Phantom 2 + Dronexpert RX100 kit + DJI iOSD-mini

Peter Evans said:
You see where I'm confused is that the RX100 outputs its video through that micro-HDMI port so, by definition, the dronexpert mount must be receiving an HD signal. But it can't be transmitting one surely? :? So, maybe there is an HD to composite converter inside the dronexpert mount. And if so, it must be possible to get a feed from the Zenmuse video out which then taps in to the dronexpert mount at the point where the composite video signal is being transmitted to the remote monitor.

I don't know about the dronexpert transmitter exactly, but an HDMI cable can indeed carry SD video...it doesn't have to be an HD signal to use that. Like you I'd be very surprised if that Tx broadcast HD, so the feed is obviously originated in SD (from the camera) or stepped down at some point before transmission...I can't say where though.

OI Photography said:
I don't know about the dronexpert transmitter exactly, but an HDMI cable can indeed carry SD video...it doesn't have to be an HD signal to use that. Like you I'd be very surprised if that Tx broadcast HD, so the feed is obviously originated in SD (from the camera) or stepped down at some point before transmission...I can't say where though.

OK!! I didn't know that! Brilliant! So, let's pretend we're dronexpert geeks designing this RX100 mount. We have two choices:

1. We take the SD feed coming down the ribbon cable from the RX100's HDMI output and we transmit that to the monitor
or
2. We take the HD feed coming down the ribbon cable from the RX100's HDMI output, we then feed that into an HD to SD converter that we've had to buy or make ourselves, and then we transmit that SD signal to the monitor

I know which route I'd choose :lol:

Now, if that really is the case then rigging an 'extension' connector that takes the SD feed from the Zenmuse and terminates in an HDMI socket that duplicates the one on the RX100 should be simple. And once we have that, we're home free!

I'll contact Studiosport and dronexpert. Between them they should be able to come up with something :D

Peter Evans said:
I know which route I'd choose :lol:

Now, if that really is the case then rigging an 'extension' connector that takes the SD feed from the Zenmuse and terminates in an HDMI socket that duplicates the one on the RX100 should be simple. And once we have that, we're home free!

I'll contact Studiosport and dronexpert. Between them they should be able to come up with something :D

I agree with your efficient wisdom ;)

Yes, my guess is that would be the best way to go...just find out by what method you can connect an SD signal to their Tx, and then use the feed off the Phantom's board (from Zenmuse) to go to that.

Shrimpfarmer said:
You just need to ensure you pick up the video feed after its been mixed with the Mini IOSD overlay.....

Good point I didn't think of! If an OSD is in the mix, the signal will need to be SD before it gets to that.

Shrimpfarmer said:
You just need to ensure you pick up the video feed after its been mixed with the Mini IOSD overlay.....

actually, that's not an issue because Studiosport wired the iOSD-mini into the dronexpert mount. It sits on the mount like this

_DSC9413-iOSD-close.jpg

The out of focus brown/yellow/orange cable you can just see exiting the iOSD-mini feeds inside the dronexpert mount.

Peter Evans said:
The out of focus brown/yellow/orange cable you can just see exiting the iOSD-mini feeds inside the dronexpert mount.

Well that clears it up then, the signal is in SD before it gets to the dronexpert mount. You don't need to even bother opening the shell to access the output port/cable I mentioned, that's what's feeding the iOSD already.

OK, well Studiosport came back to me this morning and they suggested I forget using the Dronexpert mount as the video transmitter with the Zenmuse for reasons of weight and aerodynamics. They said that for an extra 55 to 89 euros they can fix (with Velcro straps) a new transmitter to the Zenmuse + GoPro system which would be compatible with the Dronexpert monitor. The whole system would then function and fly well and be easily demountable.

They would move the iOSD-mini to the Phantom so it could be used with both systems.

No charge for the labour costs in setting it up and testing.

So that's it. I've pretty much made my decision !

Phantom 2 + iOSD mini
For Video : GoPro Hero3+ Black with Zenmuse H3-3D and whatever transmitter seems best
For Stills : Sony RX100 and Dronexpert carbon-fibre mount (incl transmitter)
Both using the Dronexpert monitor / DVR

Thanks to everyone for their time and trouble in helping me get to this point :D

I've looked on the Studiosport website and I see these transmitters available. Immersion, FatShark and SGV:
http://www.studiosport.fr/emetteurs-recepteurs-transmission-5-8-ghz-c-963_32_173.html
and others:
http://www.studiosport.fr/emetteurs-recepteurs-transmission-5-8-ghz-bis-c-963_32_275.html

Any suggestions as to preference? The monitor has 24 channels so that shouldn't be an issue.

I would be tempted to let them recommend a transmitter that is known to work with the monitor. I have had a good experience with the Immersion RC600. Don't know if it supports that monitor though.

Now Peter, all you need to do now is make sure you don't get a bum Gopro 3+ Black. Be aware that some of the older stock models had a focus issue which was no good for us quad fliers. All the new ones should now be problem free but just dont buy it from somewhere with a very slow turn over or you could be back to square one :)

Shrimpfarmer said:
I would be tempted to let them recommend a transmitter that is known to work with the monitor. I have had a good experience with the Immersion RC600. Don't know if it supports that monitor though.

+1

The 24 channels on the monitor may or may not include the exact group of 8 channels used by whatever Tx...there's at least 4 groups of channels commonly used in FPV, so it sounds like that monitor is missing at least one of those groups.

OI Photography said:
The 24 channels on the monitor may or may not include the exact group of 8 channels used by whatever Tx...there's at least 4 groups of channels commonly used in FPV, so it sounds like that monitor is missing at least one of those groups.

OK, I'll leave it up to them. At the rate I'm going, 30 euros difference is neither here nor there in the whole scale of things.

Shrimpfarmer said:
Now Peter, all you need to do now is make sure you don't get a bum Gopro 3+ Black. Be aware that some of the older stock models had a focus issue which was no good for us quad fliers. All the new ones should now be problem free but just dont buy it from somewhere with a very slow turn over or you could be back to square one :)

Oh no! :shock: F*ckity f*ckity f*ck! Jeez, is nothing simple? :roll: Am I going to have to trawl the web now, looking for serial numbers of recent models?

OK, let's start with you, Ken.

1. Do you have one
2. If so, is it OK?
3. If so, what serial number does it carry?

:lol:

EDIT: I don't bloody belieeeve it! I just found this Hero3+ Black 'Infinity focus mod' on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnLdpSRMsEs

Seems like I've just come full circle! Remember this? http://www.phantompilots.com/viewforum.php?f=7&start=100
:cry:

I thought my helpful little tip might just push you over the edge. :lol:

There are serial numbers but they are no longer valid as I have seen posts where people have had good and bad ones from all serial numbers. I have 2. One is the Gopro 3+ Black. The other is a Hero 3 Black. Both are fine.

That is great service from Studiosport. I wonder if they now realise the potential of your new setup and are thinking of making their own version of the DE mount. There must be considerable sales potential for a video/stills combo that would rival much more expensive hex-copter setups.

pault said:
That is great service from Studiosport. I wonder if they now realise the potential of your new setup and are thinking of making their own version of the DE mount. There must be considerable sales potential for a video/stills combo that would rival much more expensive hex-copter setups.

Yes, I've been very lucky to find a guy at Studiosport in Rouen who lived in Edinburgh for several years and who says he's taken charge of my case and won't rest until it's resolved. When it's all over and done, I'm going to make sure I sing their praises (especially his) all over the interweb :D

Excluding the cost of the cameras and spare batteries, I'm going to end up with a system that allows me to swap between taking great stills and shooting great video footage for 1,800 euros or £1,480 at today's exchange rate.

Peter Evans said:
Yes, I've been very lucky to find a guy at Studiosport in Rouen who lived in Edinburgh for several years and who says he's taken charge of my case and won't rest until it's resolved. When it's all over and done, I'm going to make sure I sing their praises (especially his) all over the interweb :D
A stroke of luck. I always used to tell the sales guys at work the old adage, "people buy from people". You need the backup of a good organisation obviously but nothing can beat a personable/likeable representative. Just a pity you did not have the same experience at DE.

pault said:
Any updates Peter ?

Nope. I'm in limbo at the moment. As discussed above, I will be sending the whole lot back to Studiosport for a complete refit but I'm not prepared to do that until they have everything there waiting for me. The Zenmuse is expected in stock on the 24th and Studiosport are also still awaiting Dronexpert's exchange mount.

Having said that, I'm worried about flying it at all in case I accidentally damage the mount and give DE an excuse to back out of the deal. Catch 22 really.

At least I've had time to update the Phantom's firmware to v3.0 and the iOSD-mini to v1.06 :roll:

:oops: Duh! I just realised that I forgot to upload, and point you to, the video that made me decide I needed the Zenmuse 3D and a GoPro 3+ BE in order to shoot decent video footage.

https://vimeo.com/91942779

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT