Phantom 3 crashed into the ocean

I've bought every generation of Phantoms so far, and am happy to say I still own them.
I never bought one for any reason other than to take a few very specific photos and some video, and then come home.
I've never planned one out that would require more than 12 minutes total.
I sometimes get the shots and have plenty of time left, but I keep the bird well in sight.
For those who are in it for distance and altitude records ... thanks for the research and testing.

WTF.. 7.7Km? Wow. I get blue balls when I lose site of her and that's only 300-400mtrs.
Its good that you tested over water. If it crashed then you would have minimised the chances of hurting someone. When I first saw Helipal test p3 distance, s/he flew it over water and I was gobsmacked thinking why?? Now I realised they preferred to lose a quad then to hurt someone.

Just buy another. Think of it as losing an inspire... but at 1/3rd of the cost.

You can find my answer in my signature.

You simply don't know what you have until you know it's limits. That goes for anything. The only thing I never pushed to see if it's limits were true or not was in 1999 when I bought a suzuki hayabusa that was suppose to go 196mph off the showroom floor. There was no way I was going to try that one on the street. I did then add a turbo in which it then had 650hp. I did race it at the drag strip until I sold it. The bike with a street tire on the back ran 7.04 @ 202mph in the 1/4 mile.

Ok so know that you have learned a lesson on taking your quad's abilities for granted, go get another one before you get too depressed over it.

Sorry for your loss. I appreciate you sharing your incident with us, as I am certain that many might share the experience of being in your shoes and wanting to push the limits just a little more.

Thanks for sharing the story. Sorry about the phantom. Pilot "error", yeah, but meh. It'll pass.
I never fly mine so far, too scary. ;)

After just about two weeks spent with my phantom 3 the unthinkable happened. I had flown it on a daily basis since the day of delivery (except from one or two days with rainy weather) and at all those occasions I had done it on a location in my neighborhood. On several of these performed flights I had tried to maximize the distance it could reach but I rarely reached past the 2 km mark, which of course anyway is a good and acceptable distance.

However, this past weekend I would spend on a location which I in advance found very suitable for flying. Near the shore, with a bunch of opportunities to catch some real good footage with boats and overall the nice environment. After some good flights and when I started to feel confident about the surroundings I got a feel to perform a flight at nighttime. It was completely dark outside and it was really cool to see the green and red lights blinking in the sky. As there wasn’t much to catch on camera at this time of the day I decided to bring it as far as possible out over the ocean. I waited for the signal to be broken but it never happened, it just kept flying further and further away and now after watching the logs I can see that it got as far out as 7, 7 km away from the transmitter.

When finally deciding to return (without a loss of signal) at 60 % battery level, the problems started. As the speed on the way back showed to be a couple of m/s lower than on the way from the start off point I started to get a bad feeling about the returning at an early stage. At two occasions on the way back I lost signal for a couple of seconds, which of course led to additional stress, other than that the pilot app also crashed at one occasion and the ipad did a whole reboot which never had happened before until that time. Anyway, on the last remaining, perhaps 20 % of the battery I knew that it wouldn’t reach all the way home. Instead I tried to control it to the nearest edge of the shore I had visual onscreen but even that attempt was futile. As I never before really had drained the battery I didn’t know that it lost percentage at a much higher rate in the end of every cycle. Unaware of that at that point I got really frustrated when the like 10 last percent lasted for just 1, 5 minutes. At the exact moment it reached 1 % my screen got black and I had a hard time to believe what really had happened.

After watching the logs the day after, I saw that it was just a 100 meters from reaching the shore and this increased the frustration inside me even more. Me and a few friends went out with a boat to the approximate spot which where it’s last known gps position and supposedly the location where it should have crashed into the water. As it still was about 100 meters from land it was impossible to even visually see the bottom and at that moment I didn’t see a point in keeping up the search, it was just to start realizing that the phantom was gone forever.

Now, a few days after this event I can’t blame no one other than me for the outcome of that flight. There wasn’t any type of wrong with my unit or anything like that, it was just a complete idiot move by the pilot, me in this case .I ignored the return to home warning and I flew it way too far. At this moment I’m just pissed and disappointed at myself because under the 2 weeks I had it, it gave me a lot of joy and happiness and some amazing moments caught on tape. I can genuinely say that the phantom 3 is an amazing drone.

I didn’t write this to get sympathy of any kind, I just wanted to share my story with the intuition that it could be of any use to all of you phantompilots out there, who might not now make the same mistake as I did.

Also, I would like to ask the persons who might have had a similar experience with a crashed phantom, did you buy a new unit afterwards?I mean, it´s an amazing machine but for me, at this moment it´s more of a financial matter. All the accessories I had plans to buy, or even had ordered, such as an extra battery, case and hdmi board will in a scenario where I buy a new unit be impossible to fund for me at this time.

Would it still be worth, without out all the accessories which many people see as a matter of course? Give me your opinions!

/An 18 year old boy who recently lost his dearest toy

I do not believe you. First of all you do not have any posts here. The second - your post is way tooo long. The third - there is no pain in that post. Probably - you are 3DR guy.

Me too not getting the distance thing. If you want distance there are better machines, as early as 2003 somebody flew a fixed wing rc plane from Canada to Ireland, so 3 or 5 or 7 miles is hardly worth bragging about.

Reactions: bobomet
I lost my P2v2 to fly away last winter. After that I vowed never to buy another.

Then the P3 came out and I bought one but this time I bought a GPS tracker (Trackimo).

It's not a 100% guarantee but it gives me a little piece of mind when flying it longer distances (over land that is).

I think once you crash ... The bird would be damaged beyond repair.. I dont understand why the need of a tracker... . .?

After just about two weeks spent with my phantom 3 the unthinkable happened. I had flown it on a daily basis since the day of delivery (except from one or two days with rainy weather) and at all those occasions I had done it on a location in my neighborhood. On several of these performed flights I had tried to maximize the distance it could reach but I rarely reached past the 2 km mark, which of course anyway is a good and acceptable distance.

However, this past weekend I would spend on a location which I in advance found very suitable for flying. Near the shore, with a bunch of opportunities to catch some real good footage with boats and overall the nice environment. After some good flights and when I started to feel confident about the surroundings I got a feel to perform a flight at nighttime. It was completely dark outside and it was really cool to see the green and red lights blinking in the sky. As there wasn’t much to catch on camera at this time of the day I decided to bring it as far as possible out over the ocean. I waited for the signal to be broken but it never happened, it just kept flying further and further away and now after watching the logs I can see that it got as far out as 7, 7 km away from the transmitter.

When finally deciding to return (without a loss of signal) at 60 % battery level, the problems started. As the speed on the way back showed to be a couple of m/s lower than on the way from the start off point I started to get a bad feeling about the returning at an early stage. At two occasions on the way back I lost signal for a couple of seconds, which of course led to additional stress, other than that the pilot app also crashed at one occasion and the ipad did a whole reboot which never had happened before until that time. Anyway, on the last remaining, perhaps 20 % of the battery I knew that it wouldn’t reach all the way home. Instead I tried to control it to the nearest edge of the shore I had visual onscreen but even that attempt was futile. As I never before really had drained the battery I didn’t know that it lost percentage at a much higher rate in the end of every cycle. Unaware of that at that point I got really frustrated when the like 10 last percent lasted for just 1, 5 minutes. At the exact moment it reached 1 % my screen got black and I had a hard time to believe what really had happened.

After watching the logs the day after, I saw that it was just a 100 meters from reaching the shore and this increased the frustration inside me even more. Me and a few friends went out with a boat to the approximate spot which where it’s last known gps position and supposedly the location where it should have crashed into the water. As it still was about 100 meters from land it was impossible to even visually see the bottom and at that moment I didn’t see a point in keeping up the search, it was just to start realizing that the phantom was gone forever.

Now, a few days after this event I can’t blame no one other than me for the outcome of that flight. There wasn’t any type of wrong with my unit or anything like that, it was just a complete idiot move by the pilot, me in this case .I ignored the return to home warning and I flew it way too far. At this moment I’m just pissed and disappointed at myself because under the 2 weeks I had it, it gave me a lot of joy and happiness and some amazing moments caught on tape. I can genuinely say that the phantom 3 is an amazing drone.

I didn’t write this to get sympathy of any kind, I just wanted to share my story with the intuition that it could be of any use to all of you phantompilots out there, who might not now make the same mistake as I did.

Also, I would like to ask the persons who might have had a similar experience with a crashed phantom, did you buy a new unit afterwards?I mean, it´s an amazing machine but for me, at this moment it´s more of a financial matter. All the accessories I had plans to buy, or even had ordered, such as an extra battery, case and hdmi board will in a scenario where I buy a new unit be impossible to fund for me at this time.

Would it still be worth, without out all the accessories which many people see as a matter of course? Give me your opinions!

/An 18 year old boy who recently lost his dearest toy

****!! What were you thinking??!! It does say about a one mile range, you fly it out over the ocean, and at night and let it keep going? yes I am an actual private pilot, there is something about winds. Obviously you had a strong tail wind going out, and then you turned it to come in, and it probably was trying to fly full speed, but not moving much going into the wind. Be thankful at least you werent in a real aircraft flying at night running out of gas and having to ditch.
Thats ok dont feel bad, I f flew mine into some trees on the lake behind my house, about 2 weeks ago. seems the thing lost signal for a few seconds and I flew it into the branches, and it fell into the water about 6 ft deep. Havent been able to recover it yet. Have you found out if DJI will sell a replacement only copter? I finally got a reply back after a week, and they said yea, return the controller (I guess to verify I really bought it) and they would sell me a new one at 30% discount, or almost $900. ok they are pricing it as a replacement for same price you can buy the whole kit. I think this is a rip off because obviously people crash these all the time, but your controller and battery charger, didnt go into the drink!
Just next time I would recommend going out into open country not over water, and preferably flat land, to do these endurance tests, but Im sure youcve thought of that by now! lol. That way if it doesnt make it all the way back to your feet, then at least it will autoland when it hits 5-10% and hopefully in a flat area you can recover it.
When I first got it and got on this site I read similar stories, one guy summed it up best:
"This is not a hobby for the squeamish" lol...

Buy another. It's only money. You can always make more. It's the reality of the situation - there are lots of other "accidents" in life that are much more difficult to correct. Great job describing the incident.

Btw, I've been interested in acquiring a second remote. Start a conversation with me if you're looking to sell yours.
I did the same thing.... I have remote and charger, seems they only sell the whole thing. I posted a new thread about why wont they sell a replacement copter only, since obviously the controller and charger didnt go into the water..

Was the first one gifted to you or did you save up and buy the P3? That's an expensive purchase for an 18 year old. At least it would have been for me at that age. I make a decent living and am 29 years old, I could afford to buy another one if something happened but it would eat me up inside knowing it was completely my fault and I took an unnecessary risk.

Maybe I just don't have the balls but I am always nervous about losing my asset when I'm flying it around. I haven't got nearly as far as you have. Thanks for sharing your story, I'm not trying to bash you at all.

I'm sorry for your loss. RIP DjiAdam P3...

I **** bricks every time I fly mine and I have never taken it even 1/4km away, if you're willing to get up to these types of shenanigans you must be able to afford to lose a lot of money - Adam

I **** bricks every time I fly mine and I have never taken it even 1/4km away, if you're willing to get up to these types of shenanigans you must be able to afford to lose a lot of money - Adam
I used to think like that, but when the quad is a mile away it's exactly the same as if it's in top of your head. If something goes wrong there's not much salvaged. Fly with confidence. You can fly openly 20 feet up and total it if that's in the cards.

Reactions: BenDronePilot

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl