Phantom 2 + Dronexpert RX100 kit + DJI iOSD-mini

Peter Evans said:
:oops: Duh! I just realised that I forgot to upload, and point you to, the video that made me decide I needed the Zenmuse 3D and a GoPro 3+ BE in order to shoot decent video footage.

https://vimeo.com/91942779
That does not look too bad to me but I have to admit that once you have seen gimballed video you realise it is the only way to go. The third axis stuff I have seen from V+ also makes that a prerequisite imo.

Shame you are grounded now that spring has sprung and I hope you get all sorted soon :)

OK, here's the latest. The whole Dronexpert RX100 platform idea has been aborted. Dronexpert are not communicating with Studiosport so I have completely lost faith and confidence in them and their product

Studiosport are similarly disappointed and have sent me a returns label/voucher for free postage of the mounting and FPV kit back to them. They say that they'll give me a full refund and then sling the thing back to Dronexpert in Holland.

So, how am I now going to manage to get high quality stills and also a decent standard of video?

Well, I've discovered that if I set the RX100 to continuous shooting of RAW + large fine JPEG and lock the shutter button down, the camera will take a shot every 3 seconds until the card is full. This means that, with an 8 Gb Sandisk Extreme card, I get 17 minutes of shooting, which is about equal to my flight time :)

So, I have ordered the Zenmuse H3-3D and a GoPro 3+ BE for video use.

For stills I have designed (on paper) a very lightweight platform (made from Wedi board) which will place the lens of the RX100 just below the GoPro (but without risk of fouling the GoPro or the gimbal). Before take off I'll put the Zenmuse in 'FPV mode' and align the angle of the two cameras. This way, with a bit of practice, I can use the GoPro as a 'viewfinder' for the RX100 as it continues shooting at one shot every three seconds.

I will make my life easier by substituting the GoPro lens for one of these
http://peauproductions.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=124_126_127&products_id=582 . This will give me a horizontal angle of view of 78° compared to the Sony's 65.5° and will be close enough to get decent framing (with practice). It also make my videos more cinematic and less 'GoPro-ish' (I hope!)

Anyway, that's it - the end of my Dronexpert RX100 mount experiment. I hope my experience has been useful to others of like mind.

I'll report on the new arrangement when it's been delivered, set up, and is in use (the Zenmuse H3-3Ds are expected in stock at Studiosport on 24th April)

Peter Evans said:
OK, here's the latest. The whole Dronexpert RX100 platform idea has been aborted. Dronexpert are not communicating with Studiosport so I have completely lost faith and confidence in them and their product

Studiosport are similarly disappointed and have sent me a returns label/voucher for free postage of the mounting and FPV kit back to them. They say that they'll give me a full refund and then sling the thing back to Dronexpert in Holland.

So, how am I now going to manage to get high quality stills and also a decent standard of video?

Well, I've discovered that if I set the RX100 to continuous shooting of RAW + large fine JPEG and lock the shutter button down, the camera will take a shot every 3 seconds until the card is full. This means that, with an 8 Gb Sandisk Extreme card, I get 17 minutes of shooting, which is about equal to my flight time :)

For stills I have designed (on paper) a very lightweight platform (made from Wedi board) which will place the lens of the RX100 just below the GoPro (but without risk of fouling the GoPro or the gimbal). Before take off I'll put the Zenmuse in 'FPV mode' and align the angle of the two cameras. This way, with a bit of practice, I can use the GoPro as a 'viewfinder' for the RX100 as it continues shooting at one shot every three seconds.

I will make my life easier by substituting the GoPro lens for one of these
http://peauproductions.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=124_126_127&products_id=582 . This will give me a horizontal angle of view of 78° compared to the Sony's 65.5° and will be close enough to get decent framing (with practice). It also make my videos more cinematic and less 'GoPro-ish' (I hope!)

Anyway, that's it - the end of my Dronexpert RX100 mount experiment. I hope my experience has been useful to others of like mind.

I'll report on the new arrangement when it's been delivered, set up, and is in use (the Zenmuse H3-3Ds are expected in stock at Studiosport on 24th April)

Can't you just change the FOV option in the GoPro to medium to achieve the same?

Sledge said:
Can't you just change the FOV option in the GoPro to medium to achieve the same?

Actually, you're right (almost). Thanks! I just checked the GoPro website and for my 'viewfinder use' I could set the GoPro to Narrow because that is supposed to be equivalent to 28mm on a full frame and 28mm is what I'll be using with the Sony.

I'll experiment with shooting video using Medium to begin with and if there's too much distortion, I'll go for this to correct it http://peauproductions.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=124_126_127&products_id=579

Blimey this saga just keeps on going :) I am not so sad about your news on Dronexpert to be honest. Once you have identified a shyster its best to back away. Thanks for being the guinea pig on that mount, you have done good service to the flying community there. They are not going to be selling anymore of those I think.

Its an interesting idea you have now but I can't imagine how your going to do it. Need a quick drawing I think. As for the framing, that of course will only ever be a rough guide. The zenmuse/gopro will give you a nice steady frame but of course the RX100 could be tilted at 25 deg due to wind and you would only know once your on the ground.

It hardly matters though (said the non-professional) as you can straighten and crop with that superior image quality from the RX100.

I await further reports :)

Peter Evans said:

Do I understand correctly that you plan to fly with Zenmuse/GoPro and Sony RX100 simutaneously?
Seems like that would be an awful lot of weight to lift.

Shrimpfarmer said:
Its an interesting idea you have now but I can't imagine how your going to do it. Need a quick drawing I think.

I need to have the Zenmuse and the GoPro here in my hands before I know how it will be achieved exactly. But I just know that there's a way.

Shrimpfarmer said:
As for the framing, that of course will only ever be a rough guide. The zenmuse/gopro will give you a nice steady frame but of course the RX100 could be tilted at 25 deg due to wind and you would only know once your on the ground.

I won't be doing it when it's windy ;)

For stills, it would be nice if there were a way to switch off the Zenmuse when flying (but keep the video feed, obviously) but it's not essential.

syotr said:
Do I understand correctly that you plan to fly with Zenmuse/GoPro and Sony RX100 simutaneously?

Total weight will be 1,546g. Studiosport say that, as a means to get a still shot from the air, it's just about doable (i.e. no long distance, no bobbing and weaving, no speed record or altitude attempts - just get up, get into position, get the shot and get down again, bit like an aerial tripod). Maximum flight time in southwestern French sunshine is estimated at 13 - 15 minutes.

In this post, forum member EMCSQUAR says he's getting over 1.5kg off the ground and getting 13 minutes flight time in very cold weather - http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10594#p91668.

Echo Shrimpfarmer's comments about thanking you for all your work. As a matter of coincidence I have almost also made the decision to forget about the DE mount. Now the latest plan (fwiw) is to self build a hex-copter (Tarot 680) and fly two cameras - one for fpv/composition and the RX for photography. Just need to see if there is a gimbal suitable for it.

Edit: no idea if DE read these forums but imo they have let a huge opportunity slip from between their fingers. They had a great chance for so much free publicity and I am confident when Peter finally gets up and running there will be droves wanting the image quality offered in an almost RTF format that the little RX will produce.

Peter Evans said:
syotr said:

Total weight will be 1,546g. Studiosport say that, as a means to get a still shot from the air, it's just about doable (i.e. no long distance, no bobbing and weaving, no speed record or altitude attempts - just get up, get into position, get the shot and get down again, bit like an aerial tripod). Maximum flight time in southwestern French sunshine is estimated at 13 - 15 minutes.

In this post, forum member EMCSQUAR says he's getting over 1.5kg off the ground and getting 13 minutes flight time in very cold weather - http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10594#p91668.
If you are just trying to get up, take some stills and land, why have the GoPro and gimbal attached? If you are shooting video, why carry the Rx100? I expect that over 1500g, it's going to be a pig to fly and risk trashing some expensive gear.
I can see using a small fpv camera and transmitter for lining up the shot with the Rx100. This would be a lot less weight than the GoPro and gimbal.
Just my 2 cents...

syotr said:
If you are just trying to get up, take some stills and land, why have the GoPro and gimbal attached?

As I explained, so that I can use the GoPro to line up and frame the shot, using the same angle of view as the RX100

syotr said:
If you are shooting video, why carry the Rx100?

Er, I won't be :? The RX100 isn't a permanent fixture, it will only be attached when I want to shoot stills.

I honestly don't think the weight will be a major issue for this purpose; it won't exactly be flitting through the sky. Again, as I said, others have flown similar weights without trashing any gear.

I welcome your 2 cents, but the proof of the pudding will be in the eating. We'll see in a couple of weeks :)

Peter Evans said:
syotr said:
If you are just trying to get up, take some stills and land, why have the GoPro and gimbal attached?

I welcome your 2 cents, but the proof of the pudding will be in the eating. We'll see in a couple of weeks :)
Look forward to seeing your setup. let us know how it works out.
I have considered attaching a small FPV camera behind my RX100 and focusing it on the LCD screen. I would add a cardboard shroud to block outside light. That way I could see exactly what the camera was seeing (even with the camera zoomed to full tele) for shooting hi res videos and stills.

syotr said:
I can see using a small fpv camera and transmitter for lining up the shot with the Rx100. This would be a lot less weight than the GoPro and gimbal.
Just my 2 cents...

I find this an interesting option. Can you provide an example product like that?

I haven't compared weights of cameras, but what Peter is proposing seems similar to attaching a Sony RX100 to a Phantom Vision, i.e. use the Vision camera, FC200, as the means to line up the RX100 as it takes shots at pre-programmed intervals. I don't think you can narrow the field of vision to 28mm equiv though.

I read about Anti-Gravity motors for the Phantom 2. Maybe that's one way to handle the added mass. Add some extra-high legs for take-offs, but plan to catch it instead of land it.

syotr said:
I have considered attaching a small FPV camera behind my RX100 and focusing it on the LCD screen. I would add a cardboard shroud to block outside light. That way I could see exactly what the camera was seeing (even with the camera zoomed to full tele) for shooting hi res videos and stills.

That's an interesting alternative that I hadn't considered and it's certainly one I'll bear in mind if, for some reason, my plan doesn't work out. Can you get one of those tiny cameras to focus that close? I have no experience of them.

Peter (and others), have you seen the lens replacement for the new V+ camera ?
The guy said this flat lens was around $150 alone so maybe this will produce video as good as the gopro .....

Very interested to see the results (the thread is over at the V+ forum)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=64aBR_j2340

The sensor is the same size as the gopro and is reported to be from the same factory that makes the gopro sensor. The stills will not be as good presumably as the RX but if it outperforms the gopro then it could be an exciting prospect .....

Edit: Really quite excited now as I have been reading about people putting these lenses in their gopro 3's and they have printed stills successfully at 8 x 10 and they are jpgs. There is every chance that a processed DNG would be considerably better. I know you (Peter) want to print larger sizes than this but this could be the answer I have been looking for (and cheap !).

pault said:
The guy said this flat lens was around $150 alone so maybe this will produce video as good as the gopro .....

Edit: Really quite excited now as I have been reading about people putting these lenses in their gopro 3's and they have printed stills successfully at 8 x 10 and they are jpgs. There is every chance that a processed DNG would be considerably better. I know you (Peter) want to print larger sizes than this but this could be the answer I have been looking for (and cheap !).

It sounds like this is what you may have been searching for Paul. I hope so!

Bonne chance mon ami :)

Peter Evans said:
pault said:

It sounds like this is what you may have been searching for Paul. I hope so!

Bonne chance mon ami :)

Thank you Peter :)

It turns out this is the same lens (or similar) that Ragecams use for their upgrade - just a tad cheaper at €179 !
The main attraction other than the image quality is the ease of installation and if, as I suspect, it will perfom as well or better than an unmodified gopro 3 then the V+ will clean up in the RTF market. It has everything that people seem to want - extended range & a 3 axis gimbal.
However, nothing is straightforward with this drone malarkey. The reason that I was leaning towards a Hexcopter is that here in the UK a licence to fly commercially is in part aircraft specific. Should my embryonic business idea take off (pardon the pun) I might want to fly a dslr in the future and the Tarot could do that if needed. A qualification based on a phantom platform would limit me to that only.

Dilemmas, dilemmas !

pault said:

Very interested to see the results (the thread is over at the V+ forum)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=64aBR_j2340

The sensor is the same size as the gopro and is reported to be from the same factory that makes the gopro sensor. The stills will not be as good presumably as the RX but if it outperforms the gopro then it could be an exciting prospect .....

Questions:

- Isn't it the data rate that the GoPro has over the PV+ more than the lens quality?
- wont this produce a narrower FOV and thus ultimately a smaller megapixel image?

Peter Evans said:
That's an interesting alternative that I hadn't considered and it's certainly one I'll bear in mind if, for some reason, my plan doesn't work out. Can you get one of those tiny cameras to focus that close? I have no experience of them.
With most of these cameras, you can just unscrew the lens a bit and they will focus very close. I have one that I used as a borescope and had it focusing within 6mm of the front of the lens.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka