Phantom 3 Standard Remote won't charge out of the box

Reaction score
I just received my phantom 3 standard and out of the box I cannot get the RC unit to charge
If I understand correctly I am just meant to charge it with the included micro USB Cable - one end plugged into the bottom of the RC and the other into any USB charger?
Is that correct or am I doing something dumb.

I have tried with multiple USB cables and multiple wall chargers (apple, android, PC) and with the on off slider in both positions. There is nothing happening.
Neither the larger power light nor any of the 4 smaller LEDs come on, or flash or anything.
The cable seems to fit snuggly in the port

Any ideas?
Thanks!

I own an advanced, not a standard, but at least with my advanced the micro USB port is for diagnostics not charging. There should be a separate charger for the remote I think. My advice, just read the quick start guide.

Hi. When I got mine, I had no lights - I only get them if I turn it on when charging. The charger I use is from my mobile phone and any sub cable. Think the charger is 2 milli amps.

How long have you left it connected?
Any lights at all? There is a single one and four to the right?

Msweet - advanced is different - but thanks!
PHB1969 - yes single and 4 to the right - none of them on at all - been charging about an hour. Will leave overnight. Do you charge with on off slider on or off? or does it not matter?

Manual says that green light should blink when charging - it doesn't :(
quick start says it should take 2.5 hours at 1.6 amp - no sign yet :(

I tend to turn it on, I have never had the lights when it was turned off. Good luck and hope you get airborne soon :)

I just received my phantom 3 standard and out of the box I cannot get the RC unit to charge
If I understand correctly I am just meant to charge it with the included micro USB Cable - one end plugged into the bottom of the RC and the other into any USB charger?
Is that correct or am I doing something dumb.

I have tried with multiple USB cables and multiple wall chargers (apple, android, PC) and with the on off slider in both positions. There is nothing happening.
Neither the larger power light nor any of the 4 smaller LEDs come on, or flash or anything.
The cable seems to fit snuggly in the port

Any ideas?
Thanks!

No lights will show when attempting to charge if the controller is fully charged. What happens when you try to power the transmitter on when not connected to a power source?

It sounds like a defective controller, unfortunately. There's really no wrong way to charge it---plug the micro end into the controller, plug the standard USB end into a wall wart/phone charger/PC or laptop and it should do something.

You've obviously exhausted due diligence with multiple chargers and cords, so it must be a bum transmitter IMO. Maybe somebody else will have better advice, but I'd contact the seller and either return the entire unit or at least request a new controller.

Is this a new bird or used/refurbished? Did you use an authorized dealer? Does the bird look scuffed or dirty?

Thanks ccbdav - I fear you are right.
It was out of the box new from Amazon - will have to contact them and DJI US customer service

I regret not buying from Amazon due to the amazing return policy (I bought directly from DJI to get the education discount).

Were I you and had purchased directly from Amazon or a "Fulfilled by Amazon" authorized seller, I'd just send the whole thing back and buy it again from another authorized seller after the refund. It will probably be a little bit cheaper in a few days anyway with the way Amazon's pricing algorithm works!

Please don't take my suggestion as word. There may be something we're both missing. It seems unlikely DJI would ship a completely dead controller, but it does happen. Either way, you don't have to explain yourself to Amazon or DJI (or a 3rd party seller), though. Just request a refund and stipulate the product is defective.

you are correct - I am on the phone with Amazon right now. They will ship a replacement and then I ship the defective unit back. I bought a package of Phantom, a large case and a spare battery.
It seems silly they have to ship the whole thing again for just one part in one component of the bundle - but that is what they will do and they pay for the shipping!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl