Phantom 3 Standard - Stability Issues

Reaction score
When I first flew my P3S, it was pretty stable. Once when it did get a little less stable, drifting and bobbing I performed an IMU Calibration and it was rock solid again. Now it seems no matter how many times I calibrate on a level surface, etc. it still drifts several feet and goes up and down a few feet. I always calibrate the compass and am careful to keep metal, watches, cell phones, etc. away from the P3S when I do.

There also seems to be a new whining noise that I don't recall having when it was new. Changed props twice to be sure it wasn't something the props were causing. Not sure if that is related to the stability and no idea what to do about it anyway. I am going to order the stuff needed to balance the props, but from other posts, this may or may not help.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

blow some air into motors make sure there is no debri in them

When I first flew my P3S, it was pretty stable. Once when it did get a little less stable, drifting and bobbing I performed an IMU Calibration and it was rock solid again. Now it seems no matter how many times I calibrate on a level surface, etc. it still drifts several feet and goes up and down a few feet. I always calibrate the compass and am careful to keep metal, watches, cell phones, etc. away from the P3S when I do.

There also seems to be a new whining noise that I don't recall having when it was new. Changed props twice to be sure it wasn't something the props were causing. Not sure if that is related to the stability and no idea what to do about it anyway. I am going to order the stuff needed to balance the props, but from other posts, this may or may not help.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

I like your idea to check the props,
usually dji oem props are pretty good but unbalanced or after market ones will do that.

good luck and have fun flying!

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

I'm having the same issue as well as a shaking that is visible in my video and night shots. I noticed after the last firmware update. the noise and instability are testing my confidence and i haven't flown too much hoping for a new update.

I though i saw others on here with the same shaking issue but I can't find them now.

I am using genuine DJI props.

I had one of the new-style motors go bad at less than 20 hrs. Check to be sure you can't wiggle the prop tips up and down, as that indicates a bearing problem. Mine exhibited similar issues with control and noise. I ended up buying a replacement (and spares) from Amazon.

Last edited:
I had one of the new-style motors go bad at less than 20 hrs. Check to be sure you can't wiggle the prop tips up and down, as that indicates a bearing problem. Mine exhibited similar issues with control and noise. I ended up buying a replacement (and spares) from Amazon.

I can't seem to feel any play in any of the motors. Thinking maybe hold 3 of the props and spin one up (one at a time) and see if I can find the one that is squealing. Think it would hurt the motors? Not sure how to find it otherwise.

Thanks,

I can't seem to feel any play in any of the motors. Thinking maybe hold 3 of the props and spin one up (one at a time) and see if I can find the one that is squealing. Think it would hurt the motors? Not sure how to find it otherwise.

Thanks,
I don't think you can spin the motors up one at a time. You will get the motor obstructed warning and it will shut down or wont start at all. Do you hear it when it is just idling on the ground? If so then you should be able to determine which one it is. Use a phone to record the sound while running but don't get too close to the bird so you don't get hurt.

I had the same issues after I had a minor crash. I kept trying to fly with the props from the crash. They didn't look damaged but, I Replaced the props with stock DJI props and the erratic flight, in flight video shake all went away. In my experience, it's always the simple things that go wrong...

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I had the same issues after I had a minor crash. I kept trying to fly with the props from the crash. They didn't look damaged but, I Replaced the props with stock DJI props and the erratic flight, in flight video shake all went away. In my experience, it's always the simple things that go wrong...

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I've changed props twice, both new sets.

From walking around and tugging slightly on the P3S while hovering, I think I have determined which motor is "Squealing". Not sure if it is related but it seems to mostly drift in that direction as well, but not 100% sure. Ordered a CW and CCW motor from B&H, and I will replace the most likely motor and see if anything changes. Maybe swap out others if I get no results.

My standard will also fly like that. I've noticed it does it in areas that have heavy interference. I don't know if it is correlated or not. But it's what I've noticed. Mine isn't anything major, maybe a foot in any direction. Just performed another imu calibration last night. Gonna test it today.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm having the same issue as well as a shaking that is visible in my video and night shots. I noticed after the last firmware update. the noise and instability are testing my confidence and i haven't flown too much hoping for a new update.

I though i saw others on here with the same shaking issue but I can't find them now.

I am using genuine DJI props.

I had this oscillation after update firmware. I had to lower the gains to make the oscillation go away. It works, but the quad doesn't hold as well.

I would lower the gains slightly until the oscillation goes away. Who knows why it happens...

and that whining noise discussed happens when oscillation is present.

I had this oscillation after update firmware. I had to lower the gains to make the oscillation go away. It works, but the quad doesn't hold as well.

I would lower the gains slightly until the oscillation goes away. Who knows why it happens...

and that whining noise discussed happens when oscillation is present.
Can you tell us what you set the gains to?

I had the same issues after using counterfeit non OEM DJI props.

I was astounded at the difference when I had replaced with REAL DJI factory props. No amount of compass calibration nor IMU calib. made any difference, nor did changing locations.

Soon as I put the DJI props on, it was a rock steady hover.

Rebuilding a Phantom 3 Standard and put new OEM props. Have the same issue. I have re-calibrated everything. What is the latest update? Is anyone still having this issue?

Have same issue. Have new OEM props. Have re-calibrated and lowered gains. I have the latest update as well. considering reloading.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl