Phantom 2 flyways

dvm71 said:
Do we have any confirmed Phantom 2 flyways yet???

Christmas gift flyers just starting, so still a bit early.

Also may depend on definition of "confirmed". Operator error or mechanical/electrical/electronic/software failure.

I'm hoping fly offs a thing of the past.....ya right :)

Count me as a fly away. It split yesterday and was heading for orbit. No control whatsoever from the remote. Killing the remote had no effect and did not initiate home mode. Was saved by a giant tree or else it would have flown all the way back China :lol:

True though. Dealer is looking into it for me. 4th flyaway with this unit for me. First 3 flyaways I questioned as it could have been caused by me somehow and didn't put 2 and 2 together until yesterday's "launch" so haven't talked about it yet but when the incident happened yesterday there was no question for any of us that my unit is possessed and has a mind of its own.

I think you'll find a few flyaway from people who have never flown before and also haven't read the instructions. I watched a video of a vision flyaway. He was next to a train track and power lines. It was no surprise. If firmware is kept up to date and compass calibration is done correctly (not next to a giant metal pole) then flyaways shouldn't happen.

Ksc said:
I think you'll find a few flyaway from people who have never flown before and also haven't read the instructions. I watched a video of a vision flyaway. He was next to a train track and power lines. It was no surprise. If firmware is kept up to date and compass calibration is done correctly (not next to a giant metal pole) then flyaways shouldn't happen.

Middle of a football field. No power lines. IMU reports recalibrate in assistant even after recalibration. It's haunted. I'm sure you're correct, but not in my case.

Not sure if this counts as a flyaway (I think it doesn't).

I flew the Phantom 2 into a tree and it immediately went into (what looked like) Go Home mode. It gained altitude and wouldn't respond to my commands. Then it began drifting and (somewhat) slowly descending. Crashed and rolled in a field.

When it hit the tree, the tips of three props sheared off (about 1" each). Either a) the Phantom began to try to self-level, but with three failures, the "self level" over-rode the "maintain altitude" function; or b) it temporarily lost contact with the transmitter (only 20' away) and began Go Home mode, but unable to self-level, it drifted.

Either way, $20 worth of props later and I'm glad that's the only damage (well, my pride is damaged).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRnprbydL3k

Im finding Im having Phantom anxiety or "Phanxiety"
I have never had a flyaway but am finding Im getting more nervous with each outing.

Check my post on variations on compass calibration depending on environment.

Below is a brief description of what happened to my 4 day old Phantom 2 vision.

I opened the box and followed all instructions as per the DJI 'how to' videos

I then updated the firmware as recommended by DJI

My very first flight was in a clear open field with no obstacles or any overhead obstructions, at this point I carried out the compass calibration, it was a perfect first flight with no problems

My second flight I decided to make sure the return home feature was actually working by turning off the controller, sure enough it returned home and landed almost perfectly…..very pleased!

Over the next 3 days the weather had been good enough to carry out more flights in the same open field and other locations.

On day 4 Saturday the 28th December I felt confident enough to fly along my local beach in the morning around 9:15am

The first 10 mins into the flight was perfect as I proceeded down the beach at an altitude of around 70 feet travelling very slowly. All of a sudden the Phantom seemed to be being controlled by another signal,!! at this point the only command that appeared to work was the throttle up!! All other controls had no effect on the Phantom at all !!!! I did try every way but nothing was working !!!

I did manage to stop it crashing into a passing car by elevating up but the phantom seemed to be fixed hard left once it was over the sea I was left with no alternative but to quickly switch the controller to the off position in the hope that it might return home.

Unfortunately a few seconds later it ditched into the sea :-(

I am part of the crew at my local Lifeboat station so I went to my station, my colleague & I put our dry suits on and went to look as I still had the position of where it entered the water after 2 hrs of searching we decided it was lost, with our quick change in the weather & sea conditions we lost the battle to recover the Phantom.

I am still not sure why the Phantom behaved this way, up until this point it

chippy jfl said:
Below is a brief description of what happened to my 4 day old Phantom 2 vision.

I opened the box and followed all instructions as per the DJI 'how to' videos

I then updated the firmware as recommended by DJI

My very first flight was in a clear open field with no obstacles or any overhead obstructions, at this point I carried out the compass calibration, it was a perfect first flight with no problems

My second flight I decided to make sure the return home feature was actually working by turning off the controller, sure enough it returned home and landed almost perfectly…..very pleased!

Over the next 3 days the weather had been good enough to carry out more flights in the same open field and other locations.

On day 4 Saturday the 28th December I felt confident enough to fly along my local beach in the morning around 9:15am

The first 10 mins into the flight was perfect as I proceeded down the beach at an altitude of around 70 feet travelling very slowly. All of a sudden the Phantom seemed to be being controlled by another signal,!! at this point the only command that appeared to work was the throttle up!! All other controls had no effect on the Phantom at all !!!! I did try every way but nothing was working !!!

I did manage to stop it crashing into a passing car by elevating up but the phantom seemed to be fixed hard left once it was over the sea I was left with no alternative but to quickly switch the controller to the off position in the hope that it might return home.

Unfortunately a few seconds later it ditched into the sea :-(

I am part of the crew at my local Lifeboat station so I went to my station, my colleague & I put our dry suits on and went to look as I still had the position of where it entered the water after 2 hrs of searching we decided it was lost, with our quick change in the weather & sea conditions we lost the battle to recover the Phantom.

I am still not sure why the Phantom behaved this way, up until this point it

I'm thinking there wasn't a good satellite lock of 7 or more satellites for the return home not to work right. Also his controls going out could mean he needed to do a controller calibration. Regardless of the reasons for this unfortunate incident. This post is a good example of why not to fly at sea, or if you will be flying over sea to put floats on the legs just in case something random like this happens.

Just courious if anyone have hear about a flyaway for an unit controlled by a Futuba or another RC and not with a stock one.

Also the above flyaway was Phantom 2 vision…not a phantom 2 naked. Both are on different freqs.

dvm71 said:
Also the above flyaway was Phantom 2 vision…not a phantom 2 naked. Both are on different freqs.

P2 is more opened to interferences as PV. 2.4 GHz is used by WiFi devices (full of intererences into cities), 5.8 Ghz is used by cordless phones and some FPV devices (try to pilot a PV2 in range of couple FPV planes :lol: ). Can be more in each side but at least these are common. But 2.4 GHz is better for a RC (lower Ghz ... better signal). If use a Rx that check the code key of linked Tx to be sure that is the owner, then you will avoid a lots of problems. In same time a powerful Tx will override easier another weak signals.

To be honest I didn't have a lot of time to try the anti S1switch this all happened in about 15 seconds I first tried every joy stick to see if i could possibly regain control, once I realised this was not working I went straight for the fail safe by turning the controller off about 6 seconds later it ditched the phantom did not even aper to try and slow down or react to the fail safe !!! it was flat out full speed heading hard left and down it was clear I had absolutely no control !!!! i was stood between the 2 end seats on the stone jetty (picture above) when all this happened so not even that far away from where it ditched I also had 9 satellites locked went it ditched !!!! hence the red pin mark still cant believe it !!! :cry:
I wonder if Colin Guinn has an explanation as to and why this happened ??
or if DJI will help with this !!

Attachments

• Image 2.jpg
    Image 2.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 622
Flyway questions

Happy New Year all!

I have a few related questions:

1. How common are flyaways? Probably an impossible question to answer...

2. Is there a list of things to avoid/do to prevent flyaways?

3. Is there some kind of GPS type tracker that can be added to the Phantom to help find a flyaway?

Clyde

Re: Flyway questions

ClydeDale said:
Happy New Year all!

I have a few related questions:

1. How common are flyaways? Probably an impossible question to answer...

2. Is there a list of things to avoid/do to prevent flyaways?

3. Is there some kind of GPS type tracker that can be added to the Phantom to help find a flyaway?

Clyde

If you click the "Active Topics" button at the top of the forum you will see threads discussing those very questions.

dvm71 said:
Do we have any confirmed Phantom 2 flyways yet???

I am with the oppinion that this flyaway story has to do with electromagnetic or 2.4ghz interference ... i completed today 390 flights 95% phantom 1 and 5% phantom2 ... never had any flyaway horror story ... all of my flights were nature landscape flights. I am living in a relativly small town in a medeteranean island ... my phantom 1 is old version change motors twice after crazy flights .. but never ever had a fly away !

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31