Phantom 3 - the panorama machine

With a DSLR and a proper Pano bracket we normally would have the camera Vertical, which allows a longer focal length and therefore more frames to stitch, really building resolution, but on the drone we are locked into a horizontal format, so 2-3 frames is generally all you need for a pretty wide panorama.
Given that I actually do almost a 50% overlap to really give he software a lot to work with for a seamless stitch. But 30% is pretty much minimum overlap.

DJI_0015-Pano.jpg

You are right 20% is to tight.
For this pano I used 4 images with around a 30% overlap. The viewing angle is almost 230 degrees.
I used LR for the stitching.

Last edited:
Meta4 - Amazing work! If you have some time and would like to share, I would (I'm sure others also) love to learn a bit of your workflow, etc.

Thank you,
Bill

Reactions: BigAl07
Meta4, amazing I agree. What were the camera settings for that nighttime shot?
Meta4 - Amazing work! If you have some time and would like to share, I would (I'm sure others also) love to learn a bit of your workflow, etc.
I tend to keep things simple and usually shoot jpg in auto.
Raw takes way too long for panoramas and the jpg from the P3 is pretty good anyway.
I often shoot AEB brackets to give me a couple of images to choose from for when the exposure varies across the panorama - but this gives you 3-5 times as many images to sort through and can get very confusing.
Then I put the images into a stitching program ( I have several that I use) and add any minor tweaks that might be required in Photoshop.
thanks for the compliments. If you like my panos, check them full screen from my photo website.
There are lots more there.

I tend to keep things simple and usually shoot jpg in auto.
Raw takes way too long for panoramas and the jpg from the P3 is pretty good anyway.
I often shoot AEB brackets to give me a couple of images to choose from for when the exposure varies across the panorama - but this gives you 3-5 times as many images to sort through and can get very confusing.
Then I put the images into a stitching program ( I have several that I use) and add any minor tweaks that might be required in Photoshop.
thanks for the compliments. If you like my panos, check them full screen from my photo website.
There are lots more there.
I already stalked your website :)

Reactions: keepngoal
great work meta! inspiring stuff. Ive tried to take a few panos, but they never come out right when I try stitching them in Adobe Photoshop Elements. I'll continue to practice.

I am so jealous, nothing to film that looks that beautiful in the concrete jungle I call home!

For stitching in Windows you can also use ICE (Image Composite Editor) from Microsoft, and it is Free!

Cool pictures everyone, will try some stitching later. Can anyone tell me if the Go app does AE bracketing by itself? I cant seem to find such option. Or are you guys doing manually?

I'm so jealous of those who are allowed to fly at night. Here we're not allowed to.
I know people here DO, and it's really frustrating when unlicenced pilots just do whatever they feel like, and the licenced ones have to stick by the rules.
I'd so love to take some night time panos of my city, but there's an airport too close, and we can't fly at night, so we bomb out on both rules here :(

What software to stitch these shots together into panoramic?
Adobe also have / had Photoshop Elements....they have stripped a lot of what the pros use in the full programme. I keep version 10... After that Adobe dumbed it down even more for the snapshotter....but it's not expensive and the Panarama function works as you would expect from Its big brother.
It's version 13 or 14 now...I stopped upgrading after v12.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl