Phantom 2 flyways

Big Ben said:
Tell them you already bought another one. You could suggest they reimburse you the discount in the form of a few extra free batteries.

Hmmm. I might try that.

RogerClark said:
What replacement drone did you buy?

Did you get another Phantom or go to an open source or another closed source drone.

I got another P2 (non-vision). I haven't tried out many others. I was tempted by the 3DR Iris. And tempted to do a DIY one. But I really just want to spend my time making videos and not soldering components.

If this one acts funny though. That is it. For sure. So far. So good.

Thanks ghinson

I"d looked at the 3DR Iris as well, before I bought the my Phantom 2, but didn't think it looked that good, mainly because it was more expensive and the camera mounted to the front didn't seem that versatile, and the Phantom was a bit cheaper.

In hindsight (as I've now had to but a new Futaba RC, as my DJI one packed up almost immediately), I suspect I'd have been better off buying a DJI FlameWheel 450 or even Flamewheel 550 (kit), plus Futaba etc and doing some soldering to end up with a better more repliable platform, at marginally increased cost.

But that's hindsight for you ;-)

OK. End of story on my fly-away. No remediation. No explanation of policy. Sympathy offer of 30% of purchase of new unit, directly through them only, and not applicable to accessories.

"We're sooooo sorry."

Not sure what to think.

They didn't go for the free batteries?

OK. Plan B.

Take them up on their offer for a 30% discount. That is at least 30% off the lowest price any retailer sells it for? Ask them where you would have to ship it to if there ever would be a warranty claim. If that's an acceptable warranty procedure for the person on this forum who wants to buy a Phantom at 10% discount you can at least keep the remaining 20% and he gets a brand new Phantom "New in box" for a better price than he can buy it for in any shop.

I like how you think.

But. To get their discount, I also have to pack up my remaining accessories, controller, leftover props, and charger, and send it all to them to get their discount.

Not worth it.

One thing I would gladly return to them, however, is the little pack of business cards they want me to carry around with me and give out to anyone that inquires about the device.

ghinson said:
One thing I would gladly return to them, however, is the little pack of business cards they want me to carry around with me and give out to anyone that inquires about the device.
You know... you actually SHOULD do that. With a short note with a few well chosen words telling them why you return them.

The problem in ghinson's case is that there are way too many people whose flyaways or crashes are their own fault and they all go rushing to DJI claiming it was a "defect". If DJI were to pay out on every supposed "defect" the Phantom would likely be twice the price.

As a business owner myself in a totally unrelated field, 9 of 10 products I get back that the customer claims was "defective", had the snot beaten out of them in use. And in ghinson's case he doesn't even have the product to return.

The other thing the bugs me is I've watched a billion (just a wee bit of exaggeration) Phantom youtube video's. I've seen so many crashes from rapid descent "rotorwash", people flying into things, unproven add-on's like carbon fiber props or prop guards. and various other mods. Not to mention how many of these people even know how to update their firmware or make sure they acquire GPS lock. Let's also not forget the accidental flip of the CL/HL or GPS/ATTI switches during flight. I sure wouldn't want to be DJI haven't to sort through which complaints are valid and which aren't.

My favorite video today was someone complaining how their Phantom wouldn't start. He couldn't understand when he throttled up why the motors wouldn't start and was contemplating returning the Phantom to the dealer as defective. Never bothered to learn that you have to simultaneously move both sticks. OH boy.....

Oh sure. Many things I see or read are very cringeworthy. But I'm looking at the whole treatment here. If they offer some compensation in the form of a 30% discount they shouldn't 'punish' that customer for the fact he already *loyally* bought another one and then basically withdraw any form of compensation. That doesn't exactly shout 'class'. My suggestion for a couple of batteries seems a fair and logical alternative. It's disappointing they apparently didn't want to offer such an alternative compensation. THAT does not instill the desire to drum up new customers by giving them DJI business cards. That's something DJI should understand a bit better than they now seem to do. Hence my support for the signal that giving back those cards would send.

I agree with you there. Some batteries would have been a nice gesture. I was just trying to point out that DJI has got to be overwhelmed with questionable complaints (at least as far as the P2 is concerned).

That being said I would never fly over water not in Naza mode or without OSD. Way too risky in my opinion. I can't imagine flying any other way. Very comforting knowing exactly what is going on by flying FPV with OSD.

freyjoel said:
I agree with you there. Some batteries would have been a nice gesture. I was just trying to point out that DJI has got to be overwhelmed with questionable complaints (at least as far as the P2 is concerned).

That being said I would never fly over water not in Naza mode or without OSD. Way too risky in my opinion. I can't imagine flying any other way. Very comforting knowing exactly what is going on by flying FPV with OSD.

sorry to be dumb but what exactly is naza mode ! is that the bit in the assistant software top right hand tab that say phantom 2 mode or naza mode? also what dose OSD stand for !! sorry for the silly questions im new at this :?

i never received one in the box when i bought it !!! i have done most of my research on line i know that you can download one i was just interested why you thought Naza mode was dangerous over water !! and more importantly is my phantom in nasa or not ?

AFKI OSD means On Screen Display . i.e If you have a video link back from a camera on the Phantom it overlays flight data like height and speed etc etc on top of the video from the camera.

Naza is the name of the internal flight computer that controls the Phantom, (however on the P2 its just labeled as Phantom if you take the top off the P2, but its still basically a Naza -M (V2 I think in P2)

In the Assistant Software, there is what appears to be a label marked something like "Phantom", but its actually a button. If you press it you get a warning saying you shouldn't do this unless you are an experienced flier (or words to this effect)

But if you don't press it, you don't get all the features.

I was initially a bit put off after seeing the message, but after reading this forum it was obviously that its best to enable Naza mode, as it enables more features e.g. turning on fail safe using the bottom position of the right hand switch (I think its called S1 or Control Mode switch)

I will say that I completely recognize how tough it mush be on the company. Their product, if not used properly, will results in damage and loss. And, there is no way from them to truly verify anyone's claims when there is a true fly-away or loss. A crash due to a faulty motor or bad GPS module wold be easier to evaluate because they can always ask for the unit to be returned.

I have still only flown in Phantom 2 mode (because it does all I need my Phantom to do for my typical line of sight video flights). NAZA gives you more control options, like Course Lock and Home Lock, but also makes the device more prone to error, since there is more to mess up. Failsafe is an option for both modes, and well worth it!

There is a way to verify this but it costs money.

They Phantom needs telemetry recorded by the RC Tx unit. If this was saved to internal memory and readable via the RC assistant, or put into a SD card that was in the RC Tx before you flew, then most claims could be verified (well unless people could spoof the data, but there are probably ways around that).

The data from a crash could be sent back to DJI regardless of whether it crashed and sank in the water etc or just flew off, as the data would be retained in the RC TX.

I noticed that 3DR sell a telemetry Tx and Rx for their systems for $100, which sounds a good deal to me.

My first flight it became crystal clear that once the Phantom was more than 100 yards away it was really difficult to tell what direction it was moving. I immediately enabled Naza after that flight. With Naza enabled all you have to do is flick the switch down to Home Lock. At that point, pulling the stick back makes it come home, left is left, right is right, and forward means away from you. Easy!!!

Quadzilla. said:
chippy jfl said:
sorry still none the wiser !!!!!!!!!!!! on OSD or Nasa !!!!!!!

RTFM (Read The Fine Manual)

Nasa:

nasalogo_twitter.jpg

http://sleepy00.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/laughing-my-***-off-award2_0011.jpg

freyjoel said:
With Naza enabled all you have to do is flick the switch down to Home Lock. At that point, pulling the stick back makes it come home, left is left, right is right, and forward means away from you. Easy!!!

Good tip. Thanks.

Another tip is to paint or somehow colour the front of the phantom a different colour from the back.

I have blue prop guards on the front and white on the back and it makes things a bit easier, but if you don't have that, I guess painting the front arms of the phantom a nice bright colour e,g, orange would do the trick

Roger, I've noticed that there seems to be a higher incidence of rotorwash crashes and near-crashes where the phantom has prop guards on. How do you feel your Phantom handles when descending with prop guards?

I don't have them. When I was first flying I always wondered why the P2 would wobble so much when I was doing fast descents. I would drop it so fast I was afraid I would shut off the motors. Lucky I never crashed. Thanks to others discussing the rotorwash issue I'm super careful now. Just wondering though to what degree prop guards might make this worse considering the number of crash videos that show rapid descents and prop guards.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor