Phantom 2 goes crazy after new Props 9443 R

Reaction score
We have had our Phantom 2 with Zenmuse gimbal for about three weeks. We have had many successful flights and captured some great video as complete newbies. We decided to order some new props and order online from Amazon and got these new generic 9443 R props (supposedly Nylon). The first flight with new props and the Quad went nuts. First it went into hover no problems, then shot up to about 15 feet and started acting very erratic. It would not respond properly and acted as though it had interference with signals. Finally it crashed. Props didn't even have a nick. Tried several more flights while trying to hold on with complete GPS signals and this thing is acting crazy. We replaced the propellers with the Original DJI 9443 and everything is back to normal and works great again. WHY? Anybody else experienced this problems?

The props I order say O-XOXO on one blade and 9443 R on the other blade of Each Prop. They look identical to DJI otherwise.

Vibration from being out of balance. Throw them in the trash and learn from your experience..... jmo.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Does anybody have any better advice. I flew RC long before there was Quads and we were always able to balance props for the best performance. From what I've read, if you have unbalanced props you get vibration and 'bad video', NOT an out-of-control quad that goes goes crazy. I can see how the IMU could get out sync with enough vibrations. Has anyone else experienced something similar? Is this possibly the reason for all the fly-aways that were reported by early Phantom users?

AmosMoses said:
Vibration from being out of balance. Throw them in the trash and learn from your experience..... jmo.

He is correct...the out of balance props are causing what you describe. However, I have found that they can be balanced and used but it takes some effort; I add weight to the light ones by using clear fingernail polish rather than sanding the heavy ones. After they are balanced, they fly just as good as the originals IMHO.

blakeavant said:
From what I've read, if you have unbalanced props you get vibration and 'bad video', NOT an out-of-control quad that goes goes crazy.
[/quote]

I've had those same unbalanced props and my craft wouldn't even get off the ground without tipping over. Getting them close on a Dubro made a night an day difference. I still went back to DJI props as they are more rigid and the XOXOs made the craft really squirrely in the wind and when descending. DJIs also seem to be more balanced out of the box, and they're not much more expensive. If you're burning through a lot of props, get prop-guards.

Lately, I've been noticing my P2V+ rolling slightly right. Thinking that it may have been time for new props, I replaced all four with a brand new set of 9443R's. Today should have been an ideal flying day. Clear visibility and <5 mph wind. Not so, however.

On three separate occasions at three different locations, I took off and the phantom seemed as if there was something wrong with the controller (I just upgraded my controller to the newer version with the gimbal tilt wheel...calibrated it, calibrated the P2V+ yesterday). I would take off, and the bird insisted on drifting backwards (10 feet quite quickly). Using the right stick to pitch and roll the bird in the direction I wanted it to go eventually worked but the responsiveness was terrible and all the while I was trying to steer it with the right stick, it kept gaining altitude. So naturally, I assumed something was wrong either with the controller or the IMU. After recalibrating the IMU (even though all numbers were in-range) I decided to look, again, at the props. I noticed that the brand new ones I had put on didn't have the DJI logo on them. A google search turned up this thread and the problem described sounds very similar to what I experienced today.

In my searches, I also found people who suggested allowing the phantom to adjust to ambient temperature? My car was warm but it was pretty cold today (20's?) so maybe that also played in? Not sure... Anyone have any info on that?

I put the original DJI props back on tonight and am going to take it up tomorrow and see if I'm still experiencing the same issues and will repost.

UPDATE: Well, I'm very happy to report that all of the unpredictability of the Phantom's flight seems to have been connected to unbalanced props. I took it up today three times in three different locations and it flew completely stable. Held it's position extremely well, nice stable hovers, smooth movement & great responsiveness.

So, for those of you experiencing erratic behavior after changing props, check to make sure they're balanced! If not, balance them or stick with DJI branded props.

Hope this helps!

blakeavant said:
Does anybody have any better advice. I flew RC long before there was Quads and we were always able to balance props for the best performance. From what I've read, if you have unbalanced props you get vibration and 'bad video', NOT an out-of-control quad that goes goes crazy. I can see how the IMU could get out sync with enough vibrations. Has anyone else experienced something similar? Is this possibly the reason for all the fly-aways that were reported by early Phantom users?

AmosMoses said:

Send me your address and postage and I'll send you a set. :lol: The problem with those o-xoxo 9443R props is that they to thin and flexible. Sure I've used them because one they were $12 cheaper than the originals but what a mistake that was.

Holy Mackerel!!!

STAY AWAY FROM CHEAP KNOCKOFFS!!

I made the same mistake. I even thought it must have been something electronic, or interference. These knock off's are absolute $hit. Stay away.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl