Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Phantom 3 adv crashed - need your help please

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by varona, Aug 24, 2016.

1. varona

Hello all,
    In April this year I purchased a new phantom 3 advanced .Earlier this weak, while I was flying the drone near my home (where I usually fly it), the drone suddenly crashed.
    The crash happened approximately 90 seconds after takeoff. Before the crash happened the screen showed "bad compass error" notification and I wasn't able to control it from that point.
    There was no reason for the drone to crash (it didn’t hit anything and it happened during a normal flight under my house with no unusual elements or interruptions).
    I found the drone, and from what it looks like there is nothing left to save.
    Before every take off i check that the prop are sitting tight, and i let the drone hoover a few seconds next to me to see that everything OK.
    I tried to upload the Flight file to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/, but for some reason the phantom help site just gives a blank page.
    I attached the Flight log file here, and also added a link to healthydrones.
    HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
    I have to say that i am really sad right now because of what happened, but one thing i can say for sure that i don't want to leave this hobby because of that.

Attached Files:

2. Northern Observer

Purchased new in April, your unit is still under warranty, but just. Get a service ticket registered ASAP with DJI.

Ted4797 likes this.
  3. Ted4797

4. Oso

Oso

Bad news about the crash. I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we all feel bad for you.

My first thoughts are that it sounds very much like an example of doing a compass calibration in a bad area (magnetically influenced), and then having major compass/flight issues once the P3 has left the area with the magnetic influence. I am not saying that this was your issue, just what it sounds like based on your description.

Did you happen to do a compass calibration or check your compass values just before this flight? From what I can tell, the area of your lift off does not appear at first glance to be a bad area but I have no way if knowing if you did a compass calibration there or did one elsewhere.

JoBe likes this.
  5. Multicoptertec

Were all the props still attached after the crash?

Oso likes this.
  6. varona

Thank you for your help. no, the compass status was OK, no need to do compass calibration because its the same area that i always fly my drone.
    And you right about the area.

Oso likes this.
  7. WetDog

Firmware versions of everything?

8. Tenly

Do you have video caching turned on? If so, there should be a video file on your iPhone in one of the subdirectories at the same level as your flightrecords folder (connect to iTunes). If so - as painful as it might be to relive the last few minutes of flight. It might be useful to post it so we can all see what the phantom was doing before/during/after the compass error.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

9. varona

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

10. varona

Everything update to the Latest firmware

11. varona

Video caching turned off.

12. Multicoptertec

So, you lost a prop? Was it anywhere near the bird?

13. varona

It was dark as heck so i didn't try to look for it. do You think this is the cause for the crash ?

14. Multicoptertec

If there was a prop missing, and not within a yard or two of the crash, yes, I do. Did you ever find that prop?

Oso likes this.
  15. varona

I will go try too look for it tomorrow morning.

16. WetDog

Uh oh. Carbon fiber props. Again.....

17. WetDog

It's always possible that you lost a prop - which might cause a compass error as the bird goes bonkers. We have seen a couple ** highly anecdotal ** crashes of a similar sort with CF props. They are more brittle. I originally thought that was a feature, rather than a bug (takes impact energy off the rest of the aircraft) but I'm not so sure. I would, however, assume that if the prop failed the hub would still be there but perhaps the hub failed.

Anybody have a chance to look through the log? I can't do that at present, that's were most of the non anecdotal data will be found.

18. Lifted Chevy

If that prop is not near the crash location it's more then likely the cause. Either hub failure or it was not on tight enough.

19. JoeCarey

OK clue me in. I have CF props on my P3P. Is this an issue? What do I need to know? Not familiar with any negatives around CF props. What am I missing?

20. Bluebouye

Depends on the build quality but I've heard plenty of stories of them failing mid flight plus if you ever get struck by one your going to know about it. I'd personally stay well clear of them.

burma419, Pharm and Lifted Chevy like this.