Phantom 3 Standard comes tomorrow! How to not crash on day 1...

As a retired Singapore Airline 747 Captain, My advice is
Lesson 1. Read flight manual and digest completely.
Lesson 2. Learn lesson 1 well. [emoji928]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Squirrel!
If you have to crash do what I did with my P3 4K. Fly backwards into a tree with lots of leaves at low altitude. It fell to the ground with the only damage being a green coloring on the props and my pride!

If you have to crash do what I did with my P3 4K. Fly backwards into a tree with lots of leaves at low altitude. It fell to the ground with the only damage being a green coloring on the props and my pride!
Why did you have to crash?

I was at an odd angle and I guess my depth perception was off. It looked like I had plenty of room to stop but I waited too long. Remember, I'm a big time newbie, 2nd flight

Fly in an area as clear as possible and take it slow, most mistakes are caused by people being over ambitious. Auto take off and land a few times to get confidence that it works, don't fly out of sight. It's worth testing the RTH function as well to give you a bit of confidence that if the signals lost or you get disorientated you know you can rely on it. I remember the first time I lost video and signal and it seemed an age waiting for it to return, but it did.

As mentioned, set the RTH altitude higher than any possible surrounding structures. Upon taking off, even with a gps lock, it can wander quite a lot. Gain experience in a wide open field. Upon takeoff ascend quickly away from structures (and people!) and let it hover for a bit until it stabilizes.

I agree with making first flight in a big, open field with no trees, no poles, no wires, etc.. lots of open space.

And dont update the firmware! Ignore the update banner when you start the go app.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.