Phantom 3 STANDARD antenna upgrade

It would be good if dbs could post some videos of an install for the p3s and video results, after all it is present for all other versions, why is the p3s kit being treated as an afterthought! I understand it should be pretty much the same as a p2v but it's not the point, if you are making money then put the effort in, if i can't find a way to verify what I am buying I am considering cancelling my order. ...

yeah its a bit disappointing but not conclusive yet. so no jumping to any conclusions and i will do my due dilligence to work through it.

As for DBS not providing a video tutorial. Whilst its always handy to have a video, its also should be recongnised / accepted by the modder (not the seller) that if they dont know what they are doing, they probably shouldnt be doing it. The reality of the situation is that you are opening your controller, removing the stock antenna's and putting in new ones. Its pretty stock standard but i do understand why you want a tutorial.

I will go to a location that i know i have flown at previously with both the DBSMod and the standard antenna's and post results. (wont be for another week though). its fairly simple to be able to swap them in and out on the fly :)

For a reference do we know what range we should expect if the DBSMod is faulty (and i mean that in a good way so i can rule out that the controller is performing correctly but the mod is faulty). Eg if the antenna is faulty u should theoretically get X Mtrs?

Reactions: clivek_77
For a reference do we know what range we should expect if the DBSMod is faulty (and i mean that in a good way so i can rule out that the controller is performing correctly but the mod is faulty). Eg if the antenna is faulty u should theoretically get X Mtrs?

Stock is advertised around 3,300', but I've only been able to see 1,500' in a heavily populated area. With the DBS in the same area, I can cleanly reach 4500' and have gone as far as 6,800'.. I would say that if you cannot go farther than 300' then something is wrong..

Way back in the itelte thread in P2V+ section awhile back some folks were having some distance issue's and what they found out then was some were just finger tighten the cables on real good . Well that wasn't good enough and said to put the wrench to them . I have ever since and just haven't gave that any thought to tell anyone that was having issue's . Now I put mine on where I can't take them loose with my fingers .
I don't know how tight you guy's are putting them on but just thought I would throw it out here .
Might help some ..might not .

Reactions: Santiego
Don't get me wrong dbs do a great job! My intention is as feedback as it doesn't need much to be done to stop it being off putting to others. I just found that the information as a whole on the p3s is lacking slightly. I now understand how to do it, and if you do you can see how the p2v is similar. But I had to get that information from other sources. I think it was just not suitable for me in the end as I'm buying it all new,if I already owned a p3s then I'd go for it I guess.

Instead I think it makes much more sense if you can stretch to a p3a if you're Modding it from new.

Way back in the itelte thread in P2V+ section awhile back some folks were having some distance issue's and what they found out then was some were just finger tighten the cables on real good . Well that wasn't good enough and said to put the wrench to them . I have ever since and just haven't gave that any thought to tell anyone that was having issue's . Now I put mine on where I can't take them loose with my fingers .
I don't know how tight you guy's are putting them on but just thought I would throw it out here .
Might help some ..might not .
thanks dirk - i must admit mine were on tight, but only finger tight. the impression i was getting was a lose connection so this may be a result of the tightening (or lack there of)

i will wrench it up good and really get them on VERY tightly for the testing to see if there is any improvement and report back.

unfortunately its supposably raining here all week (sydney australia) so there doesnt seem to be any flying happening soon.

in addition - inclusive of anyone who wants to contribute too, IF i have either received a faulty DBSMod or broken my controller through doing the mod, would you expect a complete lack of ability for the control of the drone? or are the antennas themselves fairly resilient to still fly even under degraded conditions

Let me say this Dave. In the long thread on this panel since DBS came out with it and did follow it and this is my second one I have never heard of a bad panel till this Standard section started .Not saying their not sending out some bad ones now just that I have never heard of any till now .
Same with bad TX's .
I'm seeing stuff in here I have never seen reported before . DJI must have really got slack with all these reports of bad units .
As far as the tightening of those connecters it was a surprise to me as I wasn't having any issues when I read about that but did start using a wrench and was surprised how much more they would tighten . I really think it was DBS that said to do that but not sure now .
The only way to mess up doing the mod is if you mess up with the 3 connecter's unless you just are rough and pull something else loose in the TX .
I did not like the less insulated cables and did replace them as soon as I could get some in . I mean look at them cables.JPG Is easy to tell which will contain more signal and felt the same way about the external long ones . Their to long in my opinion so I have changed that to see
if that would give me more distance to these IMG_1640.JPG .Now I just got these on yesterday and like you at the moment and have webs growing between my toes because of the rain and can't get out to see if they have helped any or not .I did sneak 1 flight in but only for 1100' before I came back but was strong the whole way but the other's where too at that distance .
Why DBS has chimed in here I don't know but gonna pester him till he does to tell us what he thinks might be going on .
As far as losing control of you bird if ether do fail ....TX or Antenna ... I **** sure hope the bird would do as it's suppose to do and go into RTH and do that .
All this is just IMO and has came from messing with these for over a year . This Standard is totally different and sure at some point we will work all this out .
I have done all I can to this TX I can and am now about to see just what can be done to the bird itself .We are trying to make this into something it's not . Is why I got it instead of an Adv . I do like my screwdriver :)
Before it's over I might be liking my hammer :eek:

Reactions: J Dot
Can you link to those cables please. Have a link to the internal cables? Those look, feel wimpie.
I got the blue ones here and got the 4" but you can order what you want . Take's a little while to get them from here but I had time
SMA male to RP-SMA male both right angle RF lot RG402 Semi Flexible blue Cable
The thicker insulated internal one's I got from The FPVLR site and sure you can get them other places I just don't know where thou .
Have always just used Tony as I use his antennas also . Their not high but shipping is 10 bucks and is fast . Shipping as much as cables :)
Now ..all I just said in my other post is just MO but has worked for me and would hope it did for others .
Tony's..Cables & Connectors

Reactions: Santiego and J Dot
Thanks man, I'm in no hurry, haven't maxed out factory yet, going to install after I get more flight time. Dam weather hasn't been very friendly.

Thanks man, I'm in no hurry, haven't maxed out factory yet, going to install after I get more flight time. Dam weather hasn't been very friendly.
Same here the last week . Has stopped raining some but has got the after rain winds :rolleyes:

Reactions: J Dot
The AMAZING Dirk,
Strikes again! Good show old friend!
If you gonna do it, he is the ONE to talk to! He ain't scared to rip into something and improve the HELL out of it! A+

J Dot

you are a legend :D
Thanks Dave :)
A legend in my own mind ;)
Like everyone else here now with this P3 I have just been here longer is all .
I am a noob with this P3
**** app is gonna be the death of me .

Reactions: Scott Gibson
Thanks Dave :)
A legend in my own mind ;)
Like everyone else here now with this P3 I have just been here longer is all .
I am a noob with this P3
**** app is gonna be the death of me .
Hi mate ok so i have done some test flights today after work.

I have tightened (the living **** out of) the connectors and have made sure that there is no opportunity for it to come loose in any degree.

I did a test flight and got "somewhat further" i reached upto 250mtrs from my take off point, but the attached photo was of the point where i lost my first "bar" of reception on the "fan" reception (i believe this is 2.4ghz antenna).

As you can see from the map i went a little further previously, to test jittering of the video feed back, but wanted to venture back out to identify where the first bit of reception dropped.

--------------------

I then brought my drone back and removed the DBSMod and re-installed my original antennas and was getting very poor performance as of about 50mtrs and by 100, i had no reception at all. I had to walk towards it fly it quickly home and land it. i didnt even bother taking a photo of that.

As for DBSMod - its clearly making a difference and its much better than the antenna, but i have a feeling that i may have screwed up along the way. I have a very understanding wife, and i have actually purchased another remote control - which i will be modding again (yes i know - i just dont learn). However i am going to be super careful (even more so) that before.

It pains me as i know my original remote didnt have issues but im trying again :)

Attachments

• IMG_2175.jpg
    IMG_2175.jpg
    344.6 KB · Views: 367
Something is not right there Dave that's for sure . What makes you think you messed up the TX ?
I'm still learning this app and always changing something just to test the range and have found out some do way better than others .
Don't know if maybe it's some of that with other issues but you should be doing way better than that .
Test that new TX good before you do anything else to be sure it's good .
I'm in FCC but I got 6,600 ' with just stock antenna .Didn't do it but 1 time but added the panel after that .
Messing up stuff is how I learned to mess with these things . I have messed up a lot . :oops:

thanks mate,
yep thats what is puzzling me, but its ok - you live and learn. My controller prior to modding was getting ~400 mtrs (approx 1,300ft) without dropping signal or stuttering.

im now getting less than half with the mod, and then returning it back to its original antenna's getting about 1/4 of its original :( - so it appears to be controller related as thats the constant. If with the original antenna's installed i got my original distance back - it would point towards the mod, but in this case it doesnt appear so.

just my thoughts of why its playing up and hopefully in the next week or 2 i will get another attempt :) at worst its only - another controller ;)

Reactions: dirkclod
thanks mate,
yep thats what is puzzling me, but its ok - you live and learn. My controller prior to modding was getting ~400 mtrs (approx 1,300ft) without dropping signal or stuttering.

im now getting less than half with the mod, and then returning it back to its original antenna's getting about 1/4 of its original :( - so it appears to be controller related as thats the constant. If with the original antenna's installed i got my original distance back - it would point towards the mod, but in this case it doesnt appear so.

just my thoughts of why its playing up and hopefully in the next week or 2 i will get another attempt :) at worst its only - another controller ;)

Are you losing FPV or RC signal? And are you triggering the RTH?

If it's choppy FPV, try to enable hardware decode in the DJI app..

Are you losing FPV or RC signal? And are you triggering the RTH?

If it's choppy FPV, try to enable hardware decode in the DJI app..
thanks for the reply mate - this is due to playing around with the antennas and not really a config issue it seems.

The hardware decoding is on but its not the cause unfortunately :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub