Phantom 2 won't lift off...

Reaction score
Hi.

I was recently given a phantom 2, when a videographer updated his drone fleet. I've flown it a number of times, never crashing per se, but have broken a few props by tipping upon landing. It has always performed well.

A couple weeks ago after not having it out for a few weeks, I went to fly it, and although the props spin, it won't generate lift enough to get off the ground.

Batteries are fully charged

I have calibrated the transmitter with RC assistant numerous times.

I have recalibrated the IMU numerous times with Phantom Assistant software.

I am using NAZA, tried switching to Phantom mode no help there. Switched back.

I am in mode 2, have tried to togglethat back and forth between mode 1 and 2, with no effect to the issue.

Props are all spinning correct directions, (per airfoil design) , match the case rotation-direction arrows. The case had not been opened. I did mark its orientation for the next step...

I pulled the case apart and looked for loose wires /connections, cracked solder joints, and visibly fried components on the 'speed control' boards near each of the motors. Unable to find any obvious issues. I replaced case in original orientation.

I reinstalled the current software in computers, then in the drone.

Each flight attempt was preceeded by 'DJI dance' (compass orientation)

I tried giving the Pantom gentle 'thumps" in different orientations in case accelerometer was stuck.

One thing I was unsure of.......I was unable to get NAZA M software to connect directly to the drone (no indicator lights lit on software dashboard lower right corner). The Pantom Assistant software says NAZA M is installed (via pop up box, and also by allowing me to switch to NAZA mode). Switching NAZA M 'off' on Phantom Assistant software had no effect on the problem. And, with NAZA 'on' all appropriate settings are available.

I certainly would appreciate any help in getting this resolved!! Spring is comming, and fun projects await!

Thanks

Dave

When you say it won't generate enough lift to get off the ground, do you mean the motors speed won't increase, or the motors increase and it still won't lift off?

Could it have gotten switched to "simulator" mode?

Hi.

I was recently given a phantom 2, when a videographer updated his drone fleet. I've flown it a number of times, never crashing per se, but have broken a few props by tipping upon landing. It has always performed well.

A couple weeks ago after not having it out for a few weeks, I went to fly it, and although the props spin, it won't generate lift enough to get off the ground.

Batteries are fully charged

I have calibrated the transmitter with RC assistant numerous times.

I have recalibrated the IMU numerous times with Phantom Assistant software.

I am using NAZA, tried switching to Phantom mode no help there. Switched back.

I am in mode 2, have tried to togglethat back and forth between mode 1 and 2, with no effect to the issue.

Props are all spinning correct directions, (per airfoil design) , match the case rotation-direction arrows. The case had not been opened. I did mark its orientation for the next step...

I pulled the case apart and looked for loose wires /connections, cracked solder joints, and visibly fried components on the 'speed control' boards near each of the motors. Unable to find any obvious issues. I replaced case in original orientation.

I reinstalled the current software in computers, then in the drone.

Each flight attempt was preceeded by 'DJI dance' (compass orientation)

I tried giving the Pantom gentle 'thumps" in different orientations in case accelerometer was stuck.

One thing I was unsure of.......I was unable to get NAZA M software to connect directly to the drone (no indicator lights lit on software dashboard lower right corner). The Pantom Assistant software says NAZA M is installed (via pop up box, and also by allowing me to switch to NAZA mode). Switching NAZA M 'off' on Phantom Assistant software had no effect on the problem. And, with NAZA 'on' all appropriate settings are available.

I certainly would appreciate any help in getting this resolved!! Spring is comming, and fun projects await!

Thanks

Dave

Dave you've mentioned breaking a few props in tipping over. Were the replacement props original DJI or aftermarket? Also you said the batteries were fully charged but have you ever checked the current levels of those batteries nor have you mentioned the per percentage of battery life left. I would say more information is needed before any one can be of help.

On a side note: As Jason Mentioned, you said you broke the props from tipping over upon landing. I'm going to assume that is because you powered down the motors by using CSC - (pulling both sticks down and in). Even though that procedure is in the manual, it shouldn't be there! Never shut down the motors that way. Just hold the left stick down for 3 seconds to shut them down after you've landed.

Reactions: 3dsnow
When you say it won't generate enough lift to get off the ground, do you mean the motors speed won't increase, or the motors increase and it still won't lift off?

Could it have gotten switched to "simulator" mode?

Hi Great Lakes,

Thanks for your reply. I need to look up simulator mode. My impression is that motor speed doesnt increase enough to lift off...

Dave

On a side note: As Jason Mentioned, you said you broke the props from tipping over upon landing. I'm going to assume that is because you powered down the motors by using CSC - (pulling both sticks down and in). Even though that procedure is in the manual, it shouldn't be there! Never shut down the motors that way. Just hold the left stick down for 3 seconds to shut them down after you've landed.

Got ya.

Dave you've mentioned breaking a few props in tipping over. Were the replacement props original DJI or aftermarket? Also you said the batteries were fully charged but have you ever checked the current levels of those batteries nor have you mentioned the per percentage of battery life left. I would say more information is needed before any one can be of help.

Hi Jason,

Replacement props are DJI. I will check current level on phantom app battery tab. I tried 2 batteries, one of which has only 3-4 charge cycles on it. My recollection is that charge was well over 70%.

Thanks a bunch for your response. It has been a very frustrating issue!

Dave

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl