer the DJI care for the black version. But that's ok, I just be careful and suck it up when I crash it someday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You are the first person I've heard that they don't offer DJI care for the model. Is that model "special" other than being a "special edition?" That doesn't make sense to me at all.

Right... Cant say I love the look at that! Each to their own

I wouldnt mind some black props for the storm trooper look on the white P4 :p

Dye your own props. Easy to do. RIT dye (for synthetic textiles). Boil the water, pour in the dye, drop in the props, continue to stir and turn the props until they are the color you want. Let, dry. Then fly. Easy peasy.

I looked but did not find if the Black P4s are a limited time Best Buy only offering.

Sent from my VS995 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: uavflyr
You may have to ask if your local Best Buy has any Black P4's in stock. My local store does not have them on display but they do have them in stock.
I actually just picked up 2 sets of the Black 9450s props from my local BB and was told they were the last ones they had on the warehouse shelves.
e0f8a0cd4f38ecbd90117fc3581312f2.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

UPDATE: 1st flight out of beginner mode with the p4b. It was extremely easy to see at 350' up. I was only about 250' horizontally away, though.

Sent from my XT1254 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I think it's way easier to see a 'Black' Bird rather than a 'White' one, in the Sky. My (it's OK, I own a P4) Typhoon H is far easier to see at any distance, due to it's colour.

I love my typhoon h. I don't know if you are aware but you can lose a couple props and still fly it.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: aermale

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart