Phantom 3 Advanced vs Samsung Tab A

Reaction score
I recently bought a Phantom 3 Advanced and have been learning to operate using my Samsung S5 connected to the controller. Because of the image size I decided to upgrade to a tablet and in my wisdom (or lack of it) I purchased a Samsung Tab A. Both the S5 and Tab A have the same Android 6.0.1 operating system. They both have the same DJI Go app. The first time I used the tablet was indoors and it worked perfectly. A couple of days later I went out to practice follow me mode. The screen showed blank except for some status indicators that could not be altered. The app did not recognize the drone. The camera button only showed for the Inspire. I uninstalled the app and tried again, tweaked a few things on the tablet, like USB debug and made sure the MTP protocol was activated. I got it to work but it displayed compass needed calibration. That action completed all seemed well until I turned it off. Next time it was back to square 1. DJI help say that because my Tablet is not on the 'approved list' there is no guarantee that it will work. If I substitute my phone at any time it works perfectly.
Throughout all this I can still operate the drone but get no feedback to the tablet. Can anyone please advise about a possible remedy short of buying another tablet?

Last edited:
The Samsung Tab A is on the low end performance-wise, but most people seem to have an okay experience when using the Samsung Tab A (2016) model. If you do not have the 2016 model, then you should take DJI's advice and get a tablet from this list.

My tablet is a Jan 2017 model running Android 6.0.1_0034 . I would have thought it to be suitable but I must admit I was focusing on the Android being later than 4.1.2

I also have a galaxy tab A and a phantom 3 advanced. To get it to connect I just have to keep changing the USB settings until it finally connects.before connecting your USB cable go into developer options and changing the USB setting to Ethernet then after the radio and drone are booted up and connected to each other then connect the USB,this way has been working for me but you have to change the USB setting every time before you fly. Once connected the tablet works great for the phantoms

Reactions: Delsman

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl