Phantom 3 Standard range mod , let's do it together...

Hi all, been on here lurking for a while but decided to sign up. I have just updated my drone to to the new firmware 1.7.90 and ran papatita'a magic mod V5.1.

It may or may not be important to mention that I forgot to remove the mod before doing the FW update.

Anyway, with all this said, I can confirm that this mod now does not work ok this firmware. It gets stuck on the initial step where it says "RC ready"

I know it's early days, but is this likely to get an update for this FW?

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe H
I'm not well versed in the underpinnings of what makes the P3 operate, but I have a decent grasp of Linux, which is what runs this ship (so to speak). The mod logs into the OS architecture as a root user, this in Linux land is the highest level of access one could need.

If all DJI have done is remove the root user from reading any directories aside from the one you drop into when you log-in there should be 2 ways around this. We already know the directories as they wont have changed locations from the previous firmware's, we could either use something like "sudo chown -R $USER: /path/to/folder/" and then maybe "chmod -R u+wr /path/to/folder/ "to take ownership of the folder we need, make the changes necessary and then revert permissions (if that step is even required), OR, DJI must have another user on the system with read and write access to this folder, but I don't know if that could be sniffed out somehow.

Granted, its no longer as simple as "log in, make changes, log out, done" but its not impossible.

On a side note, why would DJI do this??? Sure, they have an obligation to ensure the devices they sell cannot perform outside of the rules and regulations for the location in which they will operate, but out of the box, these drones don't do that, and its took considerable effort to bypass this. So what do DJI care? If anyone is likely to fall foul, its the drone operator for modifying a piece of hardware to operate with a higher power then legal, not DJI. Really aggravates me when a manufacturer thinks they still retain some sort of ownership on a product YOU as the consumer purchase.

Last edited:
I'm not well versed in the underpinnings of what makes the P3 operate, but I have a decent grasp of Linux, which is what runs this ship (so to speak). The mod logs into the OS architecture as a root user, this in Linux land is the highest level of access one could need.

If all DJI have done is remove the root user from reading any directories aside from the one you drop into when you log-in there should be 2 ways around this. We already know the directories as they wont have changed locations from the previous firmware's, we could either use something like "sudo chown -R $USER: /path/to/folder/" and then maybe "chmod -R u+wr /path/to/folder/ "to take ownership of the folder we need, make the changes necessary and then revert permissions (if that step is even required), OR, DJI must have another user on the system with read and write access to this folder, but I don't know if that could be sniffed out somehow.

Granted, its no longer as simple as "log in, make changes, log out, done" but its not impossible.

On a side note, why would DJI do this??? Sure, they have an obligation to ensure the devices they sell cannot perform outside of the rules and regulations for the location in which they will operate, but out of the box, these drones don't do that, and its took considerable effort to bypass this. So what do DJI care? If anyone is likely to fall foul, its the drone operator for modifying a piece of hardware to operate with a higher power then legal, not DJI. Really aggravates me when a manufacturer thinks they still retain some sort of ownership on a product YOU as the consumer purchase.

DJI don't want to be held responsible when it all goes pear shaped.......They may face product liability action........Lots of people will try to blame the manufacturer when it all goes bad for them. Just my thoughts

Yes my friend, a company around the corner is just waiting for me to come over and borrow their equipment - I don't know what part of world you're living in but this is not happening here in capitalist Ireland.

Just received first sum for the meter. Thank You very much Declan (Dublin).

If I send an rf meter then you take PayPal?

Yes my friend, a company around the corner is just waiting for me to come over and borrow their equipment - I don't know what part of world you're living in but this is not happening here in capitalist Ireland.

Just received first sum for the meter. Thank You very much Declan (Dublin).

If I send an rf meter then you take PayPal?

Thanks for the info guys. The WiFi settings appear useful extending range.

*** In return, I share key information about the 5.8ghz RC Uplink and the P3S' internal 2.4ghz WiFi Repeater Module. ***

Far more than just raw Drag Strip Type, Down and Back, Deep Downrange Flying; doing something practically useful with extended radio link range capability contributes to our mutual interests and progresses the evolution of the technology ecosystem.

Solving issues related to deep down range radio link performance and especially hard to reach or penetrate locations is an interesting endeavor. (such as around corners or over hills or buildings.)

These four drone systems are essentially the same from a radio hardware (and functional) architectural perspective:
  • Phantom 3 Standard - P3S
  • Phantom 3 4K - P3 4K
  • Phantom 2 Vision+ - P2V+
  • Phantom 2 Vision - P2V
Note: The P3S simply moved the WiFi Repeater Module inside the controller. It's possible to remove the P3S' internal WiFi module and mount it outside and completely separate it from the controller; rendering it in effect just like the P2V+.

Special
Note: The P3 4K's internal WiFI Module is not removable since the engineers this time tighter integrated the 2.4ghz WiFi repeater circuit onto the controllers main board. Too bad for us !

Observation: Here we are in the latter part of the second decade of the 21st century and RC controllers STILL tightly combine the Operator Control Hardware (ie joysticks and switches) with the Radio Link Hardware (ie the transmitter and antenna). That means the human is both the operator and radio control tower. (the next extension of that logic is to mount a lightning rod ontop our heads.)

Military Drones: Have you ever heard of long range military drone operators standing outside ? They are thousands miles away which means the Radio Link Hardware is always detached from the Operator Control Hardware.

The four drones listed above use the same radio scheme as shown below:
(there are subtle protocol differences; hence the controllers are not compatible between the P3S and P2V+)
  • 2.4ghz WiFi - Video / Telemetry Downlink <-- standard WiFi protocol with a few added non-published schemes. Note: The P3S' internal WiFi Module is easily removed since it is held in place via a two row pin socket strip and a small piece of double sticky foam. (Power and pin-out information is available.) It is powered using 3.3VDC. For the most part, it does the same exact function as the P2V+' wifi module; of course engineers like to change things so the P3S' wifi module is not compatible with the P2V+.
  • 5.8ghz RC - Control Uplink <-- A Packet based frequency hopping scheme using FSK modulation. The in-air bit rate is 1mbs. Packets contain a Control and Payload section. The Control section contains a unique address based on the serial number of your drones controller; not the drone itself. The Payload section is fixed width (up to 32 bytes) and also encoded with a 16 bit CRC. The Payload section contains joystick and switch position information. The controller transmits Packets are blindly repeated ~143 packets per second. The controller is transmit only and the drone is receive only. The 5.8ghz radio hardware does not support two-way communications (ie they are not transceivers). If a few Packets get through per second to the drone then controlled flight is maintained. Else, the drone times out and executes an RTH (Return To Home).
========================================================================

I'd like to share (for free) as much as I can "without" the perception of promoting a specific Vendor product.

To fly out of (or in to) places that are completely impossible for all other drone solutions; that seems to be a core and mutual objective for many of us.

Firstly: Like the majority on this forum, I have a passion for our hobby-interest-sport-venture.
Secondly: I started a small UAV business venture; trying hard to make happen on a very tight budget. (trying to post on this forum separately as a Basic Member and also as a would-be Vendor has produced a few random warnings or censorship notices... which I respect and want to avoid. It's confusing and prone to subjective interpretation.)

*** I'd like to share more of my experiences as a Basic Member on this forum; and... not intended as directly promoting a specific Vendor product.

> EXAMPLE VIDEO LINK < change the resolution gear-looking setting icon to 720p or better
This video demonstrates combining multiple third party Vendor products. What emerges is a unique niche-solution that no other drone system can come close to achieving (as of this date). (ie ... a solution equipped with 3 axis motion stabilized HD realtime color video downlink.)

*** In order to openly share more as a Basic Member, I'll attempt to remove specific text and graphics embedded in certain videos in hope that it makes it OK to publish and portray as "Vendor Agnostic".

At this point, I'd rather just be granted and switched back to a Basic Member than labeled and tracked as a Vendor.​

What is this nonsense

Magic Power v5.2
Support the latest firmware (1.7.9)
Download: http://bit.ly/p3magic
1479314972139-png.68822

Sent from my MI MAX using PhantomPilots mobile app

Guys, about this 1.7.9 update, I understand it makes exploring the files in the RC/bird a bit more difficult but not impossible.

Now I am on 1.6.8 with the power mod in place: telnet activated in djiled.sh both RC & bird and a modified boost.sh (to fit my needs) inside the RC which changes power both RC and bird (along with some checks...)

If I do the upgrade to 1.7.9 now, will it replace the djiled.sh files ? Will I lose telnet ? Does it wipe any homemade scripts like boost.sh in the RC ?

If anyone has tried, please let me know, otherwise I'll play around with it this weekend...

Guys, about this 1.7.9 update, I understand it makes exploring the files in the RC/bird a bit more difficult but not impossible.

Now I am on 1.6.8 with the power mod in place: telnet activated in djiled.sh both RC & bird and a modified boost.sh (to fit my needs) inside the RC which changes power both RC and bird (along with some checks...)

If I do the upgrade to 1.7.9 now, will it replace the djiled.sh files ? Will I lose telnet ? Does it wipe any homemade scripts like boost.sh in the RC ?

If anyone has tried, please let me know, otherwise I'll play around with it this weekend...

I believe updating the firmware will remove any additional shell scripts you uploaded, so best to save them elsewhere first.

To re-enable telnet with 1.7.9, you need to do a manual FTP "put" to overwrite the default djiled.sh to include the command to start the tenet daemon.

I believe updating the firmware will remove any additional shell scripts you uploaded, so best to save them elsewhere first.

To re-enable telnet with 1.7.9, you need to do a manual FTP "put" to overwrite the default djiled.sh to include the command to start the tenet daemon.

Crap, I'm not versed in FTP commands... Can it be done via filezilla ? Or do I need shell commands ?

I don't know FileZilla so can't comment. I use a Mac so just used ftp via the command line. If you use Windows the Magic Power mod has been updated to work with the latest firmware.

Right. I'll have to dig into command lines then; I am a big fan of Papatita's work and everything he's done for the community but I don't like using stuff I don't fully understand...

Anyways, thanks for the reply !

Thank you but I want to laugh out loud.
Soon ...
View attachment 69292

Papatita I assure you I did not mean any offense ! I am truly grateful for your work and all the help you provided. I don't question your tool in any way, I am convinced that it has provided plenty of people here with a comprehensive, safe and easy to use solution.

It's more a question of me being a bit OCD and wanting to do everything by myself... In the end I might even use your code but not before I understand it :]

Again, sorry if you perceived my comment as negative on your part, it's the contrary, I am a big fan !

Papatita I assure you I did not mean any offense ! I am truly grateful for your work and all the help you provided. I don't question your tool in any way, I am convinced that it has provided plenty of people here with a comprehensive, safe and easy to use solution.

It's more a question of me being a bit OCD and wanting to do everything by myself... In the end I might even use your code but not before I understand it :]

Again, sorry if you perceived my comment as negative on your part, it's the contrary, I am a big fan !
Take it easy and no need to worry about it.

Reactions: JeyTea and PsiFoX

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl