Phantom 2 Vision + (Plus) Coming in April

...great idea. The weak point (rather than the "innovation point") of the PV2 Vision is the camera...any "hard" landing will take it out and it is expensive at $499 to replace. Assuming that it survives will usually mean that any movement through its gimbal will be severely limited or jumpy.... replacing it instead like you have done is a great idea.

So I wouldn't hold my breath till April and the PV2 Vision+ arrives but rather get on with ideas such as this.....

I'm very happy I found this forum because I'm really torn about buying the + version versus the phantom two with the 3d gimbal. I already have a go pro 3 black which has many more options for shooting video in different farm rates and resolutions which I love. There are two downsides I have been struggling with the go pro set up:

1. I can't take still photos while in the air. I essentially start video, fly, and that's what I get. Am I missing something or can you switch modes of the go pro while flying?

2. I have been researching what additional parts I need to get FPV WHILE USING A GO PRO but it seems like a lot of parts, work, and additional expense. Should anyone mind sharing their set up with a go pro usimg the gimble and all the parts needed such as the transmitters, interfaces, monitors, etc so I can really price out what I need? It would be a huge help as I'd like to utilize my current go pro as I know the quality video from it and the details seem sparse on actually how good the new camera is on the new plus model. I did find a great IPS monitor with a built in transmitter from a company for under $200 and seems to be highly regarded but it all gets a bit confusing.

I also think that the one thing the new plus version has on the old phantom two is the extension of the range in which the video is received. Thoughts? Thanks again for appeasing a noob.

azsean said:
...I'm really torn about buying the + version versus the phantom two with the 3d gimbal. I already have a go pro 3 black...

2. I have been researching what additional parts I need to get FPV WHILE USING A GO PRO but it seems like a lot of parts, work, and additional expense. Should anyone mind sharing their set up with a go pro usimg the gimble and all the parts needed such as the transmitters, interfaces, monitors, etc so I can really price out what I need? It would be a huge help as I'd like to utilize my current go pro as I know the quality video from it and the details seem sparse on actually how good the new camera is on the new plus model. I did find a great IPS monitor with a built in transmitter from a company for under $200 and seems to be highly regarded but it all gets a bit confusing.

***I'm in the same boat - I am I leaning towards P2 (Non Vision) not only because I already have a GoPro Black, but because the GoPro 4 is bound to be coming end of year, which should (naturally) be better resolution/framerate, smaller, lighter, etc. Vision will not be upgradable as easily as popping in the next GP camera or whatever else comes along that can be shoehorned onto the gimbal.

There's certainly out-of-the box ready to fly FPV setups for the P2 that seem reasonable to just plug the GP cameras we already own into, such as:

http://www.flying-hobby.com/phantom-2-w ... 12766.html

...which would be more "future proof" upgradewise on the camera end of things.

I mean, I'd take a Vision+ for it's ease and all in one solution - it's brilliant that way to leverage existing smartphones and the like with everything you need for recreational flying, FPV, web-broadcast filming, etc. - but if you want an unhindered path to better video, skip a proprietary camera solution and stick with a gimbaled P2. I know I'm going to need better video soon and will feel limited, especially when the new GoPro comes out.

That's where I'm at right now, I guess.

I put in an order yesterday for the Phantom 2 with H3-3D. Like you, I like the ability to upgrade the camera when it comes out. The future upgrade option is nice to have. Plus, when researching the support/warranty or lack thereof by DJI, I didn't want to have to depend on them for one of their proprietary products, i.e. camera. I found a newer shop that is DJI authorized and they support the product for a year and to some extent, have a buy back program. Considering DJI released a significant upgrade to the Vision only 4 months later, this might be a good benefit. I had the chance to speak to them over the phone, I was comfortable ordering from them even though they are newer to the business. I was going to purchase it through B&H but with them being closed until 4/23, I was impatient and couldn't wait!!! I have a need for it sooner and thought it was a good idea. Now, to figure out what my FPV setup will be!!!

swtc said:
azsean said:
...I'm really torn about buying the + version versus the phantom two with the 3d gimbal. I already have a go pro 3 black...

***I'm in the same boat - I am I leaning towards P2 (Non Vision) not only because I already have a GoPro Black, but because the GoPro 4 is bound to be coming end of year, which should (naturally) be better resolution/framerate, smaller, lighter, etc. Vision will not be upgradable as easily as popping in the next GP camera or whatever else comes along that can be shoehorned onto the gimbal.

There's certainly out-of-the box ready to fly FPV setups for the P2 that seem reasonable to just plug the GP cameras we already own into, such as:

http://www.flying-hobby.com/phantom-2-w ... 12766.html

...which would be more "future proof" upgradewise on the camera end of things.

I mean, I'd take a Vision+ for it's ease and all in one solution - it's brilliant that way to leverage existing smartphones and the like with everything you need for recreational flying, FPV, web-broadcast filming, etc. - but if you want an unhindered path to better video, skip a proprietary camera solution and stick with a gimbaled P2. I know I'm going to need better video soon and will feel limited, especially when the new GoPro comes out.

That's where I'm at right now, I guess.

Well, to go the other way...

I ordered the P2V+. I'm excited and can't wait for it to come. That said, there were definitely some other solutions out there.

I got into this hobby by purchasing a FC40 for my 13 year old son's birthday. He wanted a Parrot AR, and after some research, the FC40 seemed to completely out perform the Parrot, for very little extra $$. I fell in love with the dang thing, but my son loves it too, so I figured I had to get myself one too.

What made me choose the P2V+ over the P2 with a gimbal? Its an all in one solution that will do everything I need it to do. That FC40 takes some cool shots, but the FPV ability cuts out at 100-200 feet away and the shake without a gimbal prevents some cooler shots from coming out. I'm no pro photographer, and I don't think super-resolution of my videos is really warranted. All my action videos, shot with a contour HD camera, are relegated to occasional viewing on YouTube or my computer. I don't have a big audience. I'm blown away with 720p on the FC40 on my 70 inch Plasma.... its good, could be better. 60FPS @1080p would be great, but I don't need it. When you factor in range extenders, mod antennas, and GoPro camera, the P2V+ just seemed to be a great product a significant discount. I may give up the ability to upgrade much, until of course, 3 months from now when there are 200 YouTube videos on how to swap the camera anyway.

So its an out-of-the-box, 25 min flight time, 2000 foot range, gimbaled, High-Def camera that flys @30 mph and is capable of crazy high altitudes (can't wait to drop it down the grand canyon). I don't have to add, change or tinker with a thing, just fly. That's why I bought it. I will not be quitting my job to become a cinematographer, I don't believe its safe to fly FPV out of line of sight or over 400 feet AGL, and the resolution is good enough for me. To those with aspirations of being a pro, or to the hobbiest tinkerer - maybe a P2 with gimbal is the way to go.

I totally get where you are coming from! When they announced the original vision, I was intrigued and wanted it but I had to realize that for me, I had to really research what my main purpose for it was to justify the purchase. Then they released the vision+ and I was even more confused.
Since I already have a GoPro Hero3 Black, I figured I would go the extra mile and utilize it. If I didn't already have that, I would most likely have purchased he Vision+. Already having the camera, I am right around $100 more for the Phantom 2 and FPV setup, not including the cost of the camera I already own. What is great about the Vision+ is that for most people, it will do more than they need it to, out of the box solution ready to fly. It is nice we have options that fit all of our needs!

DrJoe said:
Well, to go the other way...

I ordered the P2V+. I'm excited and can't wait for it to come. That said, there were definitely some other solutions out there.

I got into this hobby by purchasing a FC40 for my 13 year old son's birthday. He wanted a Parrot AR, and after some research, the FC40 seemed to completely out perform the Parrot, for very little extra $$. I fell in love with the dang thing, but my son loves it too, so I figured I had to get myself one too.

What made me choose the P2V+ over the P2 with a gimbal? Its an all in one solution that will do everything I need it to do. That FC40 takes some cool shots, but the FPV ability cuts out at 100-200 feet away and the shake without a gimbal prevents some cooler shots from coming out. I'm no pro photographer, and I don't think super-resolution of my videos is really warranted. All my action videos, shot with a contour HD camera, are relegated to occasional viewing on YouTube or my computer. I don't have a big audience. I'm blown away with 720p on the FC40 on my 70 inch Plasma.... its good, could be better. 60FPS @1080p would be great, but I don't need it. When you factor in range extenders, mod antennas, and GoPro camera, the P2V+ just seemed to be a great product a significant discount. I may give up the ability to upgrade much, until of course, 3 months from now when there are 200 YouTube videos on how to swap the camera anyway.

So its an out-of-the-box, 25 min flight time, 2000 foot range, gimbaled, High-Def camera that flys @30 mph and is capable of crazy high altitudes (can't wait to drop it down the grand canyon). I don't have to add, change or tinker with a thing, just fly. That's why I bought it. I will not be quitting my job to become a cinematographer, I don't believe its safe to fly FPV out of line of sight or over 400 feet AGL, and the resolution is good enough for me. To those with aspirations of being a pro, or to the hobbiest tinkerer - maybe a P2 with gimbal is the way to go.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl