Phantom 3 Standard comes tomorrow! How to not crash on day 1...

Reaction score
Any advice on what not to do in the first 15 minutes. I'm excited to fly but hoping to play it safe and figure out what I'm doing without wrecking it the first day. What are the biggest pitfalls for noobs on day 1?

Mine is coming next week and it is my honest understanding that you really can't mess up if you understand what you're doing

don't hit auto land will over something

set rth high enough so don't hit anything on way back have mine on 70 meters

and don't due a csc which is put sticks all the way to bottom and inward motors will stop in flight

Reactions: p2clink
most important have fun

Open space with not a tree or building in sight. Put it up to 50ft right away

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Don't fly it indoors. When I first got my P3 I thought it would be safer to try hovering indoors where there would be no wind. In hind sight that was the worst idea. The room never felt smaller. And don't use auto take off. If the gps signal is weak or nonexistent it might make erratic moves.

One more thing. Never panick. As long as you are in p mode with a good gps signal, just let go of the controls if you panick. The phantom should just stop and hover in place while you get your mind back. It depends on the situation but in general I think letting go of the controls is probably safer than a panicked newbie trying to correct a wrong manouver by tilting the sticks all over the place in a frenzy.

and also don't panic when you do use rth and it goes up to a certain altitude before landing but if your bird is close enough it won't go up it will fly to the original take off point and should land with in a few feet

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Fly the simulator in the DJI app a few times. Get used to the controls and using the map to know your location and heading. You'll find it's super easy to fly & control.

Two things to remember rth is in meters not feet it does not change even if you change it in the settings,second dont fly it far .when i first got my standard i changed it to Imperial and put my rth altitude to 100 feet like i said rth is in meters not feet so when i flew out of range @2964' in line of sight a speck mind you i hit rth looked down at my range on phone my bird was actually flying further from me because it flew up 375 ft which was what the rth setting was at,and things just went south from there. long story short i went home with a Empty case and to a less ecstatic wife.But hey i got a professional now and have my rth set @35 meters. Happy flying

Never do a CSC after landing to turn off the motors. There's a good chance of tipping. Turn off by holding the throttle stick down for 3 seconds. CSC is for Mid-air emergency stopping. Protect your motors by never taking off or land in sand/dirt/debris. Hand catching is a good skill to have in your back pocket.

Reactions: Buzz rabbit
Go and practice on a v911 4 channel helicopter first, they are cheap and controls are the same.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Fly (at least initially) with your eyes. WATCH THE BIRD AS YOU DO BASIC MANEUVERS. Resist the temptation to stare at the monitor screen too much.

Make a checklist, some things to have on the List.... take off gimball guard BEFORE turning on aircraft...
ALWAYS set the home point......
Dont be in a rush, dont try to squeeze your 1st flight in during a 30 minute lunch break...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl