Phantom 3pro lost motor mid flight.....total loss

Forgive my noobie ignorance...how can I tell if I have the internal X bracing? I just bought a P3P, and would like to know if mine has it. When was the change implemented and is there date code somewhere on the aircraft?

I think you can put it up against a bright lightbulb and you should be able to see right through the plastic.

I think you can put it up against a bright lightbulb and you should be able to see right through the plastic.

Yes that's the way! The ribs will be darker as they show through the illuminated plastic arms. Kinda like an X Ray of sorts.

Sorry for the loss and the pucker factor it must have induced. DJI HAS to cover this type of catastrophic failure!

I would like to send you a set of the Arm Reinforcements that I make. Once you get the bird warrantied please let me know and I will send you a set to keep you, your family, other people and property safe.

That's how I roll.

Here is a picture in white on my bird. I also can print in a variety of other colors if you desire.

With these mounted your motors aren't going anywhere!

31pQ1hQQvwZBaP7xQVQnyAUCZ7NBlw6mNFCm4M_j9xo
Can you repost picture

This it pretty terrifying. Image a GEnx Turbine Engine coming off a 747-8! :fearscream:

Screen Shot 2016-05-18 at 11.59.59 AM.png

Lets just pray they're not held on by 4 small screws and a piece of "flimsy" plastic.

Reactions: SamNetwork
Sorry for your loss. it's an scary thought what could've happen thinking if it hit someone on the beach. Thanks God no one got hurt. I had my P3P from the first batch of shipment to the US last year. In the first month of having it, been a bit rough flying the AC, until I've seen a lots of people reporting cracks on their motor mounts. since then, I've changed my flying habit to more smoother inputs control, changed my braking setting from 100% down to 85% and routinely check my propeller balance and meticulously checked the arm where the motors are attached and good enough that I don't see any sign of cracking. Just last month, I did a very intensive inspection with the motors and motor mounts, I removed the motor one at a time and pulled them aside to have a good look with the mount on the arm. I've even use magnifying glass to make sure there is NO hairline cracks and fortunately enough I didn't see ONE crack on all of the arm. Although the result of my inspection was all clear, I thought of giving myself a more peace of mind by adding an accessory I've seen people installing in their AC's. And for all the after market add on available for Phantom series, I picked the most make sense add on, which was the CNC'd motor mount reinforcement plates that I got from Amazon. By having a good look the way DJI designed the motor mounts, it don't take much and it will eventually fail and create this catastrophic accidents. BDOG, that's very nice of you my friend to offer such. And for everyone who have the P3 series it is a MUST to have these motor mount reinforcing plates installed on your machines regardless with your flying styles. it is just a PEACE of mind for having it. Happy and safe flying to all!

Wow! That's crazy. And it's totally believable. Looks like the shell can't support the weight of the craft in flight. Everyone should check their arms for stress cracks etc.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

This thread does not make good reading. I am contemplating on buying a P3A but now I am not so sure.

So what happens when a Boeing or Airbus problem is found on one of their aircraft. Correct me if I am wrong, but I assumed that the a/c manufacturer would advise a grounding of that particular model and replace the faulty part free of charge. If I am correct why don't DJI do this with our UAV's?

Car manufacturers recall all models with a faulty part and replace them free of charge. Again, why don't DJI recall all faulty UAV airframes.

Horizon Hobby replaced the Blade 350 QX 'A' faulty propellers with the 'B' type free of charge so why don't DJI do that with the faulty airframes.

We should not have to strengthen our airframes but send them back to DJI for airframe replacement - free of charge.

Come on DJI - do the decent thing and accept the responsibility for your error of poor design resulting in airframe failure and conduct a recall or issue an official advisory of potential airframe failure.

As for someone suggesting that if current rules by the FAA and CAA were followed then it will reduce the chance of someone being injured, true, but consider a UAV was up high and if the motor detachment occurred at 600 feet then the UAV could drift in a 12 knot wind and still impact a head.

I would like to think that DJI would be held responsible since FAA or CAA rules had been followed but its DJI's fault that the UAV hit someone in the first place through airframe failure.

DJI - YOU ARE ACTING IRRESPONSIBLY BY NOT ACTING

Last edited:
Sorry for the loss and the pucker factor it must have induced. DJI HAS to cover this type of catastrophic failure!

I would like to send you a set of the Arm Reinforcements that I make. Once you get the bird warrantied please let me know and I will send you a set to keep you, your family, other people and property safe.

That's how I roll.

Here is a picture in white on my bird. I also can print in a variety of other colors if you desire.

With these mounted your motors aren't going anywhere!

31pQ1hQQvwZBaP7xQVQnyAUCZ7NBlw6mNFCm4M_j9xo

I couldn't open the image but might be interested in buying your product. Would it void the warranty by attaching it. I bought my P3A in December and have had one warranty repair for a main board malfunction and one non-warranty repair after losing a fight with a tree. The problem in the original post does seem to be structural failure and I think DJI owes the customer a new bird. There seems to have been a lot of complaints on motor mounts on the Phantoms. I just did a close inspection of my P3A after reading this.

new style shell with a crack, never crashed and always checked for cracks after each flight. Once this one showed up, I did the plast-aid fill of the arms. The arms are rock solid now with zero flex.
View attachment 53951

Would you please post some close up photos of your best plastic fill job. It would give me a head start on your fill process. I have a P3P with 129 miles of flight and 26 hours of air time. No cracks yet. Thanks.
Joe
KC7GHT

More solutions

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1448520942.486445.jpg
    ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1448520942.486445.jpg
    810 KB · Views: 354
  • phantom subframe_1.jpg
    phantom subframe_1.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 337
Reactions: deltamike
Old and new

Attachments

• 2015-10-04 15.46.44.jpg
    2015-10-04 15.46.44.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 393
  • 2015-10-04 15.48.09.jpg
    2015-10-04 15.48.09.jpg
    453.1 KB · Views: 426
  • 2015-10-04 15.45.34.jpg
    2015-10-04 15.45.34.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 373
  • 16927494-4285-4769-a908-e52121b63561.jpg
    16927494-4285-4769-a908-e52121b63561.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 315
  • 0867e842-54c0-45e0-b0c0-7bc19830c2fa.jpg
    0867e842-54c0-45e0-b0c0-7bc19830c2fa.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 373
So what happens when a Boeing or Airbus problem is found on one of their aircraft. Correct me if I am wrong, but I assumed that the a/c manufacturer would advise a grounding of that particular model and replace the faulty part free of charge. If I am correct why don't DJI do this with our UAV's?
Just a thought: it might have something to do with the 'U' in 'UAV'.

Are your seriously comparing a Phantom craft to an airliner or even a car? Even unmanned ones?
DJI - YOU ARE ACTING IRRESPONSIBLY BY NOT ACTING

Such drama!

But I believe DJI has indeed compensated a lot of people for their first gen P3P defective shells. So what do you mean by (emphasis yours) "NOT ACTING"?

Also, this is not an official DJI forum. You might want to post this on this forum if you want a response.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl