Phantom 3 pro vs. mavic

Reaction score
hi all, there is a lot of discussion about Phantom 4's vs. The Mavic but I would love to hear your views on P3 Pro vs Mavic. I am a relative "newbie" to drones although love flying & videoing (see vid here as an example https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxp7pYbZDSc )

I am about go on holiday to the Madives as a once in a lifetime trip. I have pre-ordered the Mavic but was wondering whether or not it would be a big leap up in quality? It may not even arrive in time, I am leaving on 6th November and am in the U.K.. I'd love to hear your thoughts. Many thanks in advance. Graham

was wondering whether or not it would be a big leap up in quality?
Are you referring to camera quality? Build quality? Etc.

Are you referring to camera quality? Build quality? Etc.
Hmm good question msinger. I guess everything! If I am about to splash out another £1000, is it worth it? Flightest review looked amazing but I have only flown about 30 times and don't know if I can justify the upgrade. Difficult to answer I guess as a lot depends on skill, but would the video quality be noticeably better than a P3 pro? Many thanks

The camera quality is nearly the same between the P3, P4, and Mavic. The major differences are that the Mavic camera requires the focus to be manually set on each flight and it has a narrower field of view. Check out this video for a comparison:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

As for the build quality, nobody really knows how the Mavic compares yet. As people start to use them and crash them, we'll see how they hold up.

The camera quality is nearly the same between the P3, P4, and Mavic. The major differences are that the Mavic camera requires the focus to be manually set on each flight and it has a narrower field of view. Check out this video for a comparison:

As for the build quality, nobody really knows how the Mavic compares yet. As people start to use them and crash them, we'll see how they hold up.

On durability, Austin, with FlightTest, answered a question in the comments of the FlightTest review with the following response :
"I can speak to a couple of those: (1) I crashed it in a pretty significant way... and it was fine except for some chipped props. I thought the props were plenty durable considering the crash. (2) According to DJI, they tested 10,000+ pivots of the arms. Well beyond the lifetime of the product. (3) Phone holding clip - it's hard to say without just owning it for a long time. It's more of a rubber friction fit then a clip. Probably makes it last longer in the end. -Austin"

Reactions: gglass
For point #2 above, the DJI Mavic FAQ shows DJI tested the arms for 5,000 folds. Either way, it's likely more folds than anyone will ever do.

Aside from the portability factor & some new modes your P3 Pro remains a perfectly capable bird. I suspect P3s & P4s will continue flying, recording, & photographing great shots for many years.

hi all, there is a lot of discussion about Phantom 4's vs. The Mavic but I would love to hear your views on P3 Pro vs Mavic. I am a relative "newbie" to drones although love flying & videoing (see vid here as an example https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxp7pYbZDSc )

I am about go on holiday to the Madives as a once in a lifetime trip. I have pre-ordered the Mavic but was wondering whether or not it would be a big leap up in quality? It may not even arrive in time, I am leaving on 6th November and am in the U.K.. I'd love to hear your thoughts. Many thanks in advance. Graham

Last edited:
Aside from the portability factor & some new modes your P3 Pro remains a perfectly capable bird. I suspect P3s & P42 will continue flying, recording, & photographing great shots for many years.
Absolutely agree, DB!

A couple of weeks ago we were arrending an outdoor wedding, and the photographer was using a Phantom Vision. No stabilized gimbal, but he still got his shots. ;)

There are a few videos on the net that compare the Mavic to the P4 in video and the P4 is noticeably better. Stills like the video about may be a closer comparison. But video looks pretty soft on the Mavic. Is it crap? Nope it is still pretty nice but if I were going on a once in a lifetime trip I would like to capture it the best I could which portability could play a big roll on a trip so the Mavic could be the winner either way?

Go to 7:38sec to skip to the video compare.

Last edited:
There are a few videos on the net that compare the Mavic to the P4 in video and the P4 is noticeably better. Stills like the video about may be a closer comparison. But video looks pretty soft on the Mavic. Is it crap? Nope it is still pretty nice but if I were going on a once in a lifetime trip I would like to capture it the best I could which portability could play a big roll on a trip so the Mavic could be the winner either way?

Go to 7:38sec to skip to the video compare. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw4jDjYnR0U

Your YouTube link appears to be broken.

Reactions: RC Madman

I guess you are late to the party. Casey didn't tap to focus the Mavic. New video from Flitetest, shows perfect comparison.

This is the comment in the description of the video you posted: "Published on Sep 29, 2016UPDATE!!! MAVIC REQUIRES A TAP TO FOCUS VS. THE PHANTOMS AUTOFOCUS. THIS EXPLAINS THE SOFTER IMAGE. I WAS USING THE DRONE IMPROPERLY. THIS IS MY MISTAKE NOT THE DRONE. CHECKOUT ONE OF MY MORE RECENT EPISODES TO SEE IN-FOCUS SHARP IMAGES.
... PS - MAVIC IS (since the moment i first used it) MY ALL TIME FAVORITE DRONE"

Several other YouTube reviewers also did not know you had to set the focus on the Mavic and their reviews were soft/out of focus as well. There are many reviews posted since then that show the Mavics image quality is very close to the Phantom 4. The biggest difference between the two appears to be the narrower field of view on the Mavic, which some actually prefer.

A better comparison and a more thorough review of the Mavics camera can be found on FlightTest's recent review (go to 6:00).

Thanks for the links and correction. I guess I needed a update from just 2 weeks ago. Ha. Good to hear it is looking to everything many of us are hoping it will be.

Reactions: Butterpuff 6
Anyone have a link to the video of the Flighttest team doing the comparison? That video above did not have anything compared.

Do you have to tap the screen each time you need to focus or is there a auto feature?

Anyone have a link to the video of the Flighttest team doing the comparison? That video above did not have anything compared.

Do you have to tap the screen each time you need to focus or is there a auto feature?
You can assign it to one of the c1 or c2 buttons

Aside from the portability factor & some new modes your P3 Pro remains a perfectly capable bird. I suspect P3s & P4s will continue flying, recording, & photographing great shots for many years.
Don't forget Ocusync and Obstacle Avoidance.

I think if you own a P3A/Standard or less and haven't crashed then I think you can justify an upgrade. As for a P3Pro, it makes a little harder to justify as it has the 4K camera. You can still achieve what the Mavic does with the P3Pro.

My P3A is 18mths old now. Its still a solid bird and i cant fault it and i dont need 4K. I do however need the small footprint and less obvious-as-fk cumbersome controller.

And don't feel bad. There seems to be a lot of friction with P4 users who have only had their birds for around 6 months or less.

Last edited:
Reactions: gglass and auen1

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan